Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
My mate that I often meet in the commute who rides the electric brompton has taken the plunge and bought a Gravel Bike. So today we went out for his second proper "gravel" ride around the Bridleways near Stockport.

He is building his fitness so we took it steady and he had a nice sit down whilst we had outlet brew, but it was a fab few hours of off road fun. He was a little perturbed that my Super Galaxy will go anywhere his Gravel bike will go, despite not having flared handlebars and big fat tyres ^_^

IMG_20221022_120616.jpg

IMG_20221022_120338.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Club ride today , opted to go out this morning as its forecast dire tomorrow .4 groups including a new gravel ride !
67 miles in total for me door to door in muddy conditions even though it was a sunny day there is so much standing water about from the last few days rain.I wish i had took the bike with gaurds but opted for the bum stripe look instead

View attachment 665481
made the right choice bloomin torrential out there today

Mike_P

Guru
Just after midday Saturday, the Defy equipped with its Flinger clip on mudguards, headed the normal route east to Knaresborough and along Waterside where pedestrians for once promptly reacted to the bell, although I still came to a halt to allow three approaching cars pass which were heading to the car park; surprised that does not happen more often.

Then south-east on the B6164 pass a retail park, for once without a queue of traffic waiting to enter ( a sign of the times?), across the A59 and onto the second word ABC of Little Ribston.
Little Ribston.jpg

Across to the A168 heading north for the first hourly snack break at Walshford.
Walshford.jpg

Continued northwards on the A road, on a generally upward gradient, including the Strava segment of Watch your average disappear until a decent into Boroughbridge.
Boroughbridge.jpg

North-west through Skelton-on-Ure, pausing to water a hedgerow before joining the B6265 at Bridge Hewick. Into Ripon passing the racecourse with an another hour passing I took a snack by the River Skell. Then it was slow progress, stopped by two sets of traffic lights in quick succession and then a third set as I made my way through the centre of Ripon avoiding the Market Place. Continued north-west on the A6108 and passed by a 1933 Rolls Royce 20.
old car A6108.jpg

North Stainley
North Stainley.jpg

was quickly followed by West Tanfield
West Tanfield.jpg

East-south-east to Wath in time for another snack and then largely the reverse of the initial part of last Sundays ride, which meant use of the Ripon bypass southbound for the first time; not sure why I had not done it before given my use of it northbound. The one section that I did vary was to turn off to Littlethorpe to avoid the twisty climbing A61 south of Ripon.

Coming off the bypass did mean a nice largely straight road could be followed to Littlethorpe rather than that used by NCN688. Beyond I paused as the road narrowed to allow the approaching bus, that seems to serve every village on a huge loop between Knaresborough, Ripon and York, pass. Stopped at Bishop Monkton for a final snack and then west up Moor Road to rejoin the A61.

I had earlier in the ride switched the Varia off due to a low battery alert and now switched it back on. My 530 did not want to know it so it was good to look back in Killinghall with a right turn onto the B6161 coming up and see no approaching vehicles.

55.51 miles 2231ft climbed 14 mph average
221022 route.jpg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Needed to visit a client in the city again today so cracked out the Routier. Was initially surprised by how cold I felt once up to speed on a seemingly mild day, but it was mostly downhill to start with so I wasn't really doing any work.

Took the pish a little via the (very) scenic route, did the necessary then it was back to the office, unable to wipe from my usually miserable face the smile from simply getting out on the bike in a city I love.

Only about 6-7 miles but very much appreciated and put me in a much more positive mood for the rest of the day :smile:

IMG_20221024_132239.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I’d arranged an after work ride with @Rickshaw Phil and Doug. Phil wasn’t able to join us in the end, but Doug was happy to continue.

Upon leaving the house I had an issue with the gate to my garden, which appears to have swollen in the rain and wouldn’t shut again. I resorted to smacking the latch housing with a multi tool, to at least get it to shut and will sort it out properly tomorrow in the light, when I have more time.

I met Doug and gave him the option of Upton Magna or around Town. He fancied the Town option and so we set off in the mild evening weather through Sutton Farm, encountering a driver falling out with 2 cars who’d stopped in front of him, then along the old canal path that needed care on the carpet of damp leaf mulch, to Reabrook.

We crossed the main road by the Cinema, eventually let across by a lady driver who was gesturing wildly with her arms, in exasperation at the driver in front who’d stopped to let a car out of the junction, but she seemed happy to let us across with a smile!

We then followed the cycle paths to Heathgates and then down the roads through Castlefields, to Sydney Avenue and past the weir, where there were quite a few people watching for the Salmon trying to leap, which apparently has been quite a spectacle this week.

The towpath along the river was quite busy and then the Quarry was really busy, with walkers and cyclists, all enjoying the decent weather. We walked across Porthill Bridge and then climbed up to Roman Road and back onto cycle paths to Shelton.

We’d turned into the wind there and that continued through Bowbrook, to Radbrook, complete with a prat who overtook us around a blind bend on the new estate, into the path of what would have been an oncoming car, but who thankfully had the sense to wait back behind a parked car.

We then continued along Mousecroft Lane, up through Nobold and then Meole Village. We parted ways just after and made our way back to homes.

Really good to get out with Doug, for my first ride with him since May and only his second since then. We took it leisurely, averaging 11.1 mph over the 12.8 miles I was with him.

Jameshow

Veteran
40 miles round the moor last night some guy on aero bike tried to drop me, that wasn't going to happen!! so 16.2 AVG

IMG-20221025-WA0010.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Saturday: I mentioned after the last time I took the knockabout bike out that I wanted to try an adjustment, so this seemed a good time to try it with another run round my familiar Acton Burnell loop. I headed out into a brisk headwind to Condover and Ryton where there was a pause for a drink and to make another small saddle adjustment. The first adjustment had felt fairly good, the second felt great and the bike suddenly feels quite sprightly to ride rather than being the heavy lump I'm used to. Picking up a a tailwind after Longnor helped further and I made pretty good progress to Acton Burnell.

I had intended to do the short version of the route but decided to carry on round the longer version as I'd done with the Raleigh a few days before. The route has a couple of climbs on the way to Cound Moor which were dispatched with ease and I could keep up a better than usual cruising speed down the long straight (a crosswind at this point). Having the wind helping down the hill after Harnage was great - it would be even better if the bad surface could be fixed. Flag of the day at Cound was that of Nigeria.

The wind carried on helping up to the A458 and into Cross Houses where I turned towards Berrington as usual and worked round to Lyons Lane. I thought this might be slower heading back into the wind but I got along really well including catching and overtaking another rider up the short climb by Allfield. The sprint up to the A49 was reasonably quick and I got home feeling really exhilarated. :hyper:

23.9 miles at 14.7 mph average. The slight increase in average speed over my previous quick ride doesn't really express how much better the bike felt, which I hope will bode well as I'll be using it for my longer rides when the weather turns wintery. No photos from this one.

----------------

Monday: After success with the Hawk I really wanted to try out a similar adjustment on the Raleigh. I got it out and set off to do the same route. The weather was more blustery but progress was decent, although I had some more adjustment stops as the feel wasn't quite what I'd hoped.

I'd made reasonable progress by Longnor then I picked up the tailwind, which was great and I got along at some good speeds, although having to stop for a lorry coming the other way didn't help. I knew the tailwind must be good when I got up the climb to Frodesley at about 16mph, catching and passing another rider on the way. The gentle descent to Acton Burnell was great too with 24 mph showing for a lot of it. Unfortunately I had to stop for vehicles twice more before reaching the village and again when I got there. Approaching Cound Moor I had to stop for a car right at the bottom of the dip here which was a pain as I'd usually be able to carry the momentum up the climb the other side.:dry: It was starting to feel like everyone was out to stop me getting a fast ride in.

I expected the wind to be helping on the way to Harnage but it didn't feel like it. The flag at Cound was unchanged from Saturday. The run up to the A458 and into Cross Houses felt harder than I would have expected then I turned towards Berrington and it felt like I just ran out of energy and couldn't keep the momentum up. Lyons Lane felt ponderous this time and although the speed was fairly decent for the blustery conditions on the run up to the A49, I just wasn't feeling the love anymore.

23.9 miles at 15.3 mph average. Still fairly respectable but I just felt disappointed with how everything went. I later found out that the wind had been gusting to 29mph while I was on the road - that may have something to do with it.

20221024_144358.jpg

Just the one snapshot from this ride: Lookin towards The Wrekin from near Harnage.

---------------------------------

Yesterday: I had a ride with my brother and @gavgav planned for late afternoon but I still wanted to get the Raleigh right, so took it out after lunch to reassess the adjustment and try it out. The shorter version of the Acton Burnell loop this time and I did think about riding it clockwise to make a change but, on heading out into a brisk breeze, thought that I'd have longer into the wind doing that due to the odd shape of the loop.

The riding position felt reasonable but I stopped for another tweak shortly before Condover and was happier with the comfort after that. With legs feeling tired from the previous ride I couldn't push up the hills like I'd hoped but the speed was fairly good nevertheless and none of the muscles felt overly strained. I had to stop for a taxi on the lane to Longnor but my early feelings of frustration were dissipated by the friendly wave of thanks and smile I got.

After Longnor I picked up the tailwind as on the previous rides and although I didn't get swept along as fast this time I was doing alright. I carried on through Acton Burnell and headed for Pitchford and Cantlop - the long gentle descent was great, with speeds in the mid 20s showing by Pitchford and a maximum of 31.6 in the dip by the hall.^_^ The climb to Cantlop was nothing special but the descent back to Condover was fairly good and I enjoyed having a decent tailwind for the run back to the A49.

Just over 17 miles at 16.1 mph average. I'm happy with that and importantly the legs felt good afterwards. We'll see how I get on with future rides. Again, no photos from this one as I was too busy concentrating on :bicycle:.

Unfortunately, as Gav has already reported, I didn't make it to the later ride. About 45 minutes before we'd arranged to meet up I had a migraine come on, so wasn't in a fit state to ride again. The head is still feeling quite achey while writing this more than 20 hours later.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Tricross after work. I met up with David & Suzanne at Wighill church for another ride into the night. Similar to my usual ride except we looped out to Hillam & Monk Fryston for a change. Properly dark when we got home, I don’t know what it is but there’s something exciting about night rides😁
37.4 miles with an average of 16.7 mph.

32C64157-CE50-474A-9BEA-77B8F84A4480.jpeg

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Had some time in the bank from work so trusted the weather forecast to get out today. Got drenched, but it was warm, light winds and fun! Headed up the eastern flank of the Lyth valley, through Brigsteer, Underbarrow and up to Crook before crossing the main road to Staveley. Had an early lunch at Wilf‘s and assured myself Wheelbase had nothing to tempt me. Then did a loop of Kendal up Meal bank and Oxenholme before heading home. It stopped raining in the afternoon so was pleased to squeeze my socks and tip the water out of my shoes. 103 km or 64 miles with 1400 m of climbing, and of course wet miles count double!

just the one picture today close to Staveley.

4CA4F5EC-36F1-4AA4-9804-EA6FCF252321.jpeg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This week has, on paper at least been a good one for cycling.

There was the 6-7 mile client visit on Monday then a 7-8 mile pre-pub ride around the city on Tuesday - supposed to be a sedate one but I ended up in an impromptu race with a tall bloke on a Rohlhoff-equipped hybrid - hello if you're anyone on here :hello:

Yesterday I met a mate in town after work; was pretty exhausted by this point (due to general life crapness) however it was something we both needed and added a further 7-8 miles onto the week's tally.

Finally, today I awoke too early / after too little sleep again, but a necessary trip to the shop on foot highlighted to me how nice the day was and while I couldn't quite be arsed to go out on the bike just for the sake of it, I needed sausages so figured now was as good a time as any for the first two-wheeled trip to the butchers.

The trip out would have been a little over 10 miles via the most direct route, however that's on a nasty, fast, often poorly-sighted A-road so I elected for the longer but more scenic route round the back roads which added about 30% more distance.

Feeling pretty knackered already I told myself it was going to be a steady one, and set out on the Fuji with all the practical gear I've gradually accumulated. First impressions were that I was (in a pair of light walking trousers and long-sleeved base-layer) overdressed as I got pretty warm pretty quickly. The weather forecast suggested a 10-20% of rain, and while there were ominous clouds present for most of the journey thankfully it stayed dry.

The mood soured further when, approaching the next village some knobhead overtook me, too close and causing an oncoming car to have to slow down. The stupid woman in said car seemed only concerned by my lack of helmet (from her "point frantically at my own-evidently-empty head" cherades); because my choice of headwear was clearly the most significant problem with the situation :rolleyes:

Out onto smaller, quieter roads and more autumnal beauty was laid bare. I wasn't quite sure where I was going as I'm not too familiar with that part of the world and my head unit's map sometimes fails to differentiate between roads and other, smaller routes such as bridleways.

I did the best I could but probably went out of my way somewhat; progress further confounded by the mostly-against-me SW headwind and some rampant Spaniels on the road at one point.. whose owner was very apologetic but it was no big thing and tbh after being passed by a fairly constant stream of imbeciles in cars I really appreciated at least one person acknowledging that I was actually human / worthy of some basic courtesies.

My first stop en-route was to honor someone's apparent fetish for old-school Bedford vans in a very cotswoldy village I don't think I've ridden through before:

IMG_20221027_143118.jpg

Next up was another vision of rural autumn on an unfamilar road - not that I knew it at the time but preceding a short but sharp dip in the road, that topped out at about 13% and certainly made my already tired legs protest further; although I managed to keep it out of the granny ring..

IMG_20221027_145338.jpg

Once up the other side I was greeted by a sorry-looking phone box, which demanded a picture..

IMG_20221027_145732.jpg

Butcher reached and we had a bit of a chat about the sorry state of things as he packed my meat (:whistle:); kicked off by my provision of my own containers for the range of meaty delights purchased. Provisions secured safely in the pannier bags I sat and consumed some balanced sports nutrition then pushed on homeward. Apologies - image taken with phone; affording me about as much control over the focus as the British people have over their political future..

IMG_20221027_152856.jpg

On the return leg I took a different route out of the town and found a short "road" I'd missed on the way in turned out to be a restricted byway, which was pleasant.. even if I did have to tread carefully on the wet leaves and mud. At this point I could really feel myself fading so stopped for an apple and some caffeine..

IMG_20221027_154712.jpg

Some bonus church content for those who appreciate such things:

IMG_20221027_160828.jpg

Thankfully the return leg was manageable as I think I got most of the wind on the way out, and I made my way back along a slightly different route; taking me along marked "roads" that actually went through a local estate (toffs and posh chickens, not scallies and shouty dogs) with which I was partially familiar.

It was all pretty tame and the skinny city tyres on the Fuji did fine on the wet but hard-packed tracks and tarmac; while the excellent SKS Longboards did a great job of keeping both me and the bike (largely) dry. It was certainly very welcome to get off the roads and into nature for a bit..

IMG_20221027_164337.jpg

I managed to hit 45mph down a sizeable hill near home; not really trying other than hunkering down into a more aero position and letting gravity and the tailwind do the rest :smile:

On the other side of the valley I finally relented in the face of it's short 12-ish percent climb and pushed down onto the smaller chainring to get myself to the top as by this point I was pretty much running on empty.

As I got back the shadows were long and the temperature dropping; so I was glad I wasn't out for any longer.

IMG_20221027_170246.jpg

Ultimately it was a pretty tame ride on paper at a shade under 28 miles and 1400ft of elevation at 125bpm for around 1500kcal burned and a mean speed of only 11.2mph, but it's really rinsed me out and several hours later I'm still getting that all-over glow and the aches that result from a fair bit of exertion. I am also a bit sniffly so wondering if I'm coming down with something and the ride has just pushed it along a bit...

I don't regret getting out though; having saved around £3.50 in fuel or in this journey's currency probably about two scotch eggs :smile:

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Driving home from work, yesterday, with 18.5c on the temp gauge, meant I simply had to get out and enjoy that temperature on the bike.

I only needed short sleeves on top, but decided to go for trousers, in case it dropped cooler when dark……..I should have gone for shorts, amazing really, felt like a summer evening!!

I set off into Bayston Hill, encountering knobber of the ride, in a Suzuki Swift, who after I’d clearly signalled right and moved out to the middle of the road ready to turn, decided he’d overtake anyway.

The climb up Lyth Hill felt good, even though it was a little into the wind, but the off road section is now very wet and muddy, much more rain and it will be impassable. I mentioned that I’d lost my KOM on long Strava segment up here, last week, but I managed to knock 1 &1/2 minutes off my time today, nowhere near the 6 I need though!

I descended down to Exfords Green, where the Postman was getting his van fixed on the side of the road, new tyre being fitted. I followed the lane to Stapleton, calling at Dad’s for a chat. My Brother and his partner have moved in there for a bit, so also saw them.

I set back out and still couldn’t believe how warm it was, even in the dark. It was so muggy that a damp layer had formed on all surfaces.

On Pump Lane I almost squashed what I think was a mouse, which ran across in front of me. I crossed the A49 without having to stop and then at Gonsal I paused to put on my reflective wristbands, as I suddenly thought that because I didn’t have a jacket on, my arms wouldn’t have been seen when signalling.

I surprisingly had a good tailwind to Condover, as I thought it may had been a crosswind, then along Lyons Lane, but had to stop for traffic in 3 of the most annoying places.

The final section through Betton Abbots and home was pleasant and I arrived home with 15.32 miles done at 12.3mph avg. I really enjoyed that and warm temperatures like that are good for motivating to get out in the dark

2022_10_25_Commute_01.jpg

I extended the commute today, from the usual 900-odd metres to 10k, on the basis I need the extra exercise. This involved following my old commute past my former place of employment, which felt nice if a little odd, and off to the next village down the river, then followed the river back up to work. I fretted a little about being late, but all was well, so I'll probably keep changing routes to wake myself up before work.

Top Bottom