Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Today marked the first proper shopping trip on the Fuji and probably my longest utility ride 😊

I'd convinced myself that I needed salad for tomorrow's packed lunch and that in the local Co-Op has usually tuned to soup before the best-before date, so off to the "local" Sainsbury's I went.

While an undoubtedly mundane task for the more seasoned utility riders amongst us, this was largely uncharted territory for me.

The ride out was fantastic - warm sun and the significant wind at my back. Upon arrival I remembered I'd forgotten the cable for the lock so had to make do with the D-lock alone; which I'd stuck in one of the pannier bags.

It was novel to not have to remove my rucksack to get out the lock, being on-balance less hassle to get it out of the pannier bag (one clip, shoulder strap out of its retainer and unfurl the bag). However it would have been quicker still had the lock been mounted on the bike - the most appropriate way it seems being to lash it flat to the top of the rack.. so I'd say that's something to look at "moving forward" (were I a middle-management-jargon-dickhead).

Into the shop and I followed one of my mother's unusually practical suggestions of slinging the bags in a trolley to avoid having to carry everything. This worked nicely, however having just got off the bike the trolley handled like a hippo on rollerskates with chronic understeer. Being a single, frequent shopper I've not used a trolley for a while and can't say it was a great experience; although probably still better than having to carry everything.

I was relieved to make it to the opposite end of the shop where I could see my bike still lashed to the bike rack through the window, but the queue for the staffed till in this area was huge so I bid it farewell and hurried back towards the self-checkout area. Once scanned and paid for everything was loaded into the bags whilst still in the trolley, then it was out to the bike, bags and computer back on, lock off and away I went.

While the bike is no super-expensive, high-end offering the trip was still laced with anxiety that it'd get nicked.. personally I think Sainsbury's should install CCTV at the bike racks and live-stream it to monitors around the store - surely something that all customers would welcome...? :tongue:

All-up I'd got an additional 8-ish kg on the back (2kg of bags, 6kg of essential sustainance including vodka and ice cream) but other than feeling a bit more damped over bumps the bike felt much the same to ride.

As expected more toil was had on the way back; riding loaded against the wind and with an absence of sun for a lot of it.. but it was fine.

I did stop en-route to check out a free Raleigh MTB in one of the estates - it was a late one and I thought it could have been something interesting like an M-Trax, however on closer inspection it turned out to be a somewhat tatty example of a fairly basic-spec bike - Altus components and a silly, you-want-it-because-you're-thirteen name like "Exasperator" or similar. If anyone in North Oxfordshire is bothered drop me a PM and I'll tell you where it is ;)

All in all a great ride - everyone I met was sound (perhaps manifesting a subconscious gratitude that the weather's still tolerable / actually bloody fantastic) while I feel smug on so many levels - at just getting out, using the bike for a practical task / that which I used as the excuse to buy it in the first place and not using the car; saving a little wear, a little pollution and about three quid in fuel (which paid for the ice cream 😄 ).

18.5 very practical and pleasant miles at 13mph and 139bpm for around 950kcal burnt :smile:
When I go to Sainsbury‘s on the bike I put the panniers in the trolley as you did. But, during lockdown I started using their self scan app. When you get the hang it’s not too bad (and I normally hate the self service tills which put people out of jobs and cause lots of swearing). The main advantage is that you don’t have to guess at how much you can get in the panniers. You might need to keep the vodka near the top though!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When I go to Sainsbury‘s on the bike I put the panniers in the trolley as you did. But, during lockdown I started using their self scan app. When you get the hang it’s not too bad (and I normally hate the self service tills which put people out of jobs and cause lots of swearing). The main advantage is that you don’t have to guess at how much you can get in the panniers. You might need to keep the vodka near the top though!

the joke being i didnt think i could ride safely with alcohol in the bag so i drank it , i was right as i fell off 4 times :smile:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

Thanks - didn't think of that; although I suspect that would require a certain amount of pragmatism on my part!

I'll look into it though :smile:

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday afternoon and an easterly ride on the Defy was required to continue the second word ABC placename hunt after the N of Temple Newsam last April. The light to moderate westerly resulted in a stack of PRs outbound and a stack of Lanterne rouges on the return.

Normal initial easterly route for the road bike joining the A59 for the decent to Knaresborough at Forest Lane Head.
ForestLnHd.jpg

Had a very quick falling out with the Garmin which was insisting I was off route. Clearly the route had not updated since an earlier version. Once through the TTLs that caught me last week in the opposite direction, north to Farnham and then east / north east via Ferrensby, Arkendale, and a short length of a very quiet A168 to reach the B6265 south east to the second word ABC of Little Ouseburn.
LO sign.jpg

(The Defy showing off its Easter present whilst otherwise abandoned in the bike shed of a new set of bar tape)

Passed through the village for a snack break by the remote Holy Trinity Church before continuing in an easterly orientation over Aldwark Bridge once a Transit and a car had squeezed pass each other on the approach; the Transit then crawling over the speed bumps and I followed at a near standstill.

Through Linton and Newton on Ouses following the routes of NCNs 688 and 65 I opted to follow the single track road around the outside of the grounds of Beningborough Hall rather the signed route through on the basis it would be quieter; encountered a car and a full width of the road tractor propelled scoop – thankfully both at points there was pull in or access point on the lane.

Continued along the route of NCN65 over the East Coast mainline twice and once under it to reach the edge of Skelton where the NCN takes a path twisting and turning close to the River Ouse with the need for a cautious ride. Left the NCN to head towards the A19, pausing for a snack. No sooner on the southbound A19 than off it onto a cycle route heading through a subway under the A1237.

Followed the cycle route alongside the A1237 on the bridge over the River Ouse and East Coast mainline before heading under that A road in search of an appropriate sign for either Nether Poppleton or Upper Poppleton. I knew one road had a signboard on it but plainly not that I was on. Abandoned Nether for Upper although quite where one became the other was unclear– all seemed to a divorced chunk of York suburbia and the clue that I was probably heading in the right direction came from the head wind. I stumbled across the War Memorial in Upper; no obvious sign but as I turned round I found the appropriately named Co-Op for Upper Poppleton.
UP war memorial.jpg

UP Co-op.jpg

Headed south across, for a change, a quite smooth level crossing and the A59, pass a York park and ride site, to pick up a cycle route that also took to a subway under the A1237 to reach Knapton. B1224 to Long Marston and across Marston Moor battling the westerly for a snack stop at Tockwith, although so slow had been sections of cycle routes my average speed briefly increased. Onwards through Cowthorpe, the climb over the A1(M) and the more sheltered climb over the old A1, now A168, to reach the B6164 north west to Knaresborough; the high hedges alongside as far as Little Ribston providing a useful windbreak. The Nidd Gorge in Knaresborough and the climb away on the A59 once again largely sheltered from the wind.

54.37 miles 1787ft climbed avg 13.2mph
081022 ROUTE.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
When I go to Sainsbury‘s on the bike I put the panniers in the trolley as you did. But, during lockdown I started using their self scan app.
I've been doing that, although with the in store self scanners rather than the app, on the basis I cannot the buy more than can be carried, not that has been an issue with my local Sainsburys given the extent of empty shelves (admittably the others are not much better) plus the Nectar app gives discounted prices if you self scan, typically actually on items you buy - Fridays visit which cost me £17.06 would otherwise have been £20.77. That was a post work ride there, on Tuesday I went before work and of course being in hurry got picked for a basket check - they rescan 6 items to check.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
It was a lovely day today and I had a strong urge to take the mountain bike up onto the Heide. I started off through the lanes and up past the glider school. Heading into the forest the Autumn colours have really started to come through and the sun shining down through the canopy is making everything look stunning.

P1010488.JPG

Surprisingly given the heavy rain in September, the trails are dry as a bone again. The route winds its way for a while through pine plantations before emerging onto gravel trails leading through to Wildech and the deep sanding section. The Silver Birch lining the trail here our a wonderful golden colour, off-set by their beautiful silver bark.

P1010493.JPG

The ride undulates for a while and I emerge from the forest at Angelsbeckteich, the shores are swarming with folk enjoying the Autumn sunshine and I move on to the climb up onto the Teifental. Here it's a little quieter and I'm soon out onto the open moorland, sadly the heather is no longer in full bloom and the colour is muted.

P1010499.JPG

I point the bike down into a small dell and enjoy the short downhill as the suspension and fat tires smooth out the rough trail. At the bottom a stiff climbout awaits and is a real test for me and the bike. The large 50 tooth rear cog is deployed as I lean forward to help keep the front wheel planted on the ground. Soon we've made it up and a few short kilometres later and I'm back at the top of a short descent back into the dell. It doesn't look much, but there is a short drop of as well as roots and rocks all providing an enjoyable challenge.

P1010500.JPG

The next kilometres are rough single track through the forest, navigation proves a challenge as I'm going by memory and it's a little while since I passed this way. Soon I find my way blocked by fallen trees and realise I'd strayed off-route. A quick check of the map and I'm back on track and heading South.

