The justice league of camera cyclist ride out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks. I take it from your repeated inability to answer a straight forward question that you're continuing to insist the driver gave the the cyclist plenty of room. If that is the case, I hope you are in a minority of one on this forum.
No the first pass was too close no question and I certainly did not refer to that as him having 'plenty of room'...................................... but Trafficdweebs further actions provoked the cabbie into an incident in which poor Dweeb was bound to come off worse and as for then leaning on the vehicle. :crazy:

Origamist

Legendary Member
The first pass is too close, close enough that Droid feels the need to sound his horn, which to me is confrontational and aggravates the situation but there you go. So at this point, we have identified that the taxi driver is aggressive and prone to making close passes. So what does Droid do? Makes an undertaking manouvre, further antagonising the taxi driver and putting someone known for dangerous close passes behind him again, inviting another close pass!

At the point where I had identified the dangerous driver, I would have ensured he was driving nowhere near me, and certainly not behind me. And I wouldn't have wound him up by parping my horn and then swerving round the front of his car.

Unusually, SOTW does the opposite of what I would have expected - he does not stop to confront the driver, but tries to go on his way and ignore the incident. If he'd hung around and got in a fist fight or had exchanged pleasantries for 2 minutes with the driver I can imagine the response on this forum. He can't win.

Drago

Legendary Member
As much as I think the TD is a very poor cyclist, no way does he deserve to be run off the road deliberately by that taxi driver. Because that's what it was... deliberate.

I agree, he doesn't deserve it. Nevertheless, he brought the situation about by his own actions.

To go back to road rage for a moment, no one deserves to be stabbed but if you choose to place yourself face to face with a slavering loon then you're creating the opportunity.

I, and many of my CC Brothers and Sisters, ride the road in heavy urban traffic, much the same way the Dwoid does. Yet we ride with care, skill and circumspection, and while there may be the occasional brown Y fronts moment we generally don't suffer with being deliberately rammed off our bikes because we don't spend our days behaving in a manner intended to get peoples backs up. Like it or not drivers are only human, and pi** enough of them off you'll inevitably meet the psychopath with no inhibitions.

The difference between being righteous and being alive.

Origamist

Legendary Member
No the first pass was too close no question and I certainly did not refer to that as him having 'plenty of room'...................................... but Trafficdweebs further actions provoked the cabbie into an incident in which poor Dweeb was bound to come off worse and as for then leaning on the vehicle. :crazy:

I never sugguested you did. I have consistently referred to the second attempted pass where he is knocked off! I even supplied you with a frame grab showing the cab less than a foot from the cyclist.

PK99

Legendary Member
A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q406.htm

Don’t use your horn to vent frustration
Your horn is not a way for you to tell another driver you don’t like their driving. If someone’s driving creates an ongoing danger, call the police. Never lay on your horn out of frustration with another driver.

Many instances of road rage begin with aggressive horn honking. You never know another driver’s state of mind, the kind of day they’re having, or how they’ll react to your blaring horn. Your safety is the top priority, so be calm when driving. If you must honk your horn at someone, do it lightly. Also, do not yell, mouth words, or use hand gestures to show your anger.
http://www.driversedguru.com/driving-articles/drivers-ed-extras/horn-etiquette/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I agree, he doesn't deserve it. Nevertheless, he brought the situation about by his own actions.

To go back to road rage for a moment, no one deserves to be stabbed but if you choose to place yourself face to face with a slavering loon then you're creating the opportunity.

I, and many of my CC Brothers and Sisters, ride the road in heavy urban traffic, much the same way the Dwoid does. Yet we ride with care, skill and circumspection, and while there may be the occasional brown Y fronts moment we generally don't suffer with being deliberately rammed off our bikes because we don't spend our days behaving in a manner intended to get peoples backs up. Like it or not drivers are only human, and pi** enough of them off you'll inevitably meet the psychopath with no inhibitions.

The difference between being righteous and being alive.

The Taxi driver is a 'professional driver'. His conduct falls well below that of what is expected from his profession. That driver would have done the same to any cyclist, not just Trafficdroid.
And please give up with all the stabbing nonsense.

Drago

Legendary Member
In my humble experience, if you really want to annoy a twot when out on the road then the most infuriating thing you can do is completely ignore them.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
In my humble experience, if you really want to annoy a twot when out on the road then the most infuriating thing you can do is completely ignore them.
So if you really want to not annoy a psycho that is almost certain to stab you, you should scream and shout and gesticulate at them and honk your horn if you have one, that would be the safest course of action?

Origamist

Legendary Member
So if you really want to not annoy a psycho that is almost certain to stab you, you should scream and shout and gesticulate at them and honk your horn if you have one, that would be the safest course of action?

People are quite prepared to twist their reasoning into knots in order to discredit SOTW.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Taxi driver is a 'professional driver'. His conduct falls well below that of what is expected from his profession. That driver would have done the same to any cyclist, not just Trafficdroid.
And please give up with all the stabbing nonsense.

Absolutely, the driver was bang out of line and I never intimated otherwise. Nevertheless, Dwoid nrpugh the situation to a head with his own behaviour. I'm not interested in right or wrong when I'm on my bike - I'm interested in completing each journey alive and uninjured. For all the talk of road safety that Dwoid peddles he clearly doesn't believe it, cos safety is about being alive and unharmed and his actions are all too often contrary to that end.

And as for stabbings. Well, our puny little force area has about 1/20th the population of Greater London spread out across a largely rural county with one large town and several small ones, and we still get 8-10 violent road rage incident reported daily, many of which involve the use of weapons ranging from crook locks though swords up to firearms. You may recall Donald Lock, who was stabbed to death just recently. Its horrendous, and such violence is widespread and holds the potential for huge levels of unpleasantness at best and heartache at worst. So, whether I have you blessing not, when someone suggests they're a bit 'ard and would stop to chin the driver I will continue to urge them not to. Every single driver is armed with at least a tonne of deadly weapon, so you're on a loser before you even get started.

If you think something positive can ever come from confrontation , or that my exhorting my compadres to protect their safety by avoiding confrontation is somehow a bad thing, then feel free to block my user name. I don't need your permission , I don't want to see anyone hurt or worse when it could be avoided, and I won't ever stop saying it.

Which can lead to a sudden outbreak of violence as well. Any response to an aggressive driver can lead to an escalation, even doing nothing and calmly carrying on. I find much of the stress of such situations is in gauging how best to respond. Ignore, smile, scream in fear, aggressively confront - each of these could be the button that explodes or defuses the situation. Quite often a cyclist is put in a situation where they can't win.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
In my experience both in the Car and on my Bike the more I ignore the aggressor the more it escalates as they think I am scared and they are bullies so thinking I am scared gives them the opportunity to carry on massaging their ego, until such time as I have had enough and the red mist descends.

Top Bottom