The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Started 2024 today, 21st Jan.

It was a day of fierce south-westerly winds but higher temps than of late, and Ian from one of the local groups I ride with had the idea of a one-way ride to Norwich. Three of us - it wasn't that popular - set off from Cambridge at 8 am, covering the first 30 miles or so on familiar club ride roads, and we then carried on in the same direction on mainly minor roads with a couple of diversions to visit locations from Ian's RAF days at a base in deepest Suffolk. We met almost no other cyclists on the roads and in fact very few cars for much of the way. For large parts we absolutely flew along but there were plenty of twists and turns and mucky roads, and in one place compacted ice with only two wheel ruts clear.
With only one cafe stop and one puncture we arrived in Norwich at 2.30. I was by now on 93 miles and decided to make it up to the century, so while the others headed to the station I did another 11 miles, out to Drayton on the Marriott Way, a well-surfaced route on an old railway alignment, and back into town, in time for a 5 o'clock train home. 104.1 miles total for me, then another 8 home from the station.
1705872637477.png

Total centuries ever : 138; months of consecutive centuries, for this challenge : 61

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Started 2024 today, 21st Jan.

It was a day of fierce south-westerly winds but higher temps than of late, and Ian from one of the local grouos I ride with had the idea of a one-way ride to Norwich. Three of us - it wasn't that popular - set off from Cambridge at 8 am, covering the first 30 miles or so on familiar club ride roads, and we then carried on in the same direction on mainly minor roads with a couple of diversions to visit locations from Ian's RAF days at a base in deepest Suffolk. We met almost no other cyclists on the roads and in fact very few cars for much of the way. For large parts we absolutely flew along but there were plenty of twists and turns and mucky roads, and in one place compacted ice with only two wheel ruts clear.
With only one cafe stop and one puncture we arrived in Norwich at 2.30. I was by now on 93 miles and decided to make it up to the century, so while the others headed to the station I did another 11 miles, out to Drayton on the Marriott Way, a well-surfaced route on an old railway alignment, and back into town, in time for a 5 o'clock train home. 104.1 miles total for me, then another 8 home from the station.
View attachment 719515
Total centuries ever : 138; months of consecutive centuries, for this challenge : 61

Well done Rob. A testing day for any ride no doubt.

13 rider

Guru
I’m just getting over Covid, but hoping to do a ride up to Grimsby on Saturday.
Why Grimsby

footloose crow

Über Member
In between ice, strong winds, heavy rain and commitments to do societally useful things (maybe?) like chair governor meetings, I found a day when a 100 mile ride was possible. That day was today; a grand tour of famous landmarks like St Micheal's Mount, Mousehole ('Mouzel'), Lands End and the North Cliffs. Reasonable level of wind, not too cold, all went well.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 20.18.50.png

footloose crow

Über Member
Well done @footloose crow , I am surprised that even with doing the coast roads the ride has less elevation ( although more than enough) than I thought

I spent a lot of time on RWGPS searching for ways to minimise altitude gain! Going around the head of valleys rather than straight up and down. It is possible to find longer stretches of more rolling roads. The next ride may well be hillier....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In between ice, strong winds, heavy rain and commitments to do societally useful things (maybe?) like chair governor meetings, I found a day when a 100 mile ride was possible. That day was today; a grand tour of famous landmarks like St Micheal's Mount, Mousehole ('Mouzel'), Lands End and the North Cliffs. Reasonable level of wind, not too cold, all went well.

View attachment 719722

That looks a fabulous route, I'm so envious. I would love to do that ride for one of my 100's.

Top Bottom