P1010501.JPG

The trail is rough for a while before giving way to gravel as a clearing appears bordered by the heathland.

P1010504.JPG

Before long I hit Reberllah and take a more off-road trail back towards home. I'm having a great time blasting along under the canopy and of course I can't resist as a large puddle hoves into view. I'm just glad that I was on this bike, it was a lot deeper than it looked and luckily the bike just ploughed through. It's not long now and gravel roads are back as we get close to home.

P1010505.JPG

I get in as the sun is getting low in the sky, with just a shade over 52km covered on a gorgeous autumnal day, after the grim weather of September I really needed that and hope we have more of them.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I managed a good couple of rides over the weekend.

Saturday: I got the Galaxy out again and wanted to experiment with a saddle adjustment. It was a really nice day with sunshine, not too much wind from the south west and reasonably warm by the time I set off in the afternoon. I thought I'd head round one of my longer regular routes to make the most of it.

Setting off to Condover I got along nicely for the first three miles then very nicely on picking up a tailwind along Lyons Lane, which helped me to Berrington and Cross Houses. Reaching Atcham I thought I'd head through Attingham Park which was quite busy and they were having to utilise their overflow car park. Next I headed for Upton Magna and Withington at what for me is a decent pace.

At Walcot the road climbs, and I also turned back towards the wind, so it was a little slower but I was still enjoying myself. This bit of climbing peaks at Rushton then there is a nice descent through Eaton Constantine and down to Cressage, where the next bit of climbing up Shore Lane starts on the road to Cound Moor. After Acton Burnell I thought I'd have a bit of a plod to Frodesley as that is still into the wind, but this time it seemed easy going and the speed crept up until it seemed more like riding with a tailwind.^_^

After Longnor I knew I'd have a crosswind at best, but the gradient is gently downhill for a lot of the way back through Ryton to Condover so I could enjoy it.

35.1 miles at 15.5 mph average. It's a decent average speed for me but doesn't give a true picture of how good the bike felt and how much I enjoyed pushing on this time. A great ride and nice to see plenty of other riders out enjoying the mild weather too.

20221008_135729_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the old bridge at Atcham.

20221008_135737_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The view from the bridge - after a good lot of rain recently the river level has risen quite a bit.

20221008_140238.jpg

In Attingham Park.

20221008_144011.jpg

The Wrekin from Upper Longwood.

20221008_153524.jpg

Ryton.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sunday: After enjoying the fast ride the day before I settled fro something a little more sedate. I got the Hawk out and thought I'd head over the hill and potter round the lanes a bit.

It was cooler, more windy and rather overcast this time. The wind was from the south this time so I had it against me climbing over Lyth Hill but a crosswind on the way to Pontesbury and Minsterley. I was a little unimpressed with a guy who overtook me even though there was a car coming the other way near Annscroft.

I thought there might be quite a few cyclists out with it being another dry day, however I'd only seen a handful by the time I turned off to Habberley. I haven't ridden this particular road for a few years and I remembered it being surprisingly steep. My memory wasn't wrong on that but what I had forgotten was that from this side the climb also goes on longer than you might expect. The descent into Habberley was nice though. The Mytton Arms seemed to be doing a good trade.

After Habberley there is more climbing but I've ridden that way enough times to know what to expect and it didn't seem bad this time. At Pulverbatch I thought I'd take the road to Church Pulverbatch then down to Stapleton. It's nice to be descending this lane for a change and I enjoyed it. Gonsal was up next, then Ryton where the tailwind was right behind me but the legs were tired so I got along well but not as fast as on some occasions.

22.6 miles at 11.4 mph average. Another enjoyable outing.

20221009_143614.jpg

Cooler and more overcast as I cross Lyth Hill.

20221009_151634.jpg

Part way up the climb to Habberley; looking back towards Minsterley.

20221009_152823_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Over the top and one of the views from the descent.

20221009_153155_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Some good autumn colour in Habberley.

20221009_154312_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At the top of the next climb and looking out over Lawn Farm.

Upped milleage to 20, was going to try for 25 but at the end my legs were glad I didn't!

Took the MTB into Leeds to do a favourite of mine where I ride out from Leeds to Allerton Bywater and explore the lovely St Aidans wetland reserve there. Was out in the morning early but it really does feel like you abroad when the sun is out. Its an old open cast mine that was flooded and repurposed.

The reserve, dragline 'Oddball' in the distance

View attachment 657166

Up close, there is a bike close into for scale!
View attachment 657167

But the main reason I visited is before this old open cast mine was flooded on purpose, it was flooded accidently when the River Aire breached into the mine and flooded it! Some people believe it was the canal that breached but as the bottom picture shows it was the river.

The whole thing was eventually fixed by diverting the river into the canal (creating a navigation) and routing it further south. This picture shows the lock you can see on the bottom picture, long since abandoned its hard to fathom when you are there that not only did the canal run there but the river was further to the left of the picture. Both are now to the right.

My bike in the old lock
View attachment 657168

Picture showing the breach and the lock I am stood in above
View attachment 657169

The coal board actually paid for for all repairs and the new naviagation, so long as they could mine out the newly exposed coal:whistle:😄
I remember that very well, the Aire flowed ‘backwards’ to fill the hole, & it’s a big hole, it took over 3 days to fill it!!
They had an open day once, I can’t remember if it was before the breach, or after draining if, but we (the visitors) we taken down into the bottom of the open-cast on Land-Rovers
It's about 200 feet deep if memory serves correctly
Road-Trip. 11.JPG

After the draining/‘re-coursing’ of the river, as it was navigable then, remains of late 1700s boats were found!
Plus, a 1690s lock, built when the Act Of Parliament allowed the creation of the Canal, with a wooden base to it

Oddball, as the BE1150 is known is massive!
I've been in it, on open-days

http://www.walkingdragline.org/

Road-Trip. 23.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday 11th'

My commute home, or a section of it, at least
Circa 13:25

Dismantled railway
Heading along the upstream side of the River Calder
Between ‘Stanley Ferry’ & NewLands Woods
Stanley

(there is still an old boundary stone, for the NewLands Estate, but l hadn’t reached it)

Road-Trip. 15.jpg

I'm approximately where the 'm' of Dismantled Railway' is on the OS map
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2451643

OK, first ride for some time, and on the newly revised Scott roadie. Now has 3x9 with all new Sora mechs, and a slightly revised chainset. 12-36t rear, 50-39-28 front.
First things first. The bike behaved impeccably considering this was a test run. There were one or two sketchy shifts as things settled in, and I did have to stop and recentralise the rear brake at one point. Otherwise? Flawless. It's been a while since I said anything so complementary about this bike, so well pleased.
Despite being a good few kilos lighter, the legs don't have the miles in them just now. The figures show that clearly. But happy to have done what is for me a medium-length ride
Outward just north of Gem Bridge, I stopped as usual for a drink, and was colonised by a large bumblebee. Thought he'd gone, so set off. Realised he was still on board at the other end of the bridge, so had a good shake and rummage, and that seemed to do the trick. I'd got right round the loop at Clearbrook and as I rejoined the road near the pub, I realised he was still with me! So he's travelled 7-ish miles at a rather quicker pace that he's used to...
:biggrin:
Screenshot (1).png

gavgav

Guru
I’d had to cancel a ride with a mate, last night, due to mild side effects from my Covid Booster on Sunday, but felt quite a bit better today, just a bit tired and sore arm still, so I felt like getting out for a short gentle ride this evening. It was a nice sunny end to the day and quite mild.

I chose a ride around Shrewsbury, so that I could easily cut it short if I didn’t feel great. I set out along the full length of the old Railway path for a change, rather than half of it, to Reabrook.

I then followed cycle paths up towards Monkmoor and Heathgates, before heading down through Castlefields, where there were lots of people out enjoying the weather down by the River, walking, cycling, fishing and watching for leaping Salmon at the weir.

The towpath along the River was quieter than I thought it might be, before I passed through the Quarry and then walked the bike over Porthill bridge.

I climbed up through Porthill and then followed the cycle path to Shelton, passing the Hospital, on through Bowbrook to Radbrook and Nobold.

Meole village was next and I arrived home with 13.4 miles on the clock at 12.1mph avg. That was enough for today, but I didn’t feel too bad whilst riding and was glad I made myself go out

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I'd been eyeing up a few possible days for my October challenge ride and Tuesday seemed the best. I set the usual early alarm and was out on the Raleigh shortly after seven with the aim of riding to Lake Vyrnwy.

This was my first pre-dawn start of the season so the lights were needed and at the last minute I put my winter gloves in my pannier which I became glad of a bit later. I thought the traffic seemed quite busy for the time of the morning, although it wasnt as bad once past Shelton on my way to Montford Bridge. The countryside looked nice with the light of the rising sun and patches of mist hanging around.

