The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Well done on the ride :thumbsup:

I'm getting just a little confused now :wacko: ........ Are you in the ICAM challenge? I know you were considering it :smile:

No, I was but just felt it was a stretch too far for me in the darker months - going to stick with 100k rides and hopefully quality miles, aiming for speed this year over distance.

Cheers!

sittingbull

Veteran
........ it was a stretch too far for me in the darker months ........

I can fully appreciate this having seen the location of some of your Strava links. The guys down sarf will probably have the Ambre Solaire out for the March qualfier ;)

Good luck with the 100k rides :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So that's March's qualifying ride out of the way with. A surrey/Kent loop in the good company of @rb58 , @Mista Preston and @iLB 's, with a bonus brunch time appearance from @Trickedem

I usually do this route in a clockwise direction but due to the very strong westerly winds, decided to do it anti-clockwise. And it was the right decidion. Once we had reached mile 20 of the ride we turned east to be blown along for the next 30 miles to our lunch stop. Only waylayed by my Garmin throwing a complete wobbly at Lingfield and iLB hitting a hidden puddle pothole which resulted in the inevitable snakebites for his rear inner tube.

56 Miles in and brunch was had at Yalding, at the very friendly and cheap cafe. We got there with a 18.2mph average, which is not too shabby. Once lunch was had (they did forget about Mista Preston's beans on toast, but quickly remedied) )..we then had the climbing and rolling hills of Kent to contend with, including the thigh busting Hunton Hill just outside of Yalding. 20 more wind assisted miles and we had to turn north then west, straight into into the vicious wind. Mixed with rolling Kent hills it made for tough going in parts. But we persevered and kept the pedals turning. A couple of times on exposed bridges or high ground the buffeting of the wind caught me by surprise.

I lost count of how many cyclists we saw today. The almost spring-like weather certainly get's some bikes out of hibernation.

So, March's ride done nice and early.
112 Miles at an average of 16.2mph. Century # 6 for 2015, century # 140 over all.
010315.png

The Garmin wobble
010315wobbly.png

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Good effort Ian, far too windy here for me to attempt today & besides i had a little 10 hour shift to do :sad: I've no free weekend's this month to do a club century ride, so looks like I'll be picking a nice day that I'm off & trying solo :blush:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have this week off, hoping to get mine done. Rather blowy for the first part of the week, Thursday looks good (might not ride back from Brighton if there's a headwind as predicted).

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Anyone else planning their march ride for coming weekend?

forecast is for mostly dry and liggt or moderate Swly winds.

Im doing Making Hay audax on sat.
I have been slow and sluggish on the bike since xmas.I havent lost any lard or done much training but am optimistically hoping for a miraculous improvement..^_^

Anyone else planning their march ride for coming weekend?

forecast is for mostly dry and liggt or moderate Swly winds.

Im doing Making Hay audax on sat.
I have been slow and sluggish on the bike since xmas.I havent lost any lard or done much training but am optimistically hoping for a miraculous improvement..^_^

This weekend looks like a dead cert for another imperial for me.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have this week off, hoping to get mine done. Rather blowy for the first part of the week, Thursday looks good (might not ride back from Brighton if there's a headwind as predicted).
....And I did. Winds today supposed to be the lightest of the week, and as it was westerly I planned out a route heading into it for the first half. Still quite blustery and hard work at times but fairly nippy non the less. Glad to get it done and dusted, the usual SMRbtH from Brighton almost certainly won't be happening (fifty miles into a 15mph wind? I think not...).

Top Bottom