The Little Run About Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've just acquired a little run about. My son's car is off the road (blown the engine) and my daughter is thinking about learning to drive. The intention is to let my son use the car for work (saves us the extra commuting and more higher fuel use) and then teach daughter in it, as well as possibly use it ourselves for commuting as the fuel costs will be tiny.

We've just got a little 60 plate Aygo 'Blue' for all of £2k. Insurance with two youngsters is about £700, tax just £20 p.a. Plan is to keep it for a while, and see what my daughter want's to do once she eventually passes her test. It's having a scrape on the bumper fixed, but otherwise it's in very good condition. Should be ready to collect Tuesday.

Oh and you can get a bike in the back !!

CXRAndy

Guru
I was watching a small dealer on YouTube. He was selling the Toyota and Hyundai's little cars like hot cakes. He couldn't get them fast enough. He was buying the minor category write-offs, doing the necessary repairs. People were putting down deposit for the car before it was repaired

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I was watching a small dealer on YouTube. He was selling the Toyota and Hyundai's little cars like hot cakes. He couldn't get them fast enough. He was buying the minor category write-offs, doing the necessary repairs. People were putting down deposit for the car before it was repaired

Our local car place did a review of them (warts and all) on you-tube (Peak Autos) and he says he tries to have a few in stock - Ideal for young drivers/low insurance. This dealer was near the Trafford Centre and he had about 5 in stock. They are cheap and basic, but have a really good reliability record. The MOT history on this is fine, and felt nice and light to drive.

It won't pull the skin off custard, but it's a city car. Ultra low emissions too. Should be able to sell on in a year or so for next to no loss.

It's got extra speakers, leccy windows, blue tooth connectivity and air con - it's enough, oh and, most importantly an aux socket as my 'young adults' don't listen to CD's or the radio. I think the bluetooth is phone only as the controls are added up near the mirror - it's a Toyota extra for this 'model'.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nice one. We had to switch our i10 as the head gasket went & it was problematic after the fix, just got a 17 reg Fabia 1.0. A bit more spendy than we wanted, but the market for smaller cars has gone nuts and it should last us a very long time.

My son will be looking for something later to take his fishing gear, we don't think an Aygo will be big enough for his needs, sadly.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Nice one. We had to switch our i10 as the head gasket went & it was problematic after the fix, just got a 17 reg Fabia 1.0. A bit more spendy than we wanted, but the market for smaller cars has gone nuts and it should last us a very long time.

My son will be looking for something later to take his fishing gear, we don't think an Aygo will be big enough for his needs, sadly.

They are tiny, but actually didn't feel to bad - I drive a big saloon. Yaris's are pretty practical - just that bit bigger, and cheap to run - we kept our Mk1 Yaris for 19 years from new, and it's still driving about locally after 22 years.

I can see us nabbing this to commute to work - 9 miles sat bumper to bumper.

My nephew is a very keen fisherman. If he's not at work, he's mostly likely to be fishing. He doesn't earn a fortune, so he likes sensible little cars. But he has all the carp catching gear, tent, bedchair and so on. He had a kia picanto, but it was challenging to get him and all his fishing gear aboard. He now has a Dacia Sandero Stepway and is very pleased with it, both from the running costs point of view and as a fishing gear hauler....

midlife

Guru
Got rid of the Evoque and was looking for an EV but bought a 2014 Ford Ka zetec in black like the silver one below.

Easy to drive and lost the desire to tear around at any sort of great speed. Cheap as chips to buy, run and insure (16 year old lad having lessons next year). might get an EV when they get as cheap as an ICE car which according to HM Govt is 5-7 years....

IMG_2951-large.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My nephew is a very keen fisherman. If he's not at work, he's mostly likely to be fishing. He doesn't earn a fortune, so he likes sensible little cars. But he has all the carp catching gear, tent, bedchair and so on. He had a kia picanto, but it was challenging to get him and all his fishing gear aboard. He now has a Dacia Sandero Stepway and is very pleased with it, both from the running costs point of view and as a fishing gear hauler....
Nice one, I think we may look at a Polo or Fabia for our lad, as he's only 18 - we will check out the Sanderos too - but I can see a Picanto would be difficult!

D

Deleted member 1258

We've just acquired a little run about. My son's car is off the road (blown the engine) and my daughter is thinking about learning to drive. The intention is to let my son use the car for work (saves us the extra commuting and more higher fuel use) and then teach daughter in it, as well as possibly use it ourselves for commuting as the fuel costs will be tiny.

We've just got a little 60 plate Aygo 'Blue' for all of £2k. Insurance with two youngsters is about £700, tax just £20 p.a. Plan is to keep it for a while, and see what my daughter want's to do once she eventually passes her test. It's having a scrape on the bumper fixed, but otherwise it's in very good condition. Should be ready to collect Tuesday.

Oh and you can get a bike in the back !!

View attachment 618411

That looks nice, we were looking at a Yaris a few years ago but ended up buying a Suzuki Swift.

We've had it since 2017 and its 10 year old now, cheap to run, £30 a year to tax, 45-50 mpg and about £30 a month for insurance, its reliable and I can get my bike in the back with the front wheel out.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Just looking at a Jimmy as a first car for my oldest. He 'requires' a 4x4 for some reason :whistle:
They are fetching a good price aren't they (Jimmys) . This one was £1k less than the others as it's done 90k, the others were 50k. Checked the MOT's and it did the miles in the first 4-5 years.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
One of our daughters has a 12 reg Citroen C1 and loves it. She has had it for 2 years now and trouble free. She is a carer so the car is used every day and has never let her down. Good on fuel too and cheap road tax.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

One of our daughters has a 12 reg Citroen C1 and loves it. She has had it for 2 years now and trouble free. She is a carer so the car is used every day and has never let her down. Good on fuel too and cheap road tax.

All the same car, and share most parts - dead cheap. The boot can apparently leak via the seals for the glass boot wndow., this one is dry

Drago

Legendary Member
I had my little Smart cabro. Ran on fresh air, a cinch to park, free road tax, less than £100 fully comp. I loved it. Just for occasional bimbling at minimal cost and minimal social and environmental impact it was perfect. It left me when I went carless in 2019 and I gave it to my niece who has cerbral palsy and can only drive an auto - a nice little 18th birthday pressie from her Unkie Drago.

Now my XC90 has taken over as my nice little runaround :laugh:

Top Bottom