After Great Ness there is a small hill to get over before dropping down to Willcott and Pentre where the air became much colder and by the time I got to the turn for The Royal Hill my hands felt frozen, so a pause was needed to change gloves. Like the last time I rode to Vyrnwy I took the road to Crosslanes then before reaching Maesbrook turned off on the lane past Llwyntidmon Hall.

Heading for Redwith and Waen Wen I came over a bridge to find a collie wandering in the road. He seemed startled by my presence until I stopped and made the "play" sign (dog owners will understand this one I'm sure) then he came over, put paws up on the top tube and leaned against me as though we were best friends.:laugh:

Moving on, I had expected a road closure and a diversion a little further up the road but it wasn't there - suits me just fine. At Llynclys I stopped in my usual place at the entrance to the heritage railway to have my first snack stop. I did change back to the fingerless gloves but that proved to be a bit premature and I only got a mile before the hands were too cold again.

The road up the Tanat Valley was quite pleasant riding, after the bulk of the traffic had turned off towards Llansantffraid that is, but I was finding the legs felt fatigued already and I hadn't even got to the hilly bit yet. Taking the pace a bit easier helped and I was glad that there was no wind.

The 10 mile journey up the valley was pretty uneventful then after Pedair Ffordd the climbing starts - I took it easy and made sure of dropping down the gears in good time and it turned out to be fine. The legs did take a little while to get going again after a stop at Penybontfawr but again felt better than expected when the gradient ramped up steeply again up to climb out of Cwm Hirnant and over to Llanwddyn.

Reaching the dam I had my elevenses stop and took in the view of the, currently very low, reservoir. I understand that the water level has recovered a bit with the heavy rain in the last week or so (the ruins of the old village are no longer visible) but it is still about 15 or 20 feet below what it should be. As usual I headed off for an anti-clockwise loop of the lake first which was slow to start but got better as I went along. Cruising at 14 to 16 mph was comfortable - I have been quicker in the past but didn't have the legs for it this time. There were a handful of people out walking or cycling which was nice to see - I didn't come expecting to see crowds on a weekday in October but it was nice to not be the only one enjoying the place.

At the end of the first lap I stopped for a coffee at Artisans. It took a little while to be served then I enjoyed the drink sat outside. At an adjacent table there were a couple of carers and their ward; from the conversation I overheard they were from Telford and were only supposed to have gone for an outing with a coffee stop, but ended up making a day of it (in the car it's approx an hour and a half each way from Telford). If you're going to be out longer than you should be, then do it in style I suppose.:laugh:

Back on the road I started my clockwise lap of the lake. Again I was a bit slow to get going and had a few stops for photos. I kept on catching up with the trio from the cafe as they drove slowly round the lake stopping to look at the scenery too. I had intended to complete this lap before stopping to eat again but I started to feel low on energy and by about halfway round needed to stop in a gateway with a view and have my lunch. When I started again I was feeling the cold and I wasn't sure if it was due to the energy levels not having recovered yet or if cold air had rolled in with the cloud. Either way another layer was needed and I was glad I'd thought to put an extra one in the bag.

Not needing to stop again at the dam I headed straight back to Llanwddyn, enjoying the twisty descent then warming up again on the following climb. I dispensed with the extra fleece before the next steep climb and by taking it gently found that it felt easier than expected. I took my usual alternative back to Penybontfawr (a little more climbing then a long descent). I took it easy up the climb out of Penybontfawr and the legs didn't show any sign of cramping up (if they are going to on this route, this is very often the hill where it will happen) and got my top speed of the trip down the other side to Pedair Ffordd (36.2 mph). There was a little bit of a tailwind by now and with the general downhill trend I got back down the Tanat Valley somewhat quicker than I'd ridden up it, even if I wasn't pushing very hard on the hills.

After a couple of small saddle adjustments recently I felt much more comfortable on this trip than many of the other big rides this year. Even so I found myself fidgety for a few miles from about the 78 mile mark before the saddle started to feel okay again.

I was ready for a bit more food by the time I got back to Llynclys then I stuck with the main road a bit longer to take an alternative way back through The Wood, Llwyn-Y-Go, Argoed and Kinnerley to get back to Pentre. The legs were feeling better than expected for the distance but I still didn't fancy the climb at Wilcott so headed through Shrawardine and Montford instead. The jelly babies were opened at about the 92 mile mark and gave the usual very welcome energy boost, which was needed as I can't avoid the climb between Montford Bridge and Bicton. Again, this hill didn't feel as bad as expected, especially given the mileage already covered, and when another rider overtook I was almost tempted to try and keep up. Possibly if the bike wasn't loaded up I might have been able to.

