The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I did July's ride yesterday, from home near Cambridge down to Dover via the Tilbury-Gravesend ferry, which made a total of 131 miles.
The stretch north of the Thames is fairly flat, and was getting a bit busy with morning commuter traffic around Brentwood when I passed through. I had an earlyish lunch in Rochester at 11.30, and I then stayed on small lanes through the North Downs all the way down to the coast above Folkestone, including a stretch of the Pilgrims' Way. It was very scenic, down and up hills and through woods with the occasional grand view, but there are faster ways than this and I could have saved a good deal of time by taking them. In the end I started thinking 'oh not another narrow twisting 12% climb with gravel in the centre and potholes down the sides', but still they came. Nonetheless I gave myself plenty of time and it was a great day, warm and with a tailwind.
There is a lot to see in Dover. I had a quick ride round to see some of the views, but I need to come back sometime and see them, especially the castle, properly.

I finished up with two trains home via London. There are plenty of cheap advance tickets from the Kent coast into London if you can book a day or two ahead.

20220705 Dover ride (48) Dover.jpg

Trickedem

Guru
I did July's ride yesterday, from home near Cambridge down to Dover via the Tilbury-Gravesend ferry, which made a total of 131 miles.
The stretch north of the Thames is fairly flat, and was getting a bit busy with morning commuter traffic around Brentwood when I passed through. I had an earlyish lunch in Rochester at 11.30, and I then stayed on small lanes through the North Downs all the way down to the coast above Folkestone, including a stretch of the Pilgrims' Way. It was very scenic, down and up hills and through woods with the occasional grand view, but there are faster ways than this and I could have saved a good deal of time by taking them. In the end I started thinking 'oh not another narrow twisting 12% climb with gravel in the centre and potholes down the sides', but still they came. Nonetheless I gave myself plenty of time and it was a great day, warm and with a tailwind.
There is a lot to see in Dover. I had a quick ride round to see some of the views, but I need to come back sometime and see them, especially the castle, properly.

I finished up with two trains home via London. There are plenty of cheap advance tickets from the Kent coast into London if you can book a day or two ahead.

View attachment 651733

It does get very hilly near Dover. Nice ride

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
July's qualifying ride done and dusted
A glorious cycle ride with @rb58 and @Trickedem down to Brighton and back. Almost perfect, apart from the sheer amount of motor traffic and shitty drivers.
So, scores on the doors
122 miles for the day, With a bonus of 7 extra Eddington numbers in the bag. (3 more 115+ to get to that number)
Imperial Century ride month 140 in a row

Untitled.jpg

20220723_120729.jpg

20220723_120613.jpg

20220723_103245.jpg

Gatwick runway approach
20220723_141440.jpg

Trickedem

Guru
July's qualifying ride done and dusted
A glorious cycle ride with @rb58 and @Trickedem down to Brighton and back. Almost perfect, apart from the sheer amount of motor traffic and shitty drivers.
So, scores on the doors
122 miles for the day, With a bonus of 7 extra Eddington numbers in the bag. (3 more 115+ to get to that number)
Imperial Century ride month 140 in a row

View attachment 654019

View attachment 654017

View attachment 654016

View attachment 654015

Gatwick runway approach
View attachment 654018

What a cracking ride that was. Didn't really notice the headwind on the way down, but benefitted from a nice tail wind on the return.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Glad you took my advice @Rickshaw Phil and literally took all the time possible :whistle: . Well done

^_^ Thanks.

It would have been good to get it done sooner but it felt like July just wasn't my month - Covid you already know about, then I was starting to build the strength for riding back up when this happened:
20220719_063149.jpg
Stung on the nose by a bee, which was suboptimal. That took a couple of days to go down then I had a mix of commitments and uninviting weather so the end of the month came round pretty quick.

I was just glad to get round with this one and hope that August will be kinder.

gavgav

Guru
^_^ Thanks.

It would have been good to get it done sooner but it felt like July just wasn't my month - Covid you already know about, then I was starting to build the strength for riding back up when this happened:
View attachment 655438
Stung on the nose by a bee, which was suboptimal. That took a couple of days to go down then I had a mix of commitments and uninviting weather so the end of the month came round pretty quick.

I was just glad to get round with this one and hope that August will be kinder.

Crikey, you look like you’ve gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson!

Top Bottom