The horror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
Just watch that you don't have a rim die from excessive concavity as you are going downhill... Having had a rear rim go (when I was going uphill, thank the cycling gods) I'd replace the front one, at least.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
the all singing and dancing new one should be ready on Friday week so only nine and a half days left for this faithful old banger, it's only starting to dawn on me that both wheels are probably well past their life, the rims are very noticeably concave, the brake levers are shagged, the brakes themselves are very dodgy ad the drive train must be on it's last legs

it's a shame because I'm doing some of the quickest riding of my life on it I suspect
thanks for that rim warning, are there any warning signs other than 'excessive concavity'?

do want to keep it for messing around with the kids, got one of those gator arms coming shortly for my three year old and I don't think the Fratello carbon seat post is going to like that to much

if it last the two weeks, perhaps a low octane twilight trundling around will be ok for it

davidwalton

NickM said:
Just watch that you don't have a rim die from excessive concavity as you are going downhill... Having had a rear rim go (when I was going uphill, thank the cycling gods) I'd replace the front one, at least.

I shouldn't get that problem with Disc brakes. I always thought rim brakes were just wrong. Might be effective way to have brakes, but the rim has a more important job, ie. keeping the wheel together.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
do want to keep it for messing around with the kids, got one of those gator arms coming shortly for my three year old and I don't think the Fratello carbon seat post is going to like that to much

Got one of them. Not a bad bit of kit, but don't be shy of putting a bit of torque on the fixing bolts!

Hint - if the kids bikes got stabilisers, change the nuts for wing nuts. You can them pop 'em on easy at the other end and MiniTynan can pootle around unaided

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
thanks Gambatte, a few friends have them and say good things, I'm not afraid of torque, spec if it's attaching the son and heir to the back of the bike

and good tip re wingnuts, he's only three but asking for the stabilisers to come off, a trip to the park to see if he can hack it is due I think

yes to pootle, otherwise I'd have gone for one of those natty one wheeled bolt on affairs

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
davidwalton said:
I shouldn't get that problem with Disc brakes. I always thought rim brakes were just wrong. Might be effective way to have brakes, but the rim has a more important job, ie. keeping the wheel together.

Rim brakes are just extremely large diameter disc brakes!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
not really a useful margin that is it

biking_fox

Guru
close inspection shows cracks in the metal. Particular concern are those running around the rim....

I tried changing the tyre on a rim I knew was weak (and cracked) and just the force of the tyre levers was enough to break the rim off!:smile:

Very very glad I'd replaced that wheel a while back. It couldn't have stood much more more cycling or breaking.

I carry 2 tubes, a pkit and one of Halfraud's convertable trackstand pumps. So far I've been impressed with it.
Slightly larger and heavier than a standard mini - but not by much.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
no spare wheel?

suspect something fundamental will go wrong with the ride shortly, odd noises

one week and two days to go ...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Disc brakes are a good addition to bikes, but have no place on a road bike - my road bikes will out stop my MTB easily... and they aren't dual pivot....

Standard rim brakes are fine on a road bike - they have never failed to stop me from 40-50 mph into a hair pin.....all weathers....

On a commuter, discs would be great though, but fugly on a road bike....

ChipSeal

Tynan said:
...and good tip re wingnuts, he's only three but asking for the stabilisers to come off, a trip to the park to see if he can hack it is due I think

yes to pootle, otherwise I'd have gone for one of those natty one wheeled bolt on affairs

I take your meaning that he may try his hand at solo? Do consider taking the pedals off along with the stabilizers. He will have the security of putting his feet down as he gets the hang of balancing. When he has that part down, replace the pedals. This method of learning to cycle seems to work better than learning to balance and pedal at the same time.

This is good advice for adults learning to cycle, as well.

It is such a nifty idea, I wish I had thought of it myself!

Best wishes to Master Tynan!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
ChipSeal said:
I take your meaning that he may try his hand at solo? Do consider taking the pedals off along with the stabilizers. He will have the security of putting his feet down as he gets the hang of balancing. When he has that part down, replace the pedals. This method of learning to cycle seems to work better than learning to balance and pedal at the same time.

This is good advice for adults learning to cycle, as well.

It is such a nifty idea, I wish I had thought of it myself!

Best wishes to Master Tynan!

Well, my meaning was that with the trailgator you don't use stabilisers. Therefore at the far end of the ride you could put the stabilisers on, if req'd. On the ride itself you could have the stabilisers fitted upside down.

Trailgator themselves flog something similar. Couple of wingnuts is cheaper.

But yeah, I've been using the 'no pedal' idea with the young 'un.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
never heard of the no pedals idea

instinct tells me that feet on pedals is integral to balance, I've been drumming into him to keep his feet on the pedals in moments of doubt

he's only 3 and a half but very forward, not 100% sure if he's old enough yet tbh

I left it a bit late with my first and she got the hang of it ludicrously quickly

Top Bottom