After a rather unnecessary close pass on this road I thought I'd take the longer but flatter way home so turned off to head past Gains Park, the new estate at Bowbrook, along Mousecroft Lane (enjoying it as a lane before the developers move in) and into Meole Brace where a rapid stop was needed when an elderly lady walked into the road in front of me. She apologised, I said "no problem" and it was nice to part amicably.

105.69 miles at 13.4 mph (moving) average. Almost exactly ten hours overall which I know isn't quick but does include a lot of sightseeing and the cafe stop so I'm happy.

20221011_073520.jpg

At Montford Bridge shortly before sunrise.

20221011_075803.jpg

The view to the Briedden and a misty Severn Valley from near Wilcott.

20221011_094254_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Maize harvesting under way in the Tanat Valley near Pentrefelin.

20221011_103225.jpg

No need to rub it in.:whistle: In Cwm Hirnant and the steep bit of the climb is just around the corner.

20221011_110021.jpg

The view on arrival at Lake Vyrnwy.

20221011_114114_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Headed around the lake. I'm surprised at how quickly grass has colonised areas that are usually underwater.

20221011_115959_Richtone(HDR).jpg

This picture probably gives the best idea of how low the water level has got - the boathouse and slipway are high and dry.

20221011_123505_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The roadside waterfalls show that there has been plentiful rain in the last few days. Even so, it's going to take a while for the lake to recover.

20221011_125350.jpg

Gate with a view to eat my lunch beside.

20221011_132836_Richtone(HDR).jpg
At Pont Cynon. Last stop to take in the view before I head for home.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It was a lovely day today and I had a strong urge to take the mountain bike up onto the Heide. I started off through the lanes and up past the glider school. Heading into the forest the Autumn colours have really started to come through and the sun shining down through the canopy is making everything look stunning.

View attachment 663990

Surprisingly given the heavy rain in September, the trails are dry as a bone again. The route winds its way for a while through pine plantations before emerging onto gravel trails leading through to Wildech and the deep sanding section. The Silver Birch lining the trail here our a wonderful golden colour, off-set by their beautiful silver bark.

View attachment 663993

The ride undulates for a while and I emerge from the forest at Angelsbeckteich, the shores are swarming with folk enjoying the Autumn sunshine and I move on to the climb up onto the Teifental. Here it's a little quieter and I'm soon out onto the open moorland, sadly the heather is no longer in full bloom and the colour is muted.

View attachment 663994

I point the bike down into a small dell and enjoy the short downhill as the suspension and fat tires smooth out the rough trail. At the bottom a stiff climbout awaits and is a real test for me and the bike. The large 50 tooth rear cog is deployed as I lean forward to help keep the front wheel planted on the ground. Soon we've made it up and a few short kilometres later and I'm back at the top of a short descent back into the dell. It doesn't look much, but there is a short drop of as well as roots and rocks all providing an enjoyable challenge.

View attachment 663995

The next kilometres are rough single track through the forest, navigation proves a challenge as I'm going by memory and it's a little while since I passed this way. Soon I find my way blocked by fallen trees and realise I'd strayed off-route. A quick check of the map and I'm back on track and heading South.

View attachment 663996

The trail is rough for a while before giving way to gravel as a clearing appears bordered by the heathland.

View attachment 664003

Before long I hit Reberllah and take a more off-road trail back towards home. I'm having a great time blasting along under the canopy and of course I can't resist as a large puddle hoves into view. I'm just glad that I was on this bike, it was a lot deeper than it looked and luckily the bike just ploughed through. It's not long now and gravel roads are back as we get close to home.

View attachment 663997

I get in as the sun is getting low in the sky, with just a shade over 52km covered on a gorgeous autumnal day, after the grim weather of September I really needed that and hope we have more of them.

Wow - achingly idylic aspirational stuff as always. Wish I had similar round my way :becool:

Yesterday: I'd been eyeing up a few possible days for my October challenge ride and Tuesday seemed the best. I set the usual early alarm and was out on the Raleigh shortly after seven with the aim of riding to Lake Vyrnwy.

This was my first pre-dawn start of the season so the lights were needed and at the last minute I put my winter gloves in my pannier which I became glad of a bit later. I thought the traffic seemed quite busy for the time of the morning, although it wasnt as bad once past Shelton on my way to Montford Bridge. The countryside looked nice with the light of the rising sun and patches of mist hanging around.

After Great Ness there is a small hill to get over before dropping down to Willcott and Pentre where the air became much colder and by the time I got to the turn for The Royal Hill my hands felt frozen, so a pause was needed to change gloves. Like the last time I rode to Vyrnwy I took the road to Crosslanes then before reaching Maesbrook turned off on the lane past Llwyntidmon Hall.

Heading for Redwith and Waen Wen I came over a bridge to find a collie wandering in the road. He seemed startled by my presence until I stopped and made the "play" sign (dog owners will understand this one I'm sure) then he came over, put paws up on the top tube and leaned against me as though we were best friends.:laugh:

Moving on, I had expected a road closure and a diversion a little further up the road but it wasn't there - suits me just fine. At Llynclys I stopped in my usual place at the entrance to the heritage railway to have my first snack stop. I did change back to the fingerless gloves but that proved to be a bit premature and I only got a mile before the hands were too cold again.

The road up the Tanat Valley was quite pleasant riding, after the bulk of the traffic had turned off towards Llansantffraid that is, but I was finding the legs felt fatigued already and I hadn't even got to the hilly bit yet. Taking the pace a bit easier helped and I was glad that there was no wind.

The 10 mile journey up the valley was pretty uneventful then after Pedair Ffordd the climbing starts - I took it easy and made sure of dropping down the gears in good time and it turned out to be fine. The legs did take a little while to get going again after a stop at Penybontfawr but again felt better than expected when the gradient ramped up steeply again up to climb out of Cwm Hirnant and over to Llanwddyn.

Reaching the dam I had my elevenses stop and took in the view of the, currently very low, reservoir. I understand that the water level has recovered a bit with the heavy rain in the last week or so (the ruins of the old village are no longer visible) but it is still about 15 or 20 feet below what it should be. As usual I headed off for an anti-clockwise loop of the lake first which was slow to start but got better as I went along. Cruising at 14 to 16 mph was comfortable - I have been quicker in the past but didn't have the legs for it this time. There were a handful of people out walking or cycling which was nice to see - I didn't come expecting to see crowds on a weekday in October but it was nice to not be the only one enjoying the place.

At the end of the first lap I stopped for a coffee at Artisans. It took a little while to be served then I enjoyed the drink sat outside. At an adjacent table there were a couple of carers and their ward; from the conversation I overheard they were from Telford and were only supposed to have gone for an outing with a coffee stop, but ended up making a day of it (in the car it's approx an hour and a half each way from Telford). If you're going to be out longer than you should be, then do it in style I suppose.:laugh:

Back on the road I started my clockwise lap of the lake. Again I was a bit slow to get going and had a few stops for photos. I kept on catching up with the trio from the cafe as they drove slowly round the lake stopping to look at the scenery too. I had intended to complete this lap before stopping to eat again but I started to feel low on energy and by about halfway round needed to stop in a gateway with a view and have my lunch. When I started again I was feeling the cold and I wasn't sure if it was due to the energy levels not having recovered yet or if cold air had rolled in with the cloud. Either way another layer was needed and I was glad I'd thought to put an extra one in the bag.

Not needing to stop again at the dam I headed straight back to Llanwddyn, enjoying the twisty descent then warming up again on the following climb. I dispensed with the extra fleece before the next steep climb and by taking it gently found that it felt easier than expected. I took my usual alternative back to Penybontfawr (a little more climbing then a long descent). I took it easy up the climb out of Penybontfawr and the legs didn't show any sign of cramping up (if they are going to on this route, this is very often the hill where it will happen) and got my top speed of the trip down the other side to Pedair Ffordd (36.2 mph). There was a little bit of a tailwind by now and with the general downhill trend I got back down the Tanat Valley somewhat quicker than I'd ridden up it, even if I wasn't pushing very hard on the hills.

After a couple of small saddle adjustments recently I felt much more comfortable on this trip than many of the other big rides this year. Even so I found myself fidgety for a few miles from about the 78 mile mark before the saddle started to feel okay again.

I was ready for a bit more food by the time I got back to Llynclys then I stuck with the main road a bit longer to take an alternative way back through The Wood, Llwyn-Y-Go, Argoed and Kinnerley to get back to Pentre. The legs were feeling better than expected for the distance but I still didn't fancy the climb at Wilcott so headed through Shrawardine and Montford instead. The jelly babies were opened at about the 92 mile mark and gave the usual very welcome energy boost, which was needed as I can't avoid the climb between Montford Bridge and Bicton. Again, this hill didn't feel as bad as expected, especially given the mileage already covered, and when another rider overtook I was almost tempted to try and keep up. Possibly if the bike wasn't loaded up I might have been able to.

