The Little Run About Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wonder how much a cheapish set of alloy wheels would be?

About £50 sheets each plus £50 a tyre. Son works for an alloy wheel company. Quite glad they are steel wheels as Toyota Alloys corrode easily.

Bump stops sealed for the rear boot window (they allow water in) and rear lights popped off and an additional rubber seal put round the wiring apeture as there was evidence of rain getting past the apeture seal on the light units - All documented leaks TBH on all the cars.

Discs and pads on order.

KneesUp

Guru
We've just acquired a little run about. My son's car is off the road (blown the engine) and my daughter is thinking about learning to drive. The intention is to let my son use the car for work (saves us the extra commuting and more higher fuel use) and then teach daughter in it, as well as possibly use it ourselves for commuting as the fuel costs will be tiny.

We've just got a little 60 plate Aygo 'Blue' for all of £2k. Insurance with two youngsters is about £700, tax just £20 p.a. Plan is to keep it for a while, and see what my daughter want's to do once she eventually passes her test. It's having a scrape on the bumper fixed, but otherwise it's in very good condition. Should be ready to collect Tuesday.

Oh and you can get a bike in the back !!

View attachment 618411
Nice. We have the Citroen version of the same age in ‘2cv for the 21st century’ spec. It has windy windows :-). In a reflection of how nuts secondhand cars have gone, we bought ours just before the lockdown and paid £1200. £2k sounds a good price now - the Toyotas are always more because of the reputation they have. Took ours in for a once over when we got it because it was hella loud - thought maybe it had a bad bearing. Mechanic gave it the once over and just said that all C1s are loud. It’s a hoot around town. Ours does very low mileage and wears winter tyres all year.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Nice. We have the Citroen version of the same age in ‘2cv for the 21st century’ spec. It has windy windows :-). In a reflection of how nuts secondhand cars have gone, we bought ours just before the lockdown and paid £1200. £2k sounds a good price now - the Toyotas are always more because of the reputation they have. Took ours in for a once over when we got it because it was hella loud - thought maybe it had a bad bearing. Mechanic gave it the once over and just said that all C1s are loud. It’s a hoot around town. Ours does very low mileage and wears winter tyres all year.

They are loud - mats and the boot foam pads have quietened it down. Thing is, all the parts are cheap as chips. We paid £2k, but all the others, same age, but lower miles were £3k. Used Yaris is even more silly money.

You'll get a good price if you ever sell.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Finally its not been hissing it down on an evening. Got two additional LED work lights for £11 each (floor standing ones).

Son back from work, so out I went.

I knew the discs were bad but the pads were a mess, especially drivers side (photos to follow).

This is drivers sude, only 2/3rds 'braking' and not a good polished look..

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

New set of discs and pads acquired for £38... :ohmy:

Can't get pads for one wheel for that on our other cars.:crazy:

Other side fitted (was too busy fitting stuff and covered in gunk to get the phone out earlier.

More waxoyl then hammerited the callipers after rust treating them last week .

I'll post the state of the pads tomorrow. Driver's side was nearly none existent.

Just shows you folk pay absolutely no attention to brakes and tyres and anything else. This car has an exemplary MOT history... brakes worked perfectly, but my god, they weren't braking properly., and given disc corrosion, haven't done for years, but passed MOT with no advisory...

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Took a couple of hours, including getting tools out, and tidying up and struggling to get off the floor :laugh:

I also cleaned up and painted the callipers in that time and some squirts of waxoyl on the sub frame.

Quite surprised how bad the pads were, but it's something you factor in buying an older run about. My old 20 year old Nissan is very different underneath, but I've had it 19 of those years.

Other than that, the bodywork is great, etc. Just very surprised how crusty the brakes were. Mine look like new on my old car.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

PS its a young mans job crawling under a car, or anyone who hasn't broken their spine. Said household 21 year old didn't help, although I can't work with him well as he spends too much time on the smart phone and not spannering.:whistle:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Well, it's taken a month and son has buggered it up.

He's now got the delight of a 3-4 hour return commute via public transport. :laugh: We're not dropping him off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Fixed, £696 lighter. Cat and Manifold £240, exhaust £220 and two lambda sensors £200 and gaskets/brackets.

The weld on the cat where the exhaust attaches had come away - probaby a mix of age and too many Italian Tune Ups. !

The car is much quieter though, suggesting the baffles in the back box were on the way out.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

No further issues with the car. Always a risk with any second hand car, especially a cheap 10 year old one.

Precautionary run round with sealant on the rear hatch rubbers, doubled up on the rubber strips round the rear light electrical panel hole, and sealed round the high level brake light. Boot is dry. It's a known area for water to get in on the 107, C1 and Aygo, as the car ages and rubbers start to 'age' and loose their sealing.

Changed to plugs and air filter as I didn't know when they's been done. Plugs looked fine, but the gap was more like 3mm and not 1.1mm although it ran fine. Air filter dirty. Less than £20 for these bits. Popped the extra foam panels I'd bought for the boot floor into the bottom of the spare tyre well, and that's reduced road noise even further - these cars aren't very sound proofed for 'weight and cost'.

Pollen filter checked and given a good hoover - looked fine, but debris hoovered out.

Touching 'wood' there should be nothing else to do to this now. :whistle:

Top Bottom