The ice got me this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ouch !
Really considering getting the winter hack out now.luckily i know the hazard points on my commute and always take extra care on corners and potential black ice areas but riding through a frozen puddle at the bottom of a dip with 23 mm tyres was not something i like to repeat to often

Stonepark

Über Member
Changed my marathon tours over to the winters this morning and went out for a gentle 7 miles to bed them in. Once thing I will say is that they do work well, ice, slush ice, icy cambered corners and dry road all with no problems, but they do require a bit of extra effort and my speed (and therefore time) was down on normal but a lovely day to be out.

OP
OP
Pauln

Pauln

Reading this thread last night clearly jinxed me. Went out early this morning and all fine on the bigger roads, turned onto a country road and within 500m went down on ice. Of course I should have turned around at that point but it was a new route and I thought the icy bit would pass. I landed up having to walk for 2km on an icy road falling over twice more (funny how cycling shoes not really designed for ice) until I got to a bigger road again. By this time I was shaking from the cold.

Not one of the ten most fun things I have done this year.

I feel your pain.

I am still sore and bruised. Looking forward to getting out again next week though, as long as it is a little warmer, can't let a bump put me off.

Not out on the ice in road slicks are we folks? :eek:

I was out on Thursday night with the Cx bike doing a bit of off road and the roads and dirt tracks were pretty slippy. some steep climbs had me spinning at 0mph. A good set of grippy/studded tyres and wrap up nice and warm is a good start though.

Going out again tomorrow morning for some hills. 3500ft of ascent. Won't be uber fast i can assure you, especially on the descents. Prediction is 0 degrees with a wind chill of -4. :cold:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
But it's so lovely and sunny. :sad:
It was nice and sunny a month ago when I crashed on some ice and broke my collar bone in two places. I've not worked in four weeks and it looks like It'll be another month before I get anywhere near back to normal. They will then have to give me another operation to remove the plate that's holding me together at the moment.
If I were you I'd wait 'til after lunch and stick to the roads that have had sun on them. I crashed on a main road that had been gritted, but there was the shadow of a house that hadn't seen the sun and the ice hadn't melted :sad:

It was nice and sunny a month ago when I crashed on some ice and broke my collar bone in two places. I've not worked in four weeks and it looks like It'll be another month before I get anywhere near back to normal. They will then have to give me another operation to remove the plate that's holding me together at the moment.
If I were you I'd wait 'til after lunch and stick to the roads that have had sun on them. I crashed on a main road that had been gritted, but there was the shadow of a house that hadn't seen the sun and the ice hadn't melted :sad:
Yeh have broke my collarbone before, not pleasant. I should be fine if i take it slow. I am doing it for the climbing aspect TBH.
Can't really get the same benefit from the turbo trainer and i also can't stand being on the trainer for over an hour.
Get well soon though mate. :thumbsup:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Yeh have broke my collarbone before, not pleasant. I should be fine if i take it slow. I am doing it for the climbing aspect TBH.
Can't really get the same benefit from the turbo trainer and i also can't stand being on the trainer for over an hour.
Get well soon though mate. :thumbsup:
Thanks.
Be careful and try to keep to the sunny bits of road (teaching granny to suck eggs etc ^_^).
The turbo is all I can and will be able to do for a while. :sad:

Thanks.
Be careful and try to keep to the sunny bits of road (teaching granny to suck eggs etc ^_^).
The turbo is all I can and will be able to do for a while. :sad:
It's good enough Jazzkat. I still use it 2-3 times a week for an hour a time. Using Trainer road. It's really very good. Keeps you motivated. Still it is no substitute for rising on the road.

OP
OP
Pauln

Pauln

Hope you get well soon.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Will have to remember to stick on my Marathon winters when I get home on the 10th, so looking forward to getting out on my bike, been in sunny Afghan for the last 7 weeks!

Nearly there

Veteran
Was out riding this morning, thought I would go a little later than usual to let the frost go. Had done a lovely 17 miles or so with only 5 left to go and the lanes started to appear more icy. Took it really slowly then went over what I though was a wet patch but turned out it was a sheet of ice. Went down sideways really fast, fortunately I wasn't going along very fast, only a little bit of road rash and a slightly sore neck from my shoulder hitting the ground swiftly followed by my head. I always wear a helmet and this is the first time it has come into use, so glad I had it on otherwise my head would have hit the tarmac. Had to walk quite a lot after that because of the ice. It seems the rain from the last few days here has frozen over into large sheets of ice.

No lasting damage done though and only a scrape to one pedal and a little one the rear mech. I think it might be time to dig the turbo out, or stick to main roads and take my chances with the traffic.
It rained over night here so this morning even though its sunny blue sky weather the roads are lethal,I was tempted to venture out around midday when temps hit a balmy 2 degrees but the wife said don't be stupid and for once I listened :whistle: when we went out in the car there is still plenty of black ice around so i think i made the right decision

Top Bottom