After a rather unnecessary close pass on this road I thought I'd take the longer but flatter way home so turned off to head past Gains Park, the new estate at Bowbrook, along Mousecroft Lane (enjoying it as a lane before the developers move in) and into Meole Brace where a rapid stop was needed when an elderly lady walked into the road in front of me. She apologised, I said "no problem" and it was nice to part amicably.

105.69 miles at 13.4 mph (moving) average. Almost exactly ten hours overall which I know isn't quick but does include a lot of sightseeing and the cafe stop so I'm happy.

View attachment 664323
At Montford Bridge shortly before sunrise.

View attachment 664324
The view to the Briedden and a misty Severn Valley from near Wilcott.

View attachment 664325
Maize harvesting under way in the Tanat Valley near Pentrefelin.

View attachment 664335
No need to rub it in.:whistle: In Cwm Hirnant and the steep bit of the climb is just around the corner.

View attachment 664327
The view on arrival at Lake Vyrnwy.

View attachment 664328
Headed around the lake. I'm surprised at how quickly grass has colonised areas that are usually underwater.

View attachment 664329
This picture probably gives the best idea of how low the water level has got - the boathouse and slipway are high and dry.

View attachment 664342
The roadside waterfalls show that there has been plentiful rain in the last few days. Even so, it's going to take a while for the lake to recover.

View attachment 664333
Gate with a view to eat my lunch beside.

View attachment 664334 At Pont Cynon. Last stop to take in the view before I head for home.

Great work - looks like a fantastic outing and (certainly by my standards) enourmous mileage :becool:

By stark contrast.... I've been "working" from home for the past few days as a result of feeling pretty ropey. Today's lack of work obligations was most welcome and I'd resolved to do a little utility ride on the Fuji if I felt up to it, after two days of grotty cabin fever.

First port of call was the bottle bank a mile or so north of the village, to deposit two swollen pannier bags' testament to the household's collective "functioning" alcoholism :whistle:

While it seems that every single other connurbation in the civilised world is now serviced with a doorstep glass recycling service, thanks to what I can only assume is due to Cherwell District Council being run by total knobheads, we have to drag our glass to recycling centres..

Living the dream - note the dire warnings about "fly tipping" in an effort to pass the buck onto citizens for the mounting piles of glass that result from the council's inability to empty the bins regularly, but I digress..

IMG_20221013_115726.jpg

The view across the valley - hardly on a par with some of the content on here, but preferable to the inside of my makeshift office / skull:

IMG_20221013_120340.jpg

Evidence disposed of it was back into the village, then out east to the farm shop to find the chickens are still on strike. Back west through the village to another source that thankfully yielded one box as that was all I had correct change for.

Now back at home after all of about eight miles; feeling a bit shonky again but pleased to have at least got out and glad I didn't commit to anything longer - a shame as it's a beautiful day out there. Maybe tomorrow...

geocycle

Legendary Member
Have to work at the weekend so could not let this wonderful day pass. Cool this morning but, say it quietly, no wind. I fancied a trip to Whalley to see what is left of what once was a rather impressive Abbey and still has a religious function in the 17th century buildings in its grounds. So off up the hills to Trough of Bowland, passed the sheep lining the roads at the summit, like the crowd on a mountain stage. Then followed the river south to Whitewell and Whalley. There is a lovely cafe in the courtyard called Autisan, run by people with autism and serving excellent cake to boot. Retraced my route then began climbing Longridge fell, first through Hurst Green and then the grounds of Stonyhurst College, the Jesuit-run Public School. Quite stunning and remarkably similar to my alma mater, well perhaps not. Then an undulating route brought me home. 112 km or 70 miles with 1656 m of climbing.

Pictures show the crowd at the top of the Trough, bike framing the gorgeous valley looking back to the Trough, the Whalley Abbey gatehouse and Stoneyhurst College.
AE48B147-A034-42E0-A0AC-0AFFAABACE9C.jpeg

15ACA01B-BB2E-4C2C-B06F-ECCCA9C41BD9.jpeg

A844552A-AC36-4B77-A8D5-F18B8359212F.jpeg

6BA90D42-FF87-40DF-B15A-98BCE6039411.jpeg

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
My ride today was a little "lop sided"
Have developed the mother of all saddle sores on the left so have ridden today in a very weird position!!

Going away for a week so not going to take the bike and will take my running shoes instead give the sore a week to hopefully go down with a little help from some Sudacrem.

Top Bottom