Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I was able to get out into a nice autumn afternoon where it was still warm enough for shorts, even for this nesh soul. I took the Raleigh and thought I'd do a loop around the north of the town to make a change from the roads I've done multiple times recently.

To start with I went round the old Shrewsbury bypass to Shelton then Bicton and Montford Bridge. With a southerly wind helping I made good progress but knew I'd have to ride back into it later on so wasn't aiming to push on too hard this time. At Forton I made another small adjustment of the saddle (raised it a couple of mm) as it hadn't felt quite right on the couple of climbs before and after Montford Bridge.

Reaching Little Ness I unexpectedly found closure signs on the road to Baschurch. I thought I'd risk it as it's common for dismounted riders to be allowed through roadworks locally - the closure turned out to be Severn-Trent Water having dug up one of the bridges, so it was very tight for space, and fortunately the workers were accommodating and stopped to usher me through.

From Baschurch I headed south to Yeaton and directly into the wind for the first time this trip, which was quite strong and slowed progress on what is usually a nice fast bit of road. If I'd known about the closure I could have taken a more direct route that would have avoided the roadworks and the headwind - ah, well.:rolleyes:

Next up was Old Woods on my way to Merrington. This bit of road is quite undulating but the bike felt fairly good on the climbs, even if I had strained the legs slightly on the earlier ones. The lane I take to bypass Bomere Heath was quite muddy and the two drivers I met along it weren't going to slow or move over for anybody.:dry: The bike will be wanting a good clean after this.

Reaching Smethcote Manor I turned into the wind again and was sure it had got stronger since Yeaton. With it being slightly uphill through Plex as well, I made quite slow progress towards Hadnall. I got on a bit better to Astley then, after crossing the A53, had the climbs to Ebrey Hill and round the edge of Haughmond Hill to tackle. Ebrey Hill is not a big hill but the road is straight and exposed to the wind which makes it a mental slog more than a physical one. At Haughton I wondered if setting my saddle more level would make it feel better - it didn't and made me notably slower so that got changed back after only quarter of a mile so that I could plod my way up Haughmond Hill.

The descent to Upton Magna was fun despite the headwind then after the village I got along better to Atcham and Cross Houses. My usual route was taken through Berrington, Kingstreet and along Lyon's Lane, then after Condover the run up to the A49 was pretty good with a tailwind.

35.4 miles at 14.3 mph average. I enjoyed that despite it being windy again. Checking the Met Office website later, it had got stronger part way round the ride and 18 mph gusting to 28 was recorded which was stronger than expected from the forecast.

20221027_141439.jpg

At Yeaton.

20221027_145001.jpg

Astley.

20221027_151345.jpg

The Wrekin as seen from the top of the Haughmond Hill climb.

20221027_154213.jpg

Quite a moody sky with the Long Mynd hiding behind a curtain of showers.

Little shopping trip this morning;

IMG_3906.jpeg

bluenotebob

Veteran
Crazy temperatures here for the end of October – it was 24C when I was in Ploërmel yesterday. Slightly cooler today – “only” 19C – with a bit of rain in the morning. I had a muddy and damp outing on one of my mountain bikes before lunch then I loaded the road bike into the van and drove to Mauron.

Cycled down the V3 Voie Verte to Grancastel (just N of Ploërmel) and back. Popping acorns and trying to dodge conkers – plenty of cyclists and dog walkers around, including a couple of bikers who I always seem to see. I guess they must be on the Voie Verte every day.

52.45km cycled today which takes me to 11,416 km for the year. Still on track to get to 12,500 km in the week before Xmas .. my 70th birthday. That’ll be a big fête du chocolat….

On the Voie Verte this afternoon W of la Ville ès Zalos

Near la Ville ès Zalos pic 3.JPG

gavgav

Guru
My 3rd evening ride of the week. Been a long while since I got out that many times after work. It was another very mild one, maybe a couple of degrees cooler than yesterday, so the jacket was donned, but could probably have taken it off once the first few miles were done.

I went through Sutton Farm, to Reabrook and up to Heathgates, where a friendly van driver waved me across the busy roundabout crossing. I followed Whitchurch Rd and then through Sundorne, onto the old canal path.

The roads to Uffington and Upton Magna were really quiet, not a single car seen on the lane. Pelham Rd and the usually busy road to Atcham were also quiet, which was very pleasant.

I paused on Atcham Bridge, where the last of the sun was setting in the distance.
D745CBFD-E6F1-4C45-AF53-B934CD1BE7F7.jpeg

The road to Cross Houses wasn’t so quiet, with lots of rat runners, a few going too fast, before the busy short section on the A458 and then lanes to myself to Berrington and King St.

