The hot humid night thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
I've just found the Sleep like an Egyptian method.I may try that tonight if things are bad.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just did 75mins on the turbo, perspiring copiously, now cooling off with a lager in one of my new Dad cups.
The athletic context gives entirely the wrong image for "Dad cups" and what might be getting cooled off. :eek:

all fans do is move warm air about and make noise.

the swamp cooler a few posts up is what you need ( unless thats what you were buying the fan for)
+1. Fans can be helpful for pulling air in or pushing air out through an open window too, though. I collected some tips years ago at http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/lynn#howtonotmelt

Was doing fine last night but the tube was horrid. When I came out I was sweating like @User in a bakers
Would have been better by bike! It's not bad weather for wafting along on a three-speed, although it's best to pick routes where you shouldn't have to wait in the full sun.

classic33

Leg End Member
The heat and humidity is torrid. 10pm and I'm sweating like Cliff Richard when the doorbell rings. I'm laying here on the bed, near nekked, ceiling fan going, back of the house open, and its still dripping off me.

I suspect I'm not the only one suffering and not getting much sleep, so thought I'd start a thread for us all to moan in.
Does raise the question of why do you only "sweat like Cliff Richard" when the doorbell rings.
You manage okay if it doesn't ring?

Tin Pot

Guru
I went scubadiving yesterday. at a lake by heathrow ( glamourous eh ! ) wore my drysuit with just a tshirt. and shorts.

thought i was a bit rufty tufty.

then I saw a lady waering just a swimming cossie. going in.
Thorpe Lake?

Too hot for a wetsuit, let alone a dry suit!

classic33

Leg End Member
I have the answer. Build your house upside down. We sleep on the lower ground floor. In this weather it's a real godsend.

Carry on.
Care to rephrase that?
Yeh but, doesn't putting the garage on the top floor make getting the cars in a bit problematic?
How does it work with all the drains and sewers at the top?
Yorkshire gravity!
A few miles up the road, rain was officially recorded as falling up.

The athletic context gives entirely the wrong image for "Dad cups" and what might be getting cooled off. :eek:

+1. Fans can be helpful for pulling air in or pushing air out through an open window too, though. I collected some tips years ago at http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/lynn#howtonotmelt

Would have been better by bike! It's not bad weather for wafting along on a three-speed, although it's best to pick routes where you shouldn't have to wait in the full sun.
I usually try and cycle on stupid hot days but could not arrange it with work schedule today.

Tin Pot

Guru
Got a 9am with a potential client in central London tomorrow. Reckon I'll be all "wet tshirt contest" by the time I get there.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yeh but, doesn't putting the garage on the top floor make getting the cars in a bit problematic?
Funnily enough, the room under the garage is my office and music room. Top floor is lounge, kitchen, dining room and garage. We go down to bed.

classic33

Leg End Member
I remember watching a mate's kid playing soccer at West End. The rain was blowing uphill onto the pitch. That has got to be the most miserable sports pitch I've ever seen.
Head West along the M62. Up around the reservoirs, the Met Office recorded rain falling upwards.

Top Bottom