The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I got my May qualifier done yesterday with a ride up to Lake Vyrnwy for the first time in 18 months. Great conditions for it - warm, dry and a fairly good tailwind on the way home. Really enjoyed that one.^_^

105.75 miles, boosted a bit by having to go around a road closure both ways. The write up is here for anyone interested: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6724734

Love it round Lake Vrynwy. It's a lot higher than Llyn Tegid so whichever way the only way is up!

robjh

Legendary Member
I did May's ride yesterday, 159 miles heading north to Doncaster, from where I caught a train home. The East Coast Main Line has proven quite a good source of cheap tickets with bike availability as long as I book in advance, and opened up a number of opportunities for one-way rides like this one.
When I planned it last week I was expecting a southerly tailwind the whole way, but by yesterday it had swung round to a stiff westerly which I felt whenever the route turned that way, but it was still more with than against me most of the way, and after few early spots of rain it turned warm in the afternoon. It was also nice to ride in a new area of the country for me, and I felt I was on new ground after Newark. My bit of tourism was a look at Conisbrough castle near Doncaster, but I was too late to go in.

Last edited:

sittingbull

Veteran
Yesterday saw me squeeze in May's qualifier ^_^ After a heavy downpour before setting off, the rest of the day was dry and bright. After crossing the Runcorn Bridge my heading was due south into Shropshire as far as Wem. I've barely ridden the bike this year and it was tough going, a few rides before my next qualifier would probably help (I said that last month too) :wacko:

I saw a few groups of motorcyclists with luggage, presumably heading for the Isle of Man ferry for TT week. The roads were fairly quiet and I had a pleasant ride in near perfect conditions :okay:

cc1.JPG

cc2.JPG

cc3.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday saw me squeeze in May's qualifier ^_^ After a heavy downpour before setting off, the rest of the day was dry and bright. After crossing the Runcorn Bridge my heading was due south into Shropshire as far as Wem. I've barely ridden the bike this year and it was tough going, a few rides before my next qualifier would probably help (I said that last month too) :wacko:

I saw a few groups of motorcyclists with luggage, presumably heading for the Isle of Man ferry for TT week. The roads were fairly quiet and I had a pleasant ride in near perfect conditions :okay:

View attachment 647146

View attachment 647147

View attachment 647149
Talk about leaving it late . Did you know there was an earthquake in Wem this week glad to see it still standing

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's June's qualifying ride done and dusted.
Out of the door at 6.20am to hit the Kent lanes. Temperature was showing 10degs so a little nippy to start but no need for sleeves or jacket. It didn't take long to warm up. Once in the lanes I kept on coming across fog pockets in the hollows. A pain in the arse as I had to keep stopping to wipe my glasses. A couple of hours in and the fog burned away leaving the sunshine to peek from behind the clouds which by miday had also burnt away leaving a very nice sunny second half of the ride.

So, scores on the doors.
121 miles for the day
Imperial Century month 139 in a row
6 months of 2022, 6 to go.

Untitled.jpg

Smarden house built c1410
20220602_155935.jpg

Smarden Church
20220602_155950.jpg

DUCK!!!!!
20220602_160008.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
Did June's ride today, up in Shetland where I'm currently on holiday. I started and finished in Skeld on the Westside, where we're staying on the campsite, and headed first round the peninsula to Sandness before retracing my steps a little and taking the very climby road to Aith and Voe. From here I joined some larger roads to circle the top of the mainland and ride down almost to Lerwick before a final leg past Whiteness with several steep climbs to finish.
Shetland is endlessly scenic yet peppered with steep climbs, many on narrow and twisting single track roads, and has almost constant strong winds, and whatever the precise reason this ride really took it out of me. It took me nearly 11 hours and I was so pleased when I finally flopped into the motorhome at the end and found a warm coffee waiting for me.
Don't let that put you off riding in Shetland - the scenery is wonderful, and despite today's fatigue I'm loving it

Lunch near Brae
IMG_20220605_121037.jpg

Trickedem

Guru
I had a very nice ride around Kent today. Up early to catch a train to Ashford, so I could do a route check for the San Fairy Ann Flattest Five Audax rides. Unfortunately, I had the gpx for the 100 mile ride, and the route sheet for the 100km ride! So, without using my garmin I did an old school ride following the route sheet. I also managed to add some extra miles, by getting a veloviewer tile I had missed previously, then carried on from the end of the 100km route back to Maidstone to finish. Weather was warm and not too windy which was great.

This completed my 12th year of doing a century ride every month. https://www.strava.com/activities/7302836132
The view below is of the Nuclear Power Station at Dungeness.
1655154618455.png

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I had a very nice ride around Kent today. Up early to catch a train to Ashford, so I could do a route check for the San Fairy Ann Flattest Five Audax rides. Unfortunately, I had the gpx for the 100 mile ride, and the route sheet for the 100km ride! So, without using my garmin I did an old school ride following the route sheet. I also managed to add some extra miles, by getting a veloviewer tile I had missed previously, then carried on from the end of the 100km route back to Maidstone to finish. Weather was warm and not too windy which was great.

This completed my 12th year of doing a century ride every month. https://www.strava.com/activities/7302836132
The view below is of the Nuclear Power Station at Dungeness.
View attachment 648906

When I (motor)biked to Dungeness last year, I preferred this bit of architecture, and its garden…
EBwAnnJGLcavT3lRBjjEjF_gtw=w774-h579-no?authuser=0.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My June qualifier was done yesterday in some lovely sunshine and very little wind. Because the conditions were so good I couldn't resist going out to Lake Vyrnwy again using mostly the same route as last month with just a few variations.^_^

107.2 miles and the ride write up is here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6750764

Top Bottom