The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Got my September ride in yesterday. I decided to do some gravel riding for a change, so went on some National Cycle Network paths! Went down to Whitstable mainly on the road, although did follow the NCN1 from Faversham which is nice and goes along the riverside, but it is a bit knarly and certainly wouldn't be much fun on a road bike. Popped into the Waterfront at Whitstable to say hello, as this is the regular end stop for FNRTTC rides to Whitstable. They were very grateful for the cakes that I normally send down with one of the riders. (note to @StuAff don't eat all the cakes next year) I then rode along the seafront to Herne Bay then through the woods to pick up the Crab and Winkle way into Canterbury. This is a great trail, but again not really suitable for a road bike. Next stop was Wye after following NCN 18, which is very nice and forms part of the new Cantii Way that Cycling UK have organised. I had planned to ride back on the off road section of the Pilgrims Way, but it was getting on a bit, so I stuck to the road until I got to Harrietsham where it is tarmacced. Stopped for a pint of shandy at the Dirty Habit, then followed the Way back to Bluebell Hill and then bridleways to Wouldham. All in all a nice day out.
1663321111907.png

1663321169910.png

robjh

Legendary Member
Got September's ride done on Sunday, as the middle day of a ride from Edinburgh to Leeds over the long weekend. I was bivvying overnight so had a bit of gear with me on the tourer, and not for the first time I rather underestimated the effects of riding a considerably heavier bike than usual - I had expected to do an easy 120 or more miles in this time but in the end just scraped in at 100 and suffered for that, but more on that below.
I started the day from my overnight camp near Moffat, took backroads to Longtown and the English border, then to Brampton and the first big climb up to Alston, which was full of motorcyclists who were out in force on these fine open Pennine roads. I reached the highest point on Yad Moss, on the road into Teesdale, a route familiar to anyone has done or followed the LEL. The climb up was great and the long descent exhilarating with barely a pedal stroke for miles, but it was now late afternoon and getting colder, and by Middleton I was feeling the chill. By Barnard Castle my stomach was churning and I felt quite ill and piled on all my remaining layers. At 93 miles though I couldn't abandon the challenge, and forced myself on slowly in the fading light until I spotted an ideal bivvy spot at 99.8 miles, so rode up the next hill and back to make the century.
I lay thankfully on the grass, was promptly sick, after which I felt so much better but was happy just to climb into my sleeping bag and call it a day. Had a great sleep, then set off for Monday's ride...
strava

the climb to Yad Moss from Alston
20220918 Ed-Leeds ride (5) Yad Moss road.jpg

my 'camp site', the following morning
20220919 Ed-Leeds ride (1) Barningham bivi.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
Well done @robjh, epic.
What was the reason you think you were sick?

Mix of overexertion and getting chilled, no doubt something to do with nutrition throughout the day but I can't say what. I have occasionally had it, or at least the nausea, before after long and especially fast rides, and the last few hills seemed to have the same effect on me that day as I veered between sweat on the ups and freezing on the downs.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mix of overexertion and getting chilled, no doubt something to do with nutrition throughout the day but I can't say what. I have occasionally had it, or at least the nausea, before after long and especially fast rides, and the last few hills seemed to have the same effect on me that day as I veered between sweat on the ups and freezing on the downs.

okey doke. I was just hoping it wasn't anything serious

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was actually a great day, despite a little temporary discomfort towards the end

Type 2 fun :laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got September's ride done on Sunday, as the middle day of a ride from Edinburgh to Leeds over the long weekend. I was bivvying overnight so had a bit of gear with me on the tourer, and not for the first time I rather underestimated the effects of riding a considerably heavier bike than usual - I had expected to do an easy 120 or more miles in this time but in the end just scraped in at 100 and suffered for that, but more on that below.
I started the day from my overnight camp near Moffat, took backroads to Longtown and the English border, then to Brampton and the first big climb up to Alston, which was full of motorcyclists who were out in force on these fine open Pennine roads. I reached the highest point on Yad Moss, on the road into Teesdale, a route familiar to anyone has done or followed the LEL. The climb up was great and the long descent exhilarating with barely a pedal stroke for miles, but it was now late afternoon and getting colder, and by Middleton I was feeling the chill. By Barnard Castle my stomach was churning and I felt quite ill and piled on all my remaining layers. At 93 miles though I couldn't abandon the challenge, and forced myself on slowly in the fading light until I spotted an ideal bivvy spot at 99.8 miles, so rode up the next hill and back to make the century.
I lay thankfully on the grass, was promptly sick, after which I felt so much better but was happy just to climb into my sleeping bag and call it a day. Had a great sleep, then set off for Monday's ride...
strava

View attachment 661831

View attachment 661832

Well done getting the distance done despite feeling off colour.

