Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks. It's a great place to ride to and a favourite of mine. It's mainly stubbornness that gets me round the big rides. :shy:

No worries - looks fantastic and like a proper little outing / adventure. I'm not sure I'd make it that far even with my greater-than-usual share of stubbornness tbh. Good work for making it that far regardless of how you managed it :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I managed to get my brother out for a ride.:dance: He hasn't been on his bike since May so we headed out to do a leisurely ride on an easy local route. He said he wanted to try for about 20 miles so the route to Atcham, Upton Magna and back through Shrewsbury seemed like the one to start with.

We headed for Condover first, using the A49 for a short stretch and I was a little annoyed when a van towing a wide trailer squeezed past us with traffic coming the other way. No harm done thankfully and it was much quieter once we turned off the trunk road. Doug suggested the short cut through Allfield then I suggested the lane past Chilton which is hillier but shorter and quieter than going through Cross Houses.

Reaching Atcham we rode through Attingham Park, which wasn't as busy as last time I was here, before rejoining the road to Berwick Wharf then Upton Magna where we had a break at the cafe at the Haughmond Inn.

Starting off again, we headed to Uffington and along the old canal path, Sydney Avenue and into The Quarry. Plenty of people walking and enjoying the park in the sunshine here. Not many taking a trip on the boat though I noticed.

Finally we headed back the last few miles through Porthill and round the old bypass.

19.4 miles at 10.8 mph average. A nice ride on a good day for it (light wind and sunshine). Doug did really well and we managed to pace it so that he never seemed to be struggling despite how long it's been since the last ride.

20221013_124518_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the old bridge at Atcham.

20221013_124553.jpg

The new bridge. New is relative in this case as it was opened in 1929.

20221013_125340.jpg

Doug in Attingham Park.

20221013_141418_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At the statue of Hercules in The Quarry.

13 rider

Guru
Been out this morning to do my local hour loop which contains the climb of Polly Botts lane a hill I always try hard on . Anyway as I'm approaching the left turn theres a crowd of cyclists with numbers on there backs obviously a hill climb event is on . As I go slightly downhill before the climb I see rider no2 being held ready to go at the foot of the climb as I shoot past at 17mph I hear 5 seconds to go . The competitive part of me comes out and I think he's not going to catch me so full effort I did keep shoulder checking as I didn't want to impede him . The bottom half I drew away a bit thanks to my rolling start . Then you do a 90 degree right and the last kick up here he was closing in but with a small crowd cheering I crossed the line 3 secs in front . Good fun . Stopped to watch the rest of the 15 riders push themselves to the limit . Got chatting the the rider who chased me and he was happy he set a PB . My best time up the hill is 4.02 the guy who won from a standing start did 3.15 . I didn't set a PB as I stopped before the segment end and eventually set a time of 33 minutes. The young racing snake Mathew who lives across the road from me had come to watch his friends rode home with me ripping my legs off despite the fact he was in a puffa jacket tracky bottoms on his hybrid . An eventful ride out .

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Must be the approach of Halloween; encountered two mental dogs on a pre work trip to Sainsburys yesterday; the first giving chase for some distance whilst I was doing 15mph+ and the second lurching as if to push me off the ebike thankfully restrained by its lead.

The return in contrast saw me trying to chase down a commuter on a road bike. Thought it would be easy to ride up for a chat but although pedalling flat out on a decent whilst he was coasting I was making no impression weighed down by a kg of apples, 4 pints of milk, flour etc. Eventually gained ground on the climb of Showground hill for the briefess of conversations before our ways parted.

It's next outing will see it pass 60,000ft of climbing for the year despite going no further than around 11 miles from home and typically half of that or less on each outing.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Thursday’s ride after work. What a beautiful evening although it did get a bit nippy once the sun started to disappear. 31 miles with an average of 17.8 mph.

View attachment 664667

Sure you could take a more direct route!🤣🤣🤣

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the cross bike today for a mini off road adventure. I met up with David & Suzanne from our village and we hit the local tracks, trails, woods, towpaths and old rail lines.
A quick stop midway at Temple Newsam for a coffee where I saw Jack P. Shepherd from Coronation Street!
Fabulous ride out, 32.33 miles with an average of 11.5 mph.

8D287701-A5F1-4959-AFDD-4467A5A944BD.jpeg

61C1F3C3-5A71-4B60-884F-68351441BFBF.jpeg

8340DF0A-A5B4-41CD-8486-3D85A41F8995.jpeg

AB25C7B2-416B-41AA-8C68-4E47B21F7CAC.jpeg

8510D5B1-8CD0-4C83-ABF3-8DA3F49A3DB7.jpeg

11546BAC-08F5-4325-9C08-C576EE60609A.jpeg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Out today for a bimble on the mountain bikes with the lad. We set out in lovely sunshine and hit the forest trails to the West of us. Meandering back and forth and seeking out interesting trails.

IMG_20221015_153759483_HDR.jpg

At the moment Autumn is in full swing and that means the funghi are also in full bloom and bringing even more colour to the forest.

IMG_20221015_153746191_HDR.jpg

The forest here is a real mix of traditional woodland with birch and scots pine to areas of plantations of sitka spruce. The sun arching through the canopy is painting everything in a beautiful light.

IMG_20221015_154136647_HDR.jpg

Slowly we draw closer to the hydro electric plant where we'll cross the river, the slow moving water in front of the dam wall has bloomed with a bed of Algae that almost looks thick enough to walk on.

IMG_20221015_155502014_HDR.jpg

We take a break for a while, eating flapjack in the sun, then we move on. Just down the road a small farm has put some pumpkins out for sale in a small wheelbarrow.

IMG_20221015_161012374_HDR.jpg

Moving on through the village and out the other side we pick up the gravel path that heads East along the river side and towards home. One large grey stick on the path makes me hesitate and pull up, looking deeper we realise it's actually a grass snake sunbathing and warming up in the Autumn sun.

IMG_20221015_161814717.jpg

IMG_20221015_162204889.jpg

After we sat watching him for a while, we climbed back on the bikes and continued on towards home. We swung away from the main gravel track and onto some rougher trails between the trees.

IMG_20221015_170628757_HDR.jpg

It's clouded over now and the first spots of rain can be felt as we cover the last part back to the house. It's been a good few hours of riding this afternoon with just over 22 km's covered.

Top Bottom