The Logan's Run thread (and other 70's SciFi....)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Battlestar Galactica in the 70s was cheesey but the recent remake was pretty good.
Does Planet of the Apes count as sci-fi?

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Quatermass & The Pit??

That film freaked me out, as a kid, as did 'Night Of The Demon'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit_(film)

A line of it was sampled, for 'Hounds Of Love' (Kate Bush)

Yes, these are two of my favourites!.

perplexed

Guru
Day of the triffods was in the 70's as well i think. Another classic. :laugh:

I loved 'The Day of the Triffids' with John Duttine - I'm just half way through re-reading it at the moment. It's obviously dated, but still stands as an excellent story.

When was the Tripods? Must google :smile:

Again, another telly program I really enjoyed at the time.

Sadly, one of the things that I remember standing out about this series is that an actor who played one of the main characters was killed in an RTC partway through filming. Think she was only about 20.

Edit: It was Charlotte Long, playing Eloise de Ricordeau

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
RE-imagine, Re-interpter, Re-boot and any other similar description translates as "I have no imagination, so I am going butcher a good film in the hopes that the piece of ordure that I produce will fool enough people who liked the original to cover the costs'
Without reboots, remakes, what-ever, we'd never have had Carpenter's "The Thing", the Westworld & Fargo tv series, among others. There's also the fact that society moves on - as an example, there are new things for a story like "Robocop" to say now that the corporate control the original imagined is closer/here (dependent upon whom you ask) and in the context of drone warfare in "low level" conflicts. (A shame that the remake didn't lean harder in that direction).

perplexed

Guru
Didn't they all get blinded by watching the meteor shower come to earth first?

Summat like that.The majority of the world's population being blinded by celestial lights (caused by the 'trail' of millions of Triffid seeds being released into the atmosphere from a shot down aircraft?) and the subsequent break down of society/infrastructure/authority etc. etc. as we know it leads to the position where the Triffids can dominate.

Tim Hall

Summat like that.The majority of the world's population being blinded by celestial lights (caused by the 'trail' of millions of Triffid seeds being released into the atmosphere from a shot down aircraft?) and the subsequent break down of society/infrastructure/authority etc. etc. as we know it leads to the position where the Triffids can dominate.
The Triffid seed plane getting show down comes many years before everyone is struck blind.

The radio adaptation of the book, and I'm guessing the book too) suggests the blindness might have been caused by WMD-type satellites orbiting the earth. The "plague" that killed lots of people post blindness day was suggested to come from the same WMD source.

I've got the radio adaption, the John Duttine TV version and the Eddie Izzard TV (see what I did there?) version as downloads.

AndyRM

XOXO
Without reboots, remakes, what-ever, we'd never have had Carpenter's "The