The joy of endorphins after a ride, and your own experiences.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I enjoy the feeling when I get home. I kind of monitored the duration of the feeling last night and it was about 2 hours . I unfortunately allowed my mind to wander on to some negative stuff that is ongoing. Otherwise I think the duration of the 'good feeling' would have lasted a bit longer.

I only did 10 miles including a short hill. I did wonder if there was any difference in the effect/duration when someone cycles between 50 to 100 miles for example?

I was pondering if there was a known method to enance the feeling. ;) The 'body's reward' for taking care of it. I'm interested in how others perceive it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was pondering if there was a known method to enhance the feeling.

Yes. In your case, you need to get out for a 10 mile ride every 2 hours. :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
In my own case, it very much depends on the ride. I've had some real stinkers when I just wasn't feeling the joy; either because of the weather, the traffic, my energy levels (lack of), or the bike itself (not running smoothly or whatever). On those occasions, I get very little in the way of endorphins - and in fact the ride might put me in a worse place than when I set out!
Then you get the rides when everything is good. The endorphins can last for days......
So my conclusion is: It all depends.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I only did 10 miles including a short hill. I did wonder if there was any difference in the effect/duration when someone cycles between 50 to 100 miles for example?

It would certainly depend on your level of health and fitness. I have done 25 mile rides which left me unconscious at the roadside (due to ill health). I have done 50 mile rides which exhausted me when ridden unfit, but have left me feeling great at other times. I once cycled 140 miles from Hebden Bridge to Coventry over a lot of big hills and carrying panniers on the bike - I felt really good after that ride, but I was very fit then.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm not feeling the love these days, I'm only getting the chance of a occasional 20-30 miler and I'm seriously unfit. I miss the fitness I used to have when I was riding 2 x 50-60 mile rides most weeks and the sense of achievement I'd get from completing an event or just riding a longer distance than usual.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Why is that😮? ^_^

Errrm.....

I kind of monitored the duration of the feeling last night and it was about 2 hours

I only did 10 miles

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Out of curiosity, I’d be interested in knowing how long it takes typically for endorphins to kick in during exercise. The reason I ask is because I mentioned to my GP a few years ago that I feel less stressed during and after exercise, and he said it was the endorphins. But I’m not sure because with me the effect is almost immediate and have a suspicion that it’s more to do with the heart speeding up (from what is an exceptionally low resting heart rate).

Out of curiosity, I’d be interested in knowing how long it takes typically for endorphins to kick in during exercise. The reason I ask is because I mentioned to my GP a few years ago that I feel less stressed during and after exercise, and he said it was the endorphins. But I’m not sure because with me the effect is almost immediate and have a suspicion that it’s more to do with the heart speeding up (from what is an exceptionally low resting heart rate).

The heart is instrumental for most if not all of the body's functions. Even a steady walk will improve/relax the state of mind. (Re your relatively quick feeling). When you exercise your 'pump' moves blood carrying oxigen to the brain.

The release of endorphines by the brain is only likely to happen at a greater level of physical exertion. In the activity of running, the 'phenomenon' is called 'runner's high'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Dr Brandane
I don't think I could manage the 10 mile every 2hrs that you prescibe. Well, not continuously. You don't say how long the rest gap is between each 2hrs? Have you thought this through doc?

He is saying that if your ride makes you feel good for only 2 hours, then if you want the feeling again, you would have to do the ride again! :okay:

It may not be a realistic proposition, but it does make sense. Mind you, once you got exhausted you probably would not be getting that high any more...

Top Bottom