The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
November's ride done yesterday, Monday 6th.

There was a good south-westerly wind so I headed north-east to Cromer on the Norfolk coast. It was already half-light when I set out at 6.20, and got my first puncture after 18 miles near Dullingham, which is on the higher ground above Newmarket. Annoyingly the hole was in exactly the same place, and went down with exactly the same sound and speed, as one the previous day, and I'm still not sure I've found the cause. Still, it held perfectly for the next 93 miles.
Breakfast stop was at Brandon at 41 miles, and I then crossed a corner of Thetford Forest through the picturesque forestry commission village of Santon Downham, and along a sandy/potholey 'byway open to all traffic' for a mile or so through the trees. The 23mm tyres weren't the most appropriate but I went slowly and for a short distance like this it was quite fun.
It was a sunny day, and the Norfolk lanes from here up to the coast were lovely. Had another snack stop in Holt at 88 miles, then it was over the last ridge of woods and heathland and down to the coast at Weybourn, and I was in Cromer by about 3.15, on 101 miles. I considered carrying on round the coast until sundown, but it had clouded over and the temperatures were dropping, so I caught the 15.57 train home from Cromer.
Two trains later I arrived back in Cambridge, only to find the front tyre was flat again. I could have repaired it again at the station and ridden the last 8 miles home, but seeing that there was a train to my local station due a few minutes later I wimped out and caught that, and rode just the last mile home on a spongey tyre which had gone down again by the morning.

Consecutive monthly centuries : 59
Century rides ever : 135

Puncture
IMG_20231106_074002.jpg

Sandy byway in Thetford forest
IMG_20231106_103607.jpg

Arrival at Cromer
IMG_20231106_152337.jpg

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one @robjh .
Those weird punctures are a pain. Had similar a couple of months back, just couldn't find the cause. In the end I literally turned the tyre inside out and inspected it with a fine tooth comb. In the end I found the smallest shard of glass had worked its way through the tyre. Only tiny but enough to rub against the inner and cause punctures

Anyhoo. One more month to go for you. I'm itching to get out and do my ride but family blah blah means it will be weekend after next.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
November's done ,looked like possibly the last decent day with no wind or rain , Set off this morning at first light on a challenging route up to Ashbourne in the peaks to grab some velo viewer squares , 103 miles done with 5800ft of upness . Slow going by the end
20231117_104849_035517.jpg

Photo doesn't do it justice ,highest point on today's ride some lump near Ashbourne looking back from where I came

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Completed my unofficial ride a century every month today. Weather has been horrendous this month and by pure luck the forecast for today was no rain, and I'd booked today off work ^_^

So I rode out to Brum and back. It might have been dry, but with all the rain lately the roads were absolutely filthy, the bike is that mucky, I may have to clean it. :ohmy:

robjh

Legendary Member
Another year over....

Completed the monthly rides for 2023 today with a trip out to the Suffolk Coast and the two little touristy villages/ports at Orford and Aldeburgh, and finished by bombing up a busy A road in the dark to Norwich to catch a train home. At 127 miles it was a bit further than I'd originally envisaged, but the various railway stations I could have taken after I got to the century such as Beccles or Lowestoft all involved lengthy waits for a connecting train on the way, so I decided to use that time on the bike instead, which was why I was racing for Norwich in the twilight.
The riding itself was easy today, but although dry and mild and with a 'good' wind, it was still overcast and wintry and everything looked rather washed out. Still, it was nice to get to the seaside, and I brought home a panier of fish from the beachfront shacks at Aldeburgh, to eat tomorrow. Out of season the roads along the coast are almost empty,but I made up for that on the last mad stretch on the A146. This gave me quite a buzz and I arrived back at Norwich station on a high.

IMG_20231215_120806.jpg

IMG_20231215_120117.jpg

IMG_20231215_133242.jpg

IMG_20231215_165010.jpg

the year in a map (there is also an Italian ride in April, not shown here)
1702680802534.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm done , 103 miles out to Birmingham and back to grab some velo viewer squares . A lot more wind than I would have like but considering the weather we've had this month so far it wasn't that bad . Found this year a real slog to get done

I've found I'm having to have more stops, I had three on Friday. A coffee only stop, a sit by the road for 5 minutes stop, and a food stop

13 rider

Guru
I've found I'm having to have more stops, I had three on Friday. A coffee only stop, a sit by the road for 5 minutes stop, and a food stop
Now you know how us oldies feel 😂

robjh

Legendary Member
I should have added that this month's ride completed 5 years of this challenge - 60 consecutive months with at least one 100+ ride, and now a total of 136 century rides since my first one in 2008.

This is a map of all the qualifying rides since January 2019, missing only 3 rides which were in Germany, Italy and Shetland and wouldn't fit on the map
1702849180099.png

robjh

Legendary Member
What did you use to make that heatmap @robjh ?

This site :
https://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

It can be a bit temperamental and is useless at the end of December when everyone is overloading it with their yearly rides, but produces these nice results with a bit of patience. I tag all the rides I want to group together with something in the title (for these rides I use #C23 for 2023 centuries etc), then tell it to search for that keyword.
For some reason it currently seems to work better on Microsoft Edge than Chrome for me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This site :
https://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

It can be a bit temperamental and is useless at the end of December when everyone is overloading it with their yearly rides, but produces these nice results with a bit of patience. I tag all the rides I want to group together with something in the title (for these rides I use #C23 for 2023 centuries etc), then tell it to search for that keyword.
For some reason it currently seems to work better on Microsoft Edge than Chrome for me.

Thanks. My rides aren't on Strava so that's not one for me, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom