The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've added the following to the qualifying rude rules.

COVID. During these tough times one stop at home for refuelling during your ride is permitted. Hopefully meaning a qualifying ride can be planned sticking to more local routes than usual.

I hope this works for people.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've finally had some sense talked into me.

I had a major setback at the end of last year. Despite this I managed to grind out the last two rides for the 2020 challenge, and I'm very, very pleased that I did this.

But for all sorts of reasons, I don't think that trying to join this year's challenge would be a good idea. With a temptingly fine forecast for tomorrow, my wife's counsel is to forget the 100-milers for now and build myself back up with shorter and more frequent rides - strangely similar to what I've often told myself I should be doing without ever taking my own advice. :wacko:

I needed to be told this; the challenge is extraordinarily addictive and left to by own devices I'd've felt compelled to try.

13 rider

Guru
Tough decision @Aravis but if you feel it right for you then it's right your counsel seems sensible . It's different when you had 10 months in the bank rather than starting on the grind again
Hopefully see you in 2022
I'm still undecided as to what to do this year

Ajax Bay

Guru
forget the 100-milers for now and build myself back up with shorter and more frequent rides - strangely similar to what I've often told myself I should be doing without ever taking my own advice.
Get out and enjoy the rides.

I was a year ahead of you (and in the same boat of 'not taking my own advice'). Having easily completed metric centuries '16 and '17 (and SRs) I stepped up to doing both metric and imperial in '18 and '19 (and SRs, and RRTY in '18/19) but decided in Jan 2020 to 'drop back' to just metric in '20. As the year unfolded, that was fortuitous, though I did manage some long rides August and October to get my SR with 10 days to go.

For those of us not commuting by bike, there's a tendency to say (to ourselves) 'got to be a long one' to the detriment of (average power*) quality (for a shorter ride say 2-3 hours) and getting in the hills. As you say: "shorter and more frequent rides" to which I'd add 'harder' and greater variation in speed/effort during those rides. Having spouted all that, I'm still 'not [properly] taking my own advice'.
* For clarity, I do not have a power meter nor do I review any made up calculation of power.

Tribansman

Veteran
Forecast was good yesterday so got out early on a local 50 mile loop that went back and forth and stayed within 7 miles or so of home. Then did it backwards so just about chalked up the century. Stayed fully socially distanced on main-ish roads... which is more than can be said of lots of the walkers and runners I saw out.

Deliberately didn't factor in a halfway stop off at home as would have found it difficult to set off again, esp with my little lad asking why I had to go out again! Took my panniers so carried enough water and tools to make sure I was fully self sufficient. Only got off the bike once to go loo and refill water.

Haven't done many miles in January so took me a while to get going but felt better as the ride went on. The sunshine definitely helped...

IMG_20210117_085358.jpg

IMG_20210117_085341.jpg

IMG_20210117_085403.jpg

Trickedem

Guru
lovely day for a ride yesterday. I did 3 local loops staying less than 10 miles from home. Only managed 11mph average, but did do nearly 6000ft of climbing! I had a picnic at a bus stop, having taken a flask of coffee and a roll. The roads were fairly quiet and mainly only saw cyclists and walkers.
IMG_20210117_095345.jpg

IMG_20210117_142331.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
lovely day for a ride yesterday. I did 3 local loops staying less than 10 miles from home. Only managed 11mph average, but did do nearly 6000ft of climbing! I had a picnic at a bus stop, having taken a flask of coffee and a roll. The roads were fairly quiet and mainly only saw cyclists and walkers.
View attachment 569536
View attachment 569537
I saw you went through Vigo (the one in Kent not Spain). I remember some quite savage climbs on the minor roads around there when climbing up from the Gravesend direction.

Tribansman

Veteran
I went down Vigo Hill this time. it's a beast of a hill to climb and there is a footbridge near the summit. First time I climbed it there was a family on the bridge cheering me on:rolleyes:

Kent is one of the few counties in England I've never cycled in, really keen to when restrictions ease.

Just looked up Vigo Hill and yeah, what a beast! Gets to 25% doesn't it, and also looks as if it's likely to be permanently shaded and slippy. Although saying that, I do dream of having those sorts of climbs in Herts! Having only re-taken up cycling 4 years ago after I'd moved to Letchworth, really wish I'd kept it up from childhood (when I cycled loads with my Dad and brother) so I could have hit the hills and dramatic scenery when I lived in Lancs and Cumbria.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Kent is one of the few counties in England I've never cycled in, really keen to when restrictions ease.

Just looked up Vigo Hill and yeah, what a beast! Gets to 25% doesn't it, and also looks as if it's likely to be permanently shaded and slippy. Although saying that, I do dream of having those sorts of climbs in Herts! Having only re-taken up cycling 4 years ago after I'd moved to Letchworth, really wish I'd kept it up from childhood (when I cycled loads with my Dad and brother) so I could have hit the hills and dramatic scenery when I lived in Lancs and Cumbria.

When restrictions have ended and we can all go about our business again in a safe manner, Im sure myself and @Trickedem would set up a Kent ride and invite you down. There's some glorious roads in kent.

Tribansman

Veteran
When restrictions have ended and we can all go about our business again in a safe manner, Im sure myself and @Trickedem would set up a Kent ride and invite you down. There's some glorious roads in kent.

That'd be great, would love that. Great to have things to look forward to! Maybe factor in a beer garden stop too...? 🍻

Trickedem

Guru

The lanes around the North Downs are fabulous. There is very little through traffic, so not many issues with cars and most locals are expecting cyclists and horse riders so tend to drive slowly. Lots of hills though.
I had actually planned a route for a Friday's Club Ride called Herons and Hills, that takes in some of the best bits local to me, starting and finishing in Rochester. I will definitely be running this as soon as possible, so will let you know. This includes one of the toughest hills in my area; Lockyers Hill. It is relatively short but is at least 25%. In the winter, getting a grip on the fallen leaves can be tricky.
Here is the route

Top Bottom