The "How Much?" / "Having a Giraffe!" Café thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSid

Guru
When I bought my current bike, I actually inflated the cost to my wife by £300, so that I could also buy a Wahoo bike computer at the same time :smile: The bike was actually £2100, I told her £2400.

I have a friend who always inflates prices when her husband asks how much anything was. Goes something like this.

"How much was that new dress?"
"£200."
"£200!! You spent £200 on a dress! I can't believe you've spent £200 on a $%&**%$ dress!!"
"Just winding you up. It was only £95."
"Oh, thank *£$*% for that."

If she'd have said £95 as an opening bid he'd have been just as mad as hearing £200. It's just that now it sounds like a bargain.
He falls for it every time.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I saw this in this months Which, and thought it's a bit steep:

1695900910814.png

So I dug out this quote I had in 2005:

1695901133110.png

That's a 10 to 13 fold increase in 18 years!

Alex321

Veteran
I saw this in this months Which, and thought it's a bit steep:

View attachment 708022

So I dug out this quote I had in 2005:

View attachment 708023

That's a 10 to 13 fold increase in 18 years!

Not sure I follow your maths?

You don't say what type of house that quote was for, but even if it were for a detached, it is just less than a 3 fold increase, from £170 to £500.

If the quote was for a terraced house, then it is less than 10% increase.

newts

Veteran
Not sure I follow your maths?

You don't say what type of house that quote was for, but even if it were for a detached, it is just less than a 3 fold increase, from £170 to £500.

If the quote was for a terraced house, then it is less than 10% increase.

The instalation cost from the Which article suggests £3,945-£4,930 for a detached house?

presta

Guru
Duh!. I was looking at the wrong numbers. I was looking at the bill savings, rather than the installation costs.
My savings are only about half the figures quoted by Which, only the downstairs wall has a cavity, upstairs is solid. They don't charge any less for insulating only half the house though.

The instalation cost from the Which article suggests £3,945-£4,930 for a detached house?
Mine's a semi.

newts

Veteran
I wouldn't put too much weight behind any figures from Which. Local quotes for I stallation would probably be around 25-30% lower.

presta

Guru
I wouldn't put too much weight behind any figures from Which. Local quotes for I stallation would probably be around 25-30% lower.

They're from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors apparently, but I won't be having cavity insulation unless and until CIGA start honouring the guarantee. The cost of remedial work to remove faulty insulation is nearly 500 times the annual energy saving, and even if it's trouble-free it won't break even in my lifetime.

roley poley

Über Member
I got upset when my local pub put John smith's to £3.75..and i have home brewed better than they did for so much cheaper with out any tax ...are they having a giraffe.?...sorry ....mr home brewer having a bit of a rant..... as always you can DIY for yourselves... bikes or beer...tha can do it for the sen and save thee brass lad;)

Top Bottom