The Last Vulcan Flight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why has it been grounded?

Speak up.... I can't hear you.... too noisy, you say?

byegad

Legendary Member
Apparently the firms supporting the engines have withdrawn support 'due to lack of qualified personnel'. Without them being willing to pass on the relevant documentation to a firm willing to do the work there will be no way the Vulcan can get airworthiness clearance.

Glenn

Veteran
article-1223538-00834EFE00000258-552_634x316.jpg

I used to maintain the Mighty Hunters navigation and auto-pilot systems. Both Yorkshire Air Museum and Coventry Air Museum both have examples that they plan to be able to fast taxi

andyfraser

Über Member
I managed to see the Vulcan last year. I think it's the last of my childhood favourites that was still flying. The others were the Victor and the Jaguar but most of all the F-4 Phantom and my all time favourite the English Electric Lightning.

I remember a particularly wet show at RAF Abingdon in the 80s. We sheltered under a Vulcan between displays.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The companies who do the engine maintanence have pulled the plug

Also, engines are the big consumable, and basically they have used them all up. No more serviceable engines = end of an era.

Rooster1

Also, engines are the big consumable, and basically they have used them all up. No more serviceable engines = end of an era.

Site says nothing about the engines. Without wanting to sound like a total arse, I am fairly sure there are no more engines they can use. But I may be wrong.

Rooster1

What is annoying is, they say goto website for final flight info, then it says we are finalising the flight plans, so no info, and all the while they say to stay clear of trying to sneak a peak at the base. Will keep an eye on the twitter feed. I have to see this bird one more time.

TVC

It flew over our house the other day. What an enexpected treat. I saw the last flight of the Concord over Brizzol - from Windmill Hill, that was unforgettable.
Someone will most likely link to it, but I believe there is a group trying to get a Concorde airborne again, I understand they have enough money so far to buy an aircraft, though that is a fraction of what it will cost to get it certified and maintain it flying.

Drago

Legendary Member
All the 1950s V bombers were amazing leaps in technology...seems scarcly believable that Britain could rival and in many ways beat the yanks and Russians
In my opinion the HP Victor looks even better and more futuristic than the Vulcan

View attachment 105846

View attachment 105847

View attachment 105848

Roger that, the Victor looked like some kind of beast unleashed by. the devil. If Operation Black Buck had been able to use Victors instead of Vulcans the Argentinians wouldnt merely have soiled themselves - they've have gone running straight home.

Top Bottom