The Last Vulcan Flight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went down to Finningley when it took off for the last 'farewell tour'. back in June

I was on the lane to Austerfield, by the southern end of the runway, it could be seen along the full-length
When It took, it just disappeared, no gently gaining height^_^

Attachments

• DSCF0602.JPG
    DSCF0602.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0604.JPG
    DSCF0604.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0605.JPG
    DSCF0605.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0606.JPG
    DSCF0606.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0607.JPG
    DSCF0607.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0611.JPG
    DSCF0611.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 49
I would suggest going on to the website and signing up for the email newsletter. They are promising that Friday's edition will have timing information.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/newsletter-sign-up.html
Done - many thx.

I remember watching them take off from Waddington when I was about 5 or 6 - so about 1961. I'm from the Fens, so used to the RAF aircraft. Was lucky enough to see Thumper (aka City of Lincoln) and (Canadian) Vera in the air together last year too, landing at Bournemouth.

Just off to fly my 10ft wingspan Auster with my 3 yo grandson, over from Canada. Once he's got up!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I lived in Malta from 1974-1978, and Vulcans often came into RAF Luqa. If I was really lucky I'd be sitting at the end of the runway as they roared overhead.
Sadly I also saw the smoke from this accident from school one day...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm fascinated by the request to keep your distance.

Now, if I do get to see it, I'll be on the ground.If it does fly very close to me, I hope that it will keep its distance from the ground, where I am, and if it doesn't, then I think its got bigger problems than me being too close.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
[QUOTE 3942791, member: 45"]On 16 September 1960, Vulcan B.2 XH557 damaged the "Runway Garage" at Filton. XH557 had been allocated to Bristol Siddeley Engines to test the Olympus 301 engine and was being delivered to Filton. Approaching in poor weather conditions, the aircraft touched down halfway along the runway. The braking parachute was streamed but realising the aircraft would not stop in time, the captain opened the throttles to go round. The Runway Garage took the full force of the jet blast and property damage was sustained: four petrol pumps were blown flat, a street light on the A38 was knocked down, railings were blown over, and multiple cars had their windscreens shattered. The aircraft diverted to St. Mawgan, flying into Filton days later.

Corrrrr....[/QUOTE]

My father recalled a number of incidents involving Vulcans in the 60's, mostly ones not making it back to base. I will have to ask him for specifics.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Route is up. No North Wales flypast. Booo

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
The northern route looks like it is intended to provide entertainment for MoD/RAF bases and Rolls Royce sites. Why else would Barnoldswick and Menwith Hill be on the schedule? Surely many more people could watch if they were to fly over cities.

Top Bottom