The horror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
BentMikey said:
Like a like-a-bike? Just awesome, far far better than stabilisers.

why?

stabilisers are a necessary evil but they're still riding a proper bike with brakes and pedals and so on

those look like toys for indoors

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I used to think stabilisers too, then I put miniMikey the pikey on the LIDL equivalent like-a-bike, and he was balancing for short distances within a half hour, and riding a proper bicycle soon afterwards.

Stabilisers are nowhere near as good.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Looking at the price of those 'like a bikes', do they have any advantage over going to Argos, getting a £25-£30 kids bike and removing the bottom bracket/crank etc?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
gambatte said:
Looking at the price of those 'like a bikes', do they have any advantage over going to Argos, getting a £25-£30 kids bike and removing the bottom bracket/crank etc?
According to an article in y'day's guardian, "But now experts are arguing that stabilisers, which for decades have been used to help children learn to cycle, could actually be hindering their progress, and they are launching an experiment to prove it."

and

"the experiment, which will see campaign workers train parents and teachers to instruct children how to ride bikes without stabilisers .... will use the smallest Raleigh bikes available, some with the pedals removed"

Which would tend to bear out your implicit assumption that anyone shelling out £150 for a wooden bike with no pedals is investing in their own supposedly green credentials rather than anything to do with their kids' cycling experience.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I got mine from Lidl for 26.99, and the following year they did them for 9.99. There's no need to shell out £150, and I'm sure many normal bikes would work just as well with the pedals off.

Top Bottom