The justice league of camera cyclist ride out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The first pass is too close, close enough that Droid feels the need to sound his horn, which to me is confrontational and aggravates the situation but there you go. So at this point, we have identified that the taxi driver is aggressive and prone to making close passes. So what does Droid do? Makes an undertaking manouvre, further antagonising the taxi driver and putting someone known for dangerous close passes behind him again, inviting another close pass!

At the point where I had identified the dangerous driver, I would have ensured he was driving nowhere near me, and certainly not behind me. And I wouldn't have wound him up by parping my horn and then swerving round the front of his car.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The first pass is too close, close enough that Droid feels the need to sound his horn, which to me is confrontational and aggravates the situation but there you go. So at this point, we have identified that the taxi driver is aggressive and prone to making close passes. So what does Droid do? Makes an undertaking manouvre, further antagonising the taxi driver and putting someone known for dangerous close passes behind him again, inviting another close pass!

At the point where I had identified the dangerous driver, I would have ensured he was driving nowhere near me, and certainly not behind me. And I wouldn't have wound him up by parping my horn and then swerving round the front of his car.
I assume he decided he didn't want to hang around and talk to a taxi driver who had just decided to brake abruptly in front of him, you don't tend to get nice invites to come and partake in a cup of tea and a natter after that. I suspect I'd want to leave the scene too!

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps historically, but this video was not posted by the "Justice League" on CycleChat.

Because most of us on here can see how they get cyclists a bad name, and aren't afraid to tell them.

This pair completely negate - and then some - the good work that the likes BC, CTC, the various talking heads like Boredman etc in reasonably presenting our case and sensibly raising our profile.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I assume he decided he didn't want to hang around and talk to a taxi driver who had just decided to brake abruptly in front of him, you don't tend to get nice invites to come and partake in a cup of tea and a natter after that. I suspect I'd want to leave the scene too!
He's a vigilante, he's not supposed to run away!

ETA: Anyway, he initiated the conversation by parping his horn, and he's not exactly been shy of confronting people in the past. It's sort of his Raison d'Etre.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Quite, and then to ride right out in the road suggests monumental stupidity on Trafficdweebs part, or a desire to get footage of the taxidrivers further reaction (which I'd have thought was fairly predictable)

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Door zone
Hmmm lets see now ride in door zone for the few seconds of the pass or take on a taxi on my bike with my only shield my array of video equipment. No brainer really.

I don't understand why in all these videos the cyclist pokes the wasps nest and then runs off. Or worse still gets in front of the offender allowing them the opportunity to repeat. Even if the cabbie gets out and lumps him one he would have just about every conceivable angle covered in glorious HD.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What I am reading here is that, faced with any level of intimidation, what we should do is reward that by acquiescence. Have I got that right or wrong?
I personally would have waited for the taxi driver to get out of his vehicle............................Then chinned him but that's just me.

Drago

Legendary Member
I personally would have waited for the taxi driver to get out of his vehicle............................Then got stabbed by the irate motorist.

FTFY.

Drago

Legendary Member
When you've been to a cyclist stabbed stabbed by a motorist and used your fleece to try and stem the bleeding, then maybe you'll see how pathetic at best, futile at worst becoming involved in a confrontation with a motorist is.

When a friend of your daughters has seen their father die during a road rage incident, maybe you'll see how ridiculous such behaviour is.

Childish, infantile, pointless behaviour which gains the participants no benefit or advantage whatsoever at best, and can leave them sitting a cloud playing a harp at worst. If you think that's big or clever then you be my guest and carry right on.

I've got more size and skills than most to back up my gob in a confrontation, and I still wouldn't bother.

PK99

Legendary Member
I, for one, would have used my brakes in that situation.

From Droid's Selfie cam in other videos, he only ever seems to use the RH brake lever and his horn button is on the RH STI shifter effectively forcing a choice between brake and horn - he often prioritises horn over brake.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Where is that video filmed from the taxi of the cyclist coming unstuck in the door zone?
Sorry if it sounds stupid to you or TrafficDroid but my risk calculation at the time of an event like that would be the door zone whilst slowing and stopping and then in all likelihood I would chase the Taxi down.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Nice screen grab, it shows exactly what I stated that trafficdweeb is blatantly about to lean on the taxi despite having 5-6ft of room on the inside.
If he plans on having an argument with 2 tonnes of metal driven by an irate nobber (better known as a London cabbie) he'd be better off not being on a cycle.
I return to my original statement that they're both idiots and Trafficdweebs actions meant him hitting the deck was inevitable.

Thanks. I take it from your repeated inability to answer a straight forward question that you're continuing to insist the driver gave the the cyclist plenty of room. If that is the case, I hope you are in a minority of one on this forum.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Because most of us on here can see how they get cyclists a bad name, and aren't afraid to tell them.

This pair completely negate - and then some - the good work that the likes BC, CTC, the various talking heads like Boredman etc in reasonably presenting our case and sensibly raising our profile.

I'd agree that some of the "Justice League's" (I even wince when I type that) productions are not helping the cause of cycle campaigning or reducing road danger. However, in this case, (and by your own statement up-thread) you seem to be of the view that this was not SOTW's fault?

FWIW, this is a classic case of boy cries wolf and I can understand some of the skepticism, but a number of people on this thread seem to be blinded to some appalling driving in the video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom