The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got my February ride in today. I will update the thread later but need to recover first, not from the ride but from the shock of cleaning the bike, It might have been a tad mucky when I got back:laugh:

13 rider

Guru
I'm somehow still in managed 102 miles out to Uttoxter way . I've been suffering from a bad back for the last week and with days running out I took the chance on it . Dosed up with pain killers the first half was fine other then the temperature dropping to -4 in the fog in the Trent valley but coming home I hit the headwind and suffered all the way home last 10 miles can only be described as torture ,struggled to get off the bike at the end . But it's done

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm somehow still in managed 102 miles out to Uttoxter way . I've been suffering from a bad back for the last week and with days running out I took the chance on it . Dosed up with pain killers the first half was fine other then the temperature dropping to -4 in the fog in the Trent valley but coming home I hit the headwind and suffered all the way home last 10 miles can only be described as torture ,struggled to get off the bike at the end . But it's done

Well done, was it flooded around Trent valley?

robjh

Legendary Member

Well done, I've got to get mine done in the next 4 days - thank goodness February has an extra day this year! (and that I'm not working much these days 🙂).
I'm still coming out of a bad cold that has kept me off the bike this weekend, but I'll just have to steel myself and drag myself out one day this week.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've got February done, with one day to spare.

I followed the wind (as usual) and rode to Lincoln, on a minor variation of routes I've used in recent years which go via Stamford and avoid the Fens. The riding was really quite easy but it was a miserable day where the fog never fully lifted and there was a damp chill in the air, and I reached Lincoln in no mood for my usual tourist bit up to the cathedral, but had a coffee and caught the next train home.
Despite all that, now I'm home I feel that I had a really good day. Must have been type 2 fun.

I left home at 6.15 this morning, got to central Lincoln about 14.45, and had one significant break of about 45 minutes, for a distance of 174km/106 miles. Consecutive months with a 100+ mile ride : 62. Total number of 100+ mile rides ever: 138.

My shortcut to Stamford along the decrepit A1 footpath.
l_iMUSYy1uvlLYQ8UYrXo4VC6wyVIcRZ52mTd1_U-1536x2048.jpg

1709156788426.png

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
March's ride done and dusted. A quarter of the year already.
A repeat of last months ride I did through the Weald Of Kent. Down south eastwards to Appledore then turning back north west to Ashford and Wye.
It seemed so much more harder today then it was last month. I was on a heavier bike, there were many flooded, muddy roads and the cold made for a bit slower going.
So, scores on the doors.
120 miles for the day
Imperial century #3 for the year.
Imperial Month 160 in a row
Imperial Century ride #337
A few future Eddington numbers to boot.
Sorry no pics today
Map 030324.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
No. 3 done for this year, today 8th March.

The wind has swung around to blow west (a nice change), so I headed from Cambridgeshire towards the Midlands, and was blown along nicely.
I had started with the intention of riding to Birmingham, and had booked an evening train home from there, but switched to the idea of just riding westwards south of Brum, passing near Banbury and Stratford on Avon, and catching a local train up to the city from however far I got. That 'how far' turned out to be Droitwich - I considered pushing on to Kidderminster but stopped earlier so as not to cut my train connections too fine, and Droitwich also made a neat 200 km(or 201k / 125 miles to be exact).
The sun never really broke through as forecast and it stayed cold all day, but it was a really good day's riding, a mix of fast progress on medium size roads, and smaller roads and rolling countryside from Northamptonshire to Worcestershire.

On the train from Droitwich to Snow Hill I shared the bike area with another cyclist, Andy, who turned out to be another long-distance and night rider and we spent an enjoyable hour on the train swapping tales and routes, he extolled the fun of sportives to me and I recommended the Dunwich Dynamo to him.

I left home at 5.35 this morning and got to Droitwich about 4, with stops during the ride for about 90 minutes in total.
Consecutive months with a 100+ mile ride : 63. Total number of 100+ mile rides ever: 139

1709942928867.png

I couldn't get my new Garmin to load routes on the fly, so resorted to old technology, which may require a little more concentration but never breaks down
IMG_20240308_154035.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
March,s done , Leicester to Birmingham and back , tough outward leg into the wind but a lovely tailwind section coming home . In Birmingham my average speed was 13.3mph ,finished the ride at 14.7mph lots of prs coming home , ride distance 101.98 miles , so got back on the bike posted a letter at the post box so a 103 mile day for future Eddington increase ,currently need 5 more over 101 to get there

robjh

Legendary Member
Got this month's in last Friday, 12th April. It was an out-of-area ride for me as I went down to Cornwall and Devon for a few days, mixing cycling with other things of interest (that part is on the Rail Enthusiasts' thread if anyone is interested), and doing my monthly century on different roads was a big part of the appeal.
I stayed at Penzance youth hostel on Thursday night, and was away by 7am, riding first along the Penzance seafront to Marazion before heading inland towards Praze-an-Beeble and thence to Truro by a series of very small and often steep roads. The sun came out and it was unfailingly pretty, but at one point I had to take shoes and socks off and carry my bike through an overflowing ford. After Truro I went through the heart of china clay country around Nanpean and Roche, passing big quarries while on long climbs until another big downhill led me to Bodmin for a lunch stop.
Out of Bodmin I followed the Camelford Trail along the former quarry railway to Wendfordbridge, before getting back onto the roads. However, with the hills and my heavier than normal touring bike I felt time was slipping away a bit, so then stuck to the A39 for the next 20 or so miles to Bude. It was good riding, the traffic was not overbearing and I made good progress with the tailwind. I eventually crossed into Devon and arrived at Elmscott hostel, near Hartland, at about 7pm. 12 hours for 103 miles doesn't sound fast, but I need to remember that this bike always has that effect, especially with hills, but at least I never run out of gears.
It had got quite cold again by this time, and the wind was whistling over the cliffs, but I had just time for a quick ride out to see the sunset over the sea before retiring to the hostel for a shower.

Consecutive months with a 100+ mile ride : 64. Total number of 100+ mile rides ever: 142.
20240412 (7) Marazion.jpg

wading through the flood
20240412 (10) on ride to Truro.jpg

1713213428349.png

Top Bottom