The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobtoo

Über Member
I was browsing eBay for Dawes Galaxies, as I do from time to time, and found this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152365987254 I'm not even convinced it's genuine because I thought all Galaxies had centre-pulls until they got cantilevers. The rear mech is hanging off, it looks as if it's broken in half, and you just know there will be loads of minor but expensive bits missing or broken.

It's only slightly less than I paid for my Super Galaxy of similar vintage about three years ago. Mine was needing a good service and had some non-original components, but was complete and working. It fitted my definition of "TLC required", while this eBay one fits the more usual definition.

Is that what a fixer-upper is worth now? If it is I'm glad I got mine when I did.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not a bike but a classic Dura-Ace 7800 crankset. £335 :wacko: - even new it's daft. I've an identical one on my Ridgeback Platinum with under 1000 miles - £200 anyone :okay:

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
mikeymustard
You do not get disposable income by wasting it, what is your valuation of the bike?
I have no idea but it would have to've been made from solid gold before I'd pay that sort of money, AND I'd want it with wheels!
Although I think being gold might affect the handling a bit :smile:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I was browsing eBay for Dawes Galaxies, as I do from time to time, and found this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152365987254 I'm not even convinced it's genuine because I thought all Galaxies had centre-pulls until they got cantilevers. The rear mech is hanging off, it looks as if it's broken in half, and you just know there will be loads of minor but expensive bits missing or broken.

It's only slightly less than I paid for my Super Galaxy of similar vintage about three years ago. Mine was needing a good service and had some non-original components, but was complete and working. It fitted my definition of "TLC required", while this eBay one fits the more usual definition.

Is that what a fixer-upper is worth now? If it is I'm glad I got mine when I did.
Well the frame looks solid enough so maybe £80 for that. It's got about £40 of parts on it at S/H prices, mechs, bars, seat post, stem, wheels etc. The brakes look a bit of an aftermaket bodgeup and the headset is pitted. So maybe £120 but not a bargain unless you wanted a particular early Galaxy. I actually prefer the ones with sidepull brakes. My 90s Gals have Cantis and I'm not impressed.

Top Bottom