The importance of rest and good food.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just been out for a quick leg stretcher after a two-week Africa trip during which I took zero exercise and ate and drank well. Last weekend I was in Johannesburg, which is at 5500 feet so I considered a session on the hotel exercise bike but after a few experimental minutes the odd position began to give me strange aches and pains so I stopped on the basis that the possibility of an injury outweighed the loss of fitness.

Prior to the trip I had been cycling a lot and had lost some weight; my belts were loose and shirts kept coming untucked but I felt tired and bad-tempered and achey and seemed to be picking up sore throats a lot. So after two weeks or no exercise at all and plenty of beer, steak and fresh fruit and salad, how did I feel? Absolutely fantastic! The legs felt strong and not achey and the cardio-vascular fitness was good, even if it was slightly diminished.

The problem is: how to fit that regime of rest and good food into daily life at home?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've just been out for a quick leg stretcher after a two-week Africa trip during which I took zero exercise and ate and drank well. Last weekend I was in Johannesburg, which is at 5500 feet so I considered a session on the hotel exercise bike but after a few experimental minutes the odd position began to give me strange aches and pains so I stopped on the basis that the possibility of an injury outweighed the loss of fitness.

Prior to the trip I had been cycling a lot and had lost some weight; my belts were loose and shirts kept coming untucked but I felt tired and bad-tempered and achey and seemed to be picking up sore throats a lot. So after two weeks or no exercise at all and plenty of beer, steak and fresh fruit and salad, how did I feel? Absolutely fantastic! The legs felt strong and not achey and the cardio-vascular fitness was good, even if it was slightly diminished.

The problem is: how to fit that regime of rest and good food into daily life at home?
Balance, I reckon. Give yourself some time off the bike and use different muscles. Go for a walk in the hills, etc. And if you're particularly busy, schedule in some down time where you just relax.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Firstly I'd say change your home diet to closer to what you were eating in SA, more fruit and veg, unprocessed meats. Reduce refined carbs.
Use biz trips as times for rest and stretching.

Top Bottom