The joys of flat pack furniture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Mr Argos delivered my new desk and chair earlier.

Started to build the chair... One castor short. As luck would have it they were the same ones as on my old chair so wonky new chair avoided.

Build the cupboard thing, amazingly straight forward apart from those bloody invisible hinges which are annoying to adjust.

Then onto the drawers. Spent ages puzzling over the drawer runners which are different left and right. Didn't help that the left and right runners were labelled the wrong way round in the instructions.... Agh.

Also at every step the instructions say "it would be helpful to have another person assist". Not convinced.... usually a recipe for an argument!!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Oh yes the joys of argos flat pack furniture, I got a sideboard from them the drawer runners didnt fit without re-drilling all the mounting holes in a different positon and the doors took hours of readjusting to get them to hand straight.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've done even better, or worse depending on which way you look at it!!

We had an Ikea TV cabinet thingy for years and when TVs all went flat screen Mrs3BM suggested, as we'd got a new flat telly, that I should cut it in half so it wasn't so deep.
I know, sounds crazy but somehow I got roped into doing it. So I had to disassemble flat pack furniture that I had previously assembled cut all the pieces down even taking the bottom two drawers apart and cutting them down too and then put the bloody thing back together again - jeez!!

But, and this is the really annoying bit after all my moaning, it bloody well worked and it looks tons better.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
threebikesmcginty said:
But, and this is the really annoying bit after all my moaning, it bloody well worked and it looks tons better.

I hope you denied this! Never let them know that their idea's are great ones as you will never hear the end of it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I got one of those steel framed bunk beds with a desk and a futon under it to go in Cubester's bedroom. It was too big when assembled to go through the door, and the room wasn't quite big enough to build it and turn it round. When I got almost to the end I realised I had to take it all apart again and rebuild the matress base. It has gone down in history as the most sworn at piece of furniture of all time.;)

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Reminds me of when me parents bought bunk beds for my brother and I... Old beds were hoofed out. Flat pack bunks conveyed from Texas DIY on the roof of Austin Allegro... Dad starts unpacking the box, mom starts reading the instructions. "Leave them alone" says me dad, "just work through it from the first page". "OK" says mother and lets him get on with it his way. Bunk bed completed, he turns over to the last page which says......"let glue set for 24 hours"...!!!

Cubist said:
I got one of those steel framed bunk beds with a desk and a futon under it to go in Cubester's bedroom. It was too big when assembled to go through the door, and the room wasn't quite big enough to build it and turn it round. When I got almost to the end I realised I had to take it all apart again and rebuild the matress base. It has gone down in history as the most sworn at piece of furniture of all time.;)

domd1979 said:
Reminds me of when me parents bought bunk beds for my brother and I... Old beds were hoofed out. Flat pack bunks conveyed from Texas DIY on the roof of Austin Allegro... Dad starts unpacking the box, mom starts reading the instructions. "Leave them alone" says me dad, "just work through it from the first page". "OK" says mother and lets him get on with it his way. Bunk bed completed, he turns over to the last page which says......"let glue set for 24 hours"...!!!

most of my furniture is meant to have been glued, but it happily exists without glue since I've not lived anywhere that I thought I might stay for more than a year or so.

most flat pack furniture bought by my family gets bodged. the MFI cupboards in my mum's kitchen are 25 years old and have been braced and the covering and handles glued back on but still giving loyal service.

Top Bottom