The little darlings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You did the right thing fossy, for lots of reasons, including your own enjoyment and peace of mind but do report it, helps the police build a picture of anti social trends.

Katherine

Guru
Mod note.

Some strong and varied opinions on here and personal points given.

Please leave out any further personal attacks.
Thanks.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My preferred style is to speak with the teenagers. Many times I've come across groups who seem intimidating but I find a laugh and a joke always gets a pleasant reaction. This includes several occasions cycling through Chorlton Water Park late at night with groups who were obviously tanked up.
Just yesterday I came across a large group of loud, rowdy, boisterous teenagers and spent several minutes having a laugh and a joke with them.
(Not commenting on the OP's situation, as I wasn't there).

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The thing with teenagers is that they are brave only as part of a group. On their own, they are no trouble. I see it all the time in the classroom when they will be a complete pain in the arse in front of their mates but when I see one of them in town, on his own, he is as sweet as pie.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sometimes diversion tactics can work. When my Dad was a 16 stone PS he had to arrest a young lad for fighting, his tactic was to say "come quietly, you wouldn't want me to tickle you in front of all your mates, would you?"

Shouting "CHEESE, GROMMIT?" or something similar is sometimes a good tactic.

Tin Pot

Guru
“Won’t somebody think of the children!”

It’s not exactly nice being the victim of random acts of violence, the fact that it’s three or four teenagers rather than three or four middle aged men is not entirely insignificant. But let’s not be naive.

While the punches are landing on your skull, jaw, eyes...you can still be wondering what a proportionate response is - as I have - but carrying out that judgement while fighting them off is another thing. If you’ve not been in many street fights, perhaps it’s not obvious but is very much a case of taking the opportunities that present themselves rather than calmly selecting a series of actions.

I understand that police officers get better training in remaining objective during violence, but for your average man on the street it’s quite alarming.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The type of minor who hits an adult for fun is not going to respond to a talking to. Self defense is self defense no matter the size or age of the person, but I'd certainly not lay my hand on a minor unless I thought my safety was in immediate danger.

A friends' son (10) was attacked in a play park a few weeks ago by what looked to be a 7 and a 10 year old. He was held and repeatedly punched until the adults ran over to stop it. On doing so, the 10 year old started verbally abusing the mums and kicked one of them. I don't know how I would have reacted - but shame on the adults for not reporting it to police. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I don't believe anyone has said otherwise... but that doesn't mean putting them in hospital or leaving them "defecating teeth", does it?

I don't think anyone suggested going out and assaulting children unprovoked either.

The level of violence needed in defending yourself will depend on that being dished out by the attackers, so one or more of them ending up in hospital is entirely possible.

road-warrior_1280x720.jpg

Julia9054

Guru
I don't believe anyone has said otherwise... but that doesn't mean putting them in hospital or leaving them "defecating teeth", does it?
To be fair, it is a normal reaction for anyone who has been in a violent situation where they have felt powerless for whatever reason to go though "I could have done this/said that" afterwards. If it was me, I would be pretty bloody angry too. Doesn't mean that someone saying that would actually do these things. This forum is a place to vent frustration and get some sympathy for what must have been a horrible situation.
@fossyant +1 for report it to the police.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I didn't comment on fossyant's post. I was commenting about the dick-swinging posturing by certain other posters.

I do wonder how teachers, social workers, health care staff and all the other who deal with violent and disruptive children on a daily basis manage to do so without routinely hospitalising them.... :rolleyes:

Presumably because the level of violence involved doesn't require a sufficiently violent response to have that result, or they are not being punched in the head while outnumbered and alone on a canal path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom