The Hour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
Instead of heading out on one of my usual routes this morning I decided to head up to the track at Preston Park and have a go at "The Hour"

I made it 21.43 miles and wasn't a quivering wreck at the end which I'm reasonably pleased with for a first go:smile:

It's very much not my usual type of riding (I make my rides as up and down as possible!) and I've never done a time trial or been on a track before for that matter.
The wind, even though it was very slight, really disrupted my rhythm. I also started a bit too soon after breakfastxx(

Still, it was good fun, in it's own way. And quite mentally challenging...I wanted to give up at 30 mins as I was really bored but I got into it more in the second half.

So, feel free to post your distances if you've had a go.
I'll be trying to beat mine again, can definitely do better!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That's quite a tough track I found Joe. It's slightly uphill on the back straight which makes it hard to get a rythym. I've only done a 10 k on it but I'll try and do an hour one day.
The day I did my bit, there were a group of kids playing footie in the middle and took great delight in hoofing the ball at me every so often. Probably irresistable as a kid! I ended up getting them to time my laps and they were cheering me on in the end.
Judging by you times up the Beacon I suspect I'll be some way off your 'record'!

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
That sounds great, lap times and dodging footballs!
I went really early to catch the best of the weather and I only saw a couple of people. One lady was walking around the track. Not speed walking or anything mind, just a gentle stroll...around and around:wacko:
Definitely hard to get a good rhythm going, I was dreading a certain section of the track.
The good news is I beat the original hour record, set in 1876:biggrin: It's not about the bike of course;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Joe said:
That sounds great, lap times and dodging footballs!
I went really early to catch the best of the weather and I only saw a couple of people. One lady was walking around the track. Not speed walking or anything mind, just a gentle stroll...around and around:wacko:
Definitely hard to get a good rhythm going, I was dreading a certain section of the track.
The good news is I beat the original hour record, set in 1876:biggrin: It's not about the bike of course;)

Fair play, joe. That was a carbon penny farthing that bloke used:biggrin:

Top Bottom