There were hedge cuttings on the Betton Abbots stretch, which is never fun, but hopefully avoided a puncture, before I was soon home.

16.25 miles at 12.6mph avg

gavgav

Guru
Yesterday: I was able to get out into a nice autumn afternoon where it was still warm enough for shorts, even for this nesh soul. I took the Raleigh and thought I'd do a loop around the north of the town to make a change from the roads I've done multiple times recently.

To start with I went round the old Shrewsbury bypass to Shelton then Bicton and Montford Bridge. With a southerly wind helping I made good progress but knew I'd have to ride back into it later on so wasn't aiming to push on too hard this time. At Forton I made another small adjustment of the saddle (raised it a couple of mm) as it hadn't felt quite right on the couple of climbs before and after Montford Bridge.

Reaching Little Ness I unexpectedly found closure signs on the road to Baschurch. I thought I'd risk it as it's common for dismounted riders to be allowed through roadworks locally - the closure turned out to be Severn-Trent Water having dug up one of the bridges, so it was very tight for space, and fortunately the workers were accommodating and stopped to usher me through.

From Baschurch I headed south to Yeaton and directly into the wind for the first time this trip, which was quite strong and slowed progress on what is usually a nice fast bit of road. If I'd known about the closure I could have taken a more direct route that would have avoided the roadworks and the headwind - ah, well.:rolleyes:

Next up was Old Woods on my way to Merrington. This bit of road is quite undulating but the bike felt fairly good on the climbs, even if I had strained the legs slightly on the earlier ones. The lane I take to bypass Bomere Heath was quite muddy and the two drivers I met along it weren't going to slow or move over for anybody.:dry: The bike will be wanting a good clean after this.

Reaching Smethcote Manor I turned into the wind again and was sure it had got stronger since Yeaton. With it being slightly uphill through Plex as well, I made quite slow progress towards Hadnall. I got on a bit better to Astley then, after crossing the A53, had the climbs to Ebrey Hill and round the edge of Haughmond Hill to tackle. Ebrey Hill is not a big hill but the road is straight and exposed to the wind which makes it a mental slog more than a physical one. At Haughton I wondered if setting my saddle more level would make it feel better - it didn't and made me notably slower so that got changed back after only quarter of a mile so that I could plod my way up Haughmond Hill.

The descent to Upton Magna was fun despite the headwind then after the village I got along better to Atcham and Cross Houses. My usual route was taken through Berrington, Kingstreet and along Lyon's Lane, then after Condover the run up to the A49 was pretty good with a tailwind.

35.4 miles at 14.3 mph average. I enjoyed that despite it being windy again. Checking the Met Office website later, it had got stronger part way round the ride and 18 mph gusting to 28 was recorded which was stronger than expected from the forecast.

View attachment 666144
At Yeaton.

View attachment 666145
Astley.

View attachment 666146
The Wrekin as seen from the top of the Haughmond Hill climb.

View attachment 666147
Quite a moody sky with the Long Mynd hiding behind a curtain of showers.

I’m definitely nicknaming you the “Tinkerman” with your saddle 🤣

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Scraping the barrel I may be, but following last night's half-cut 1.4 mile jaunt I've continued this week's "ride a day" by popping down to the farm shop for some eggs this morning. Only about 3.7 miles, but again, while cooler and pretty murky it was nicer out than it looked from inside.

Surprisingly given the recent dearth of eggs I arrived to find four boxes, so snaffled two and left the rest for someone else. After too much to drink last night, a short, crap night's sleep and an early start after I couldn't get back to sleep I feel markedly better for a gentle mosey on the bike.

This is the sort of day that were I still in Oxford I'd just go out and float about the city, however the thought of doing that around here is decidedly unappealing..

20221029_093123.jpg

Exploring to find a longer route to work, because commuting less than a kilometre turns out to be bad for my immune system.

Life is hard sometimes.

gavgav

Guru
I was awake at 6:10am this morning, an hour earlier than normal, with the clocks going back. So I checked the forecast and the Met Office were saying 50% chance of light rain from 11am, therefore up I got and decided to head out for the 50k I wanted to do today. A South/South Westerly wind was also on the menu….

It was still mild, as I sat out at 7:40 and enjoyed quiet roads to Meole, Nobold, through Gains Park and Calcot Lane, to Bicton and Montford Bridge.

I turned off to Forton and then along the lanes to Great Ness. The main thing I’d noticed so far was an unexpected tailwind, considering I was going West! I then crossed the old A5 and climbed up, stopping to take a photo of the Breiddens.

C4D08FD6-8ADA-4E21-B0D3-B6F7B72ABB35.jpeg

I then descended to Pentre, where the sun started to come out and it was beautiful. A few caravans were still on the site at the Royal Hill, enjoying the last of Half Term.

I was overtaken by a couple of cyclists with SYTRI (Shrewsbury Triathlon) jumpers on, at Pentre and then caught up with them at Melverley, as they’d paused before the bridge and I carried on, into Wales for the short section to Crew Green.

I then joined the main road to Coedway, where the traffic got much busier and I also had a mixture of headwind and crosswind, which considering I was heading North East, made a mockery of the Met Office forecast!

I arrived at Princes Oak and began the tough climb up Pecknall Lane, directly into the wind, which was hard going. Whilst climbing up there I had a good view of the hills towards Welshpool and could see very black skies and a curtain of rain…Considering it was 9:30, I thought to myself that there was no way it would stay dry to 11am….

I crossed the A458 at Halfway House, without a car in sight, very rarely that’s the case and then paused for a chocolate bar in the lay-by, enjoying the sun whilst it was lasting. I pressed on to Westbury and then turned onto the main road to Yockleton and Nox. Again I was struggling against the wind, which was getting more blustery now and the very dark skies were getting closer, with the hills disappearing…..I’m going to get very wet aren’t I, was my fear. Sod you Met Office, had you forgotten to put your clock back on your super computer, before you did your forecast?

I turned off at Nox and joined the lane to Lea, with the first spots of rain starting to fall at 9:50, so I paused and swapped my windproof jacket for the waterproof one, as I could see this wasn’t going to be a light shower. By the time I got to Lea Cross it was pouring down and pretty miserable. I crossed the main road and climbed up to Arscott, then it was down to Annscroft. The Ukrainian flag at Arscott confirmed the wind was now a South Easterly and there was no way it was ever Southerly or anything like any Westerly in it, despite the Met Office persistence that it still was on their app!

I turned North, towards Hook a Gate and the rain got heavier and heavier along there, so I was drenched from head to toe, by the time I got back to Meole. I continued on past the Nuffield and down the cycle paths back towards home, as it dried up for a while.

Once home I got the hosepipe out and gave the bike a much needed wash, finding out at the same time my hosepipe has a hole in it and so got an even wetter foot! I was just about to dry the bike off when the deluge returned and so I hastily put everything away.

Nice to get out early on a Sunday, but that weather was brutal for the last 45 minutes and the forecast hopeless. My waterproof jacket also appears to no longer be very proof!

34.58 miles at 12.5mph avg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I’m definitely nicknaming you the “Tinkerman” with your saddle 🤣
You may well do.;) It's been frustrating because it feels like I'm so close to having this set up just right. A little more tinkering today and it's possible I'm there - I'll see what the next few rides bring.

Yesterday: I got my brother out on the bike. :wahhey:He didn't want to do anything too long this time so the obvious solution was another run around the Acton Burnell loop. I took the knockabout bike for convenience and we set out into a brisk headwind (again). He'd expressed a preference to do the route clockwise, which would have made a change but after a couple of miles it seemed clear to me that going round anti-clockwise would work better with the wind direction.

I'd made an adjustment to Doug's bike before the start as he'd mentioned his legs felt strained during the previous ride. By the time we reached Ryton it was clear that wasn't working for him; causing discomfort and he was clearly struggling on the slightest of hills, so I tried something different which he seemed happier with on the way to Longnor. At the crossroads we picked up a tailwind and Doug's speed picked up too so that we were cruising along at the sort of pace I'd expect to do if I were out on my own. The climb at Frodesley slowed him down a bit but then we had the nice shallow descent to Acton Burnell and we were cruising along quite nicely again.^_^

The run to Pitchford was the fastest I've done in Doug's company - we were doing a steady 23mph by the time we got to the village, then it was fast into the dip by the hall and not too shabby up the climb out of it. The climb to Cantlop wasn't bad either.

With Doug going so well I was looking forward to the stretch up to the A49 and wasn't disappointed as we managed a steady 18 to 19 mph to the junction then 17 mph up the hill on the main road. :hyper:

17.1 miles at 13.2 mph average. I know we had a decent tailwind but even so, Doug was flying! He has 6 new personal bests on Strava and says that he found the bike more comfortable. I really hope this will spur him on to get out more.^_^

20221029_131335.jpg

Just the one snapshot from this ride: a quick drink and adjustment stop at Ryton.

Today: I was able to get out in the morning for a change and took the chance to rack up some miles before the forecast showers arrived. I took the Raleigh and thought I'd go for the route through Atcham, Upton Magna and back through the town centre.

Being out on a Sunday morning the traffic on the A49 was fairly quiet - indeed, I didn't have to stop at the junction as the road was clear at this point. It was windy again and still against me on the way to Condover. I had a stop for yet another tweak on the way to Condover and one more along Lyon's Lane, after which I was content to leave it alone for the rest of the ride.

I had a nice tailwind through Berrington and Cross Houses to Atcham and this time I stuck with the main road to Berwick Wharf en route to Upton Magna. There were a handful of other cyclists about which I aways like to see.

From Upton Magna I took the usual way to Uffington, enjoying getting along quite well, then joined the old canal path into town. The path is a bit on the muddy side now, making me a little glad that I hadn't already cleaned the Raleigh.

Working my way round to Sydney Avenue there were lots of people out with cameras at the weir; looking for salmon jumping as it's the season for it, then further along the towpath I encountered a teenager wearing a hi-viz waistcoat with "Shropshire Shufflers - Marshall" on the back. Another marshall by St. Mary's Water Lane made me think that I wouldn't like to meet a lot of runners on the relatively narrow towpath so I turned and headed up the hill into the town centre. I had been thinking of going this way anyway so it made that decision easy.

There wasn't a lot of traffic in the town centre so it was quite pleasant to ride round to High Street then down to Victoria Quay. I spotted my brother at work but he was busy so I didn't try to attract his attention.

Heading into The Quarry it appeared that the running event (a 10K) had not long started. Most of the runners were doing a lap in the park while the faster ones were headed away along Victoria Avenue in the direction of the weir. I slotted into a gap between groups and followed them along the avenue until I could turn off at St Julian's Friars to head for home over the English Bridge and into the wind through Belle Vue and Meole Brace. I almost made it home before the rain arrived - it caught me when I was just quarter of a mile away.

20.9 miles at 14 mph average. A good ride and I'm glad I got out when I did as the wind is more blustery while writing this.

20221030_095256.jpg

Climbing up St Mary's Water Lane.

20221030_095443.jpg

Dogpole with the Lion Hotel at the end.

20221030_095604_Richtone(HDR).jpg

High Street. Some of the Christmas decorations have already gone up.

20221030_095707_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The Square. I wonder where the group of cyclists are going to today? The statue is of Robert Clive.

20221030_100225.jpg

In The Quarry, the runners are off on their 10K.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Reasonable weather forecast and a clear diary so off into the Peak.

I had a hankering to try a dead end road which turns into a bridleway and takes you to Roach End, and it turned out to be all cyclable on the road bike, with great views of Tittesworth reservoir and the Roaches.

From there I was just following my nose, and decided to take the pretty back road through Ramshaw Rocks:

20221030_102958.jpg

Then decided to head down to Longnor, and took a diversion into the White Peak via Crowdecote and Glutton Bridge.

By now I was feeling a bit peckish, but the rather brutal climb of Hollinsclough Rake stood between me and lunch at the Flash Bar cafe. The sun peeked out to lighten the views, and excellent pasty and flapjack followed.

Now the fun started, and I set off once again in sunshine, only for my front gear cable to snap atop the cut across Axe Edge to the Cat and Fiddle. For those who don't know it, this would be an excellent candidate for "most exposed road in the entire Peak District", with absolutely no shelter and over 500m altitude.

No matter, I always carry a spare and set about replacing it. It started to rain. I decided not to rush, but stay methodical. It turned into an absolute torrent, water pooling in my waterproof socks. Still, I maintained my Zen calm. The wind gusted stronger, and now hail pelted down. Somehow, fingers completely numb, I got it sorted and set off home.

By the end of the descent, via Lamload and Deadmans, the sun was back, and fingers started to return to feeling.

A tad over 50 miles, a tad under 1800m climbing.

Mike_P

Guru
One way and another no bike wheel had turned since last Saturday and shopping duties for the ebike today. After two predictable stops, for a right turn and a set of traffic lights, a third for another right turn was overcome by a bus driver kindly flashing his lights. So the ride continued autumn colours in evidence
Luchon.jpg

and thereafter in a fortunate manner with all the normal and the less normal points where a stop would occur passed through non-stop to reach Sainsburys where the spend of just £3.53 occurred, itself aided by 58p of Nectar price discounts.

Then via Panhandle Park
pANHANDLE.jpg

where the barriers at either end had been adjusted and now straight handlebars fit through without needing waggling through while otherwise stationary, to reach Morrisons and the slightly greater spend of £5.52 aided by £4.38 of card / voucher discounts – get the feeling the 38p bit might have been why one £1.50 voucher squealed but the assistant put it through anyway but then a similarly priced voucher did the same on a product that was clearly priced more without any other discount.

Back via the Starbeck branch, here approaching Bogs Lane bridge; beyond which is the section the road bike normally uses
Bogs Ln Bridge.jpg

with just three predictable stops.

9.96 miles with 555ft of climbing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom