Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Big turnout today as yesterdays rides were canned due to weather , a very mixed bag and only one guy wanted to do my longer faster paced ride so we decided to join the others for a "shorter" ride to Fradley junction and then as we live in the same village we did a bit extra to make the metric century for the day.
Minor mechanicals as my multi tool fell out of the saddlebag and knocked my mudgaurd off its attachment so i have cable tied it on to stop it coming undone and another rider had his snap on a pothole so we managed to break off the snapped part so he could continue to ride .
Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Tricross at 9.40am with David & Suzanne from our village. We rode the 5 miles to Wighill church to meet up with Simon & Liz who had cycled from York.
We cycled to Prologue Cycles in Harrogate for coffee and cakes… lovely!
Damp roads but a decent day, 44.8 miles with an average of 15.6 mph.
23B60D01-122E-4931-976F-0E030D904751.jpeg

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I went out for a short ride today. Only 11 miles but it was good. Same route, more or less, as yesterday. Just across to an area of Norwich called Mousehold and cycled through the trees on what used to be a road and now a cyclepath and then along what used to be a mud track and now a cyclepath. Norwich have done a lot of cycling infrastructure to my happiness but to the fury of many motorists. I rode up to the edge of Rackheath then down alongside the NDR duel carriage way, on the purpose built cyclepath, to Spixworth then came home.
Neither yesterday or today were far. 14 miles on Friday on a different route, but 3 short rides in 3 days was good for me. It’s counteracting some work stress for me.

87799A88-71D6-41FC-B380-704F4886AECD.jpeg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Met office forecast last night : ‘ A dry day, with long sunny spells’. So it came as no surprise to me at dawn to hear the rain lashing down. I honestly wonder why the good folks at the Met Office bother getting out of bed each morning.

Todays ride, a 60 odd miler back to North Norfolk from the Newmarket area. Below, crossing Burwell Lode, 6 miles in.
F231870B-5653-4B1E-A9DB-AB43E3FBB516.jpeg

Then on in the downpour, through Wicken, past Ely and on across the county line into Norfolk and then Denver Sluice.

21907094-B120-4E43-856F-2507EF8BE2B8.jpeg

7C5F5DBB-228F-41E8-BCFA-6AC60F2F3EF9.jpeg

Then on north and east past Downham Market. Near Great Massingham, I noticed some nitwit has somehow managed to drive into, and knock over the trig point on Peddars Way. The bizarre idiocy of drivers never ceases to amaze.
AFEC36B5-F49F-45C1-A7C7-DA69A88CC252.jpeg

Great Massingham looking good, especially as the rain finally stopped.

A74DB291-2A53-4890-8587-8DA83B8CA7A2.jpeg

Then on through Rudham and Syderstone to the final mile into North Creake.
141AD561-F8C6-44A6-BBE7-270CB33AB48F.jpeg

66 miles in 6 hours, with a v rare tailwind. I’ve done this ride many times and it’s my quickest yet. Life in the old 54 year old legs yet. Time for a beer.
5EDD79D3-E194-414E-B8F2-9A1EE6A26575.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Wrote off a ride yesterday to try and get on with some work. By the time I was finished it was dark but enthused by having made some progress and it not seeming utterly horrible outside, I popped out for a short loop on the Fuji.

Thanks to a flattering tailwind I ended up in the local town via the largely quiet, peaceful backroads. Usually I avoid the place like the plague, however find myself there quite a lot on the bike.. all roads lead to Rome (or a grotty run-down market town) I guess. I spent a while wafting round the streets, clocking how much it's changed in my absence as the aroma of kebabs and weed hung in the air.

Ten minutes of nostalgia was enough and I made my way back; discovering the full magnitude of the wind, which was now against me. I opted to take more direct route as I was getting cold and had to stop a few villages out form home to put on my cheapo Regatta emergency fleece... it was better than nowt but served to highlight the importance of good techincal fabrics as I was starting to get very clammy by the time I arrived home.

All in all a very sedate 20-ish miles, the 7th consecutive day I've managed to get out on the bike and another win for the Fuji, as I might not have bothered with the Genesis for what I thought was going to be a short, potentially damp ride.

Definitely glad I got out, however despite the low speed I'd had enough by the end and could definitely feel it in my legs. Perhaps because of the daily rides, cold or just because I'm gettling older and less healthy..?

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Carpe velo! A work meeting was cancelled and last night‘s storm had subsided. First retrieved garden furniture from all four corners then decided a ride was justified by the light winds and sunshine. Headed eastward through Wray to Settle where the Naked Man provided an early lunch. Sat outside enjoying more sunshine and munched my way through a pasty. Crossed the Ribble and took the road up the West Bank through Little Stainforth then west to Austwick and Clapham. The storms had boosted the rivers so went to have a look at the falls before climbing the old road across the shoulder of Ingleborough to Ingleton and home. 104 km or 64 miles with 1065 m of climbing. The unexpected rides are often the best.

photos of Ingleborough, Clapham waterfall and bike offering a scale to Penyghent.

BCC5F4B7-83A6-4B46-8562-E10484FA9CA9.jpeg

8E547572-65B5-4B3D-BF6F-650EAB70162B.jpeg

94B6BF89-A546-4BED-8307-9FF4F9DFE0C0.jpeg

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Had 2 rides today
Morning for pleasure.
Afternoon, things to do about Glasgow.

North out of Glasgow towards the Campsies.
Back along the canal from Kirkintilloch and over the new bridge on the canal in Maryhill.
I don't like it, at all.

20221103_101330.jpg

20221103_122533.jpg

20221103_103406.jpg

20221103_121822.jpg

strava1185834669305292274.jpg

Afternoon ride was fairly uneventful , city centre bus dodging

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Had 2 rides today
Morning for pleasure.
Afternoon, things to do about Glasgow.

North out of Glasgow towards the Campies.
Back along the canal from Kirkintilloch and over the new bridge on the canal in Maryhill.
I don't like it, at all.

View attachment 666829

View attachment 666830

View attachment 666831

View attachment 666832

View attachment 666833

Camped in the campsite hills during the 2014 commonwealth games and took the train in each day from a funny sounding station.... Milngavie!!

Jameshow

Veteran
Carpe velo! A work meeting was cancelled and last night‘s storm had subsided. First retrieved garden furniture from all four corners then decided a ride was justified by the light winds and sunshine. Headed eastward through Wray to Settle where the Naked Man provided an early lunch. Sat outside enjoying more sunshine and munched my way through a pasty. Crossed the Ribble and took the road up the West Bank through Little Stainforth then west to Austwick and Clapham. The storms had boosted the rivers so went to have a look at the falls before climbing the old road across the shoulder of Ingleborough to Ingleton and home. 104 km or 64 miles with 1065 m of climbing. The unexpected rides are often the best.

photos of Ingleborough, Clapham waterfall and bike offering a scale to Penyghent.

View attachment 666780

View attachment 666781

View attachment 666782

My sort of ride!!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist

Mike_P

Guru
Started work (at home) early today to get a longer than town centre shopping ebike ride in at lunchtime. The ride did come to an abrupt halt as I noted the motor control unit on the handlebar was dead – the battery can seem to be in place when its actually not fully home so it connects and then becomes discontinued as the ride goes on.

Getting across both the A61 and the A59 were slow matters with the climb of Chatsworth Grove, aka Humps and a Hill on Strava, between them along with a slightly worryingly halt for a reversing van that transpired to be turning round to go back down the road it had come off.
Did record a new PR on the Starbeck branch despite four legged potential obstacles
dog.jpg

The path climbing away on the right is NCN67 also on the alignment of an old railway.
Another wait, for a right turn this time onto the A59, over the level crossing and onto Morrisons.

The third encounter with the A59 was more positive, a clear left turn on it with the ebike now equipped with the pannier that had been in my rucksack, although that was more a case of not having enough room in the rucksack with the pannier in it than the quantum of shopping bought.

The headwind was a bit strong passing the new Lidl which the ebike has yet to visit. Then to a signed cycle route avoiding a busy roundabout so a fourth and final encounter with the A59 at a crossing that I approached hopeful that it was going to go red to traffic only to realise the couple the other side were in deep conversation and not waiting to cross. The lights did however change quite quickly and further on a set of TTLs around a mini roundabout were thankfully set to the side. Only a brief pause to recross the A61.

8.92 miles 502ft of elevation taking the ebikes altitude gain to 62,263ft so far this year.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
35 miles yesterday testing my thicker insoles which i took out at the cafe stop , yes i know its not really far enough for one but this was only ever a day off cake ride :smile:
I thought my knees were ok with the new pedals but still an issue so today im going to change my cleat set up as it could be that mine make me have the knees to wide now .
Anyroad Newlands farm near hatton has a lovely little cafe in a cabin with nice view across the fields
1667629537163.png

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Eggs from the chosen source remain in short supply, so earlier I resolved to pop down there on the Fuji in the hope I'd catch some before the hoardes had bled the place dry - no such luck.

While not desperate and despite the fact it seems more miserable today and noticeably colder (perhaps made worse by the fact I'm 36hrs into a fast) I appreciated being out on the bike so pushed back west through the village to try my luck at the next settlement.. by contrast the unattended egg stall there had plenty, however under less favourable conditions as they're 10p more at £1.60; meaning correct change is less likely while there's no facility to take change.. so they had to make do with the £1.55 I had and a 5p IOU.

I moseyed back, again thankful for the accessibility of the Fuji allowing me another ride that probably wouldn't have taken place if it had involved putting on the silly shoes and taking the best bike out in the wet. I was also thankful for the pannier as it allowed me to leave my rucksack at home, and thus wear my nice fleece without fear of its back getting bobbled to buggery.

Thankfully I don't think I encountered any muppets today; in stark contrast to Thursday's ride which (in only 3.5 miles) saw numerous close passes and one inconceivably vacuous woman pulling out (admittedly well wide) to go around me right in the face of oncoming traffic, so having to brake sharply and pull back in behind me again..

Only about six and a bit miles but as usual I feel a bit better for having got out :smile:

Jameshow

Veteran
Eggs from the chosen source remain in short supply, so earlier I resolved to pop down there on the Fuji in the hope I'd catch some before the hoardes had bled the place dry - no such luck.

While not desperate and despite the fact it seems more miserable today and noticeably colder (perhaps made worse by the fact I'm 36hrs into a fast) I appreciated being out on the bike so pushed back west through the village to try my luck at the next settlement.. by contrast the unattended egg stall there had plenty, however under less favourable conditions as they're 10p more at £1.60; meaning correct change is less likely while there's no facility to take change.. so they had to make do with the £1.55 I had and a 5p IOU.

I moseyed back, again thankful for the accessibility of the Fuji allowing me another ride that probably wouldn't have taken place if it had involved putting on the silly shoes and taking the best bike out in the wet. I was also thankful for the pannier as it allowed me to leave my rucksack at home, and thus wear my nice fleece without fear of its back getting bobbled to buggery.

Thankfully I don't think I encountered any muppets today; in stark contrast to Thursday's ride which (in only 3.5 miles) saw numerous close passes and one inconceivably vacuous woman pulling out (admittedly well wide) to go around me right in the face of oncoming traffic, so having to brake sharply and pull back in behind me again..

Only about six and a bit miles but as usual I feel a bit better for having got out :smile:

Our egg machines have been laying poorly if late!

Top Bottom