13 rider

Guru
The way things have fell this month work holidays and the way the weekends have fallen I had just one chance to complete a ride and hat was today . Thankfully no issues and 102 miles in the bag . Another velo viewer square grabbing ride from Leicester to Solihul ,which was far more pleasant than I expected to be . A good day on the bike still felt strong past the 90 mile mark got my average up to 15.2mph

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
strava

View attachment 661831

View attachment 661832

Coincidentally I overlapped your ride a little for mine this month, but I had no luggage. Was on holiday in Galloway and booked an audax from Brampton at the end of the week on Sat 17th. A benign but flipping freezing to start (literally, frost on the grass by the van high above Brampton), garmin was 2 deg at 7am. Was late to the start as had forgotten to transfer garmin holder over from the mtb that was still packed in the van. Therefore solo again! Run out through Newtown, Longtown to Annan then south through Gretna skirting the dreaded Carlisle (such horrible roads back in June when I got in a right knot navigating, finally got something to eat, had started the day in Bamburgh and was then sick between Dalston and Mungrisedale after 5th day of APN, was carrying lightweight camping kit) A gorgeous ride out to the Solway Firth to Bowness on Solway. did stop for a proper lunch after the stiff headwind then cracked on with a tailwind eastwards via Dalston, Culgath and up Hartside to Alston. Actually had some company from Culgaith from a participant on the 150km route, very experienced audaxer with many tales from LELs and PBPs but had been out from illness for a few years. It was lovely not to be solo. The last bit from Alston to Milton (just short of Brampton) seemed to go on forever. Once the frost burnt off it was a gorgeous day, gorgeous as not too hot and no rain as well. Stunning views up Hartside, I'd only done the side road route up from Langwathby before.

robjh

Legendary Member
I got October's ride in early, on Saturday the 1st.
I did the Richard Ellis Memorial Audax, 200k version, which starts and ends at Great Dunmow, and actually passes my front door. Thankfully the band of rain had passed over during the night, and I had a wonderful clear dawn sky and sunrise as I rode the 20 miles down to Dunmow for the start, and the weather stayed gloriously sunny for the whole day. There was a strong westerly wind though, which powered us along for the main part of the ride but made its presence felt with a vengeance as we turned back for the last 30 miles on tired legs. I finished with another 20 miles home after that, on quiet roads and a big starry sky.
There were some 30+ people on the audax - it would probably have been more without the train strike - but as with other audaxes I experienced it as a long solo ride with company at the stops, and I am quite happy that way! With the rides to and from the start it made it one of the year's longer rides at 174 miles / 280k.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A very breezy ride of 121 miles today see's me get my October qualifying ride done and dusted.
It was windy when I left home at 7.30am this morning, with balmy temperatures of 16 degrees. The weather radar was predicting a bout of heavy rain from mid day onwards. But I seemed to got the luck. Rain did arrive in the form of light drizzle at 2.30pm for an hour, followed by a heavy five minute downpour of which a nice big tree helped shelter me. Once the band of rain had passed it was dry for the rest of the ride, though still very windy, making the ride hard work at times.
So, that's Imperial Century Month 143 in a row and a new Eddington number of 116.
2 more months for the year to go.

Screenshot 2022-10-05 6.58.52 PM.png

Well, what can you say?
20221005_133353.jpg

I've climbed this hill many times, I think this was the first descent of it.
20221005_132726.jpg

Faversham Stone Chapel dating from Roman, Anglo Saxon and Medieval before being abandoned in 1600.
20221005_123307.jpg

20221005_123246.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
October is done. I did one of my favourite rides again, out to Lake Vyrnwy and back covering 105.69 miles this time. It was a great day for it with hardly a breath of wind during the morning and a bit of sunshine. I wasn't particularly quick but after a tweak to the sadde I was more comfortable and the legs didn't cramp up. Fingers crossed that it'll be good on future rides too.^_^

I might be tempted to go to Vyrnwy again next month as the autumn colours should be properly on show by then.

The ride report is here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6831533

A few snaps from the day:
20221011_073520.jpg

20221011_095709_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20221011_110021.jpg

20221011_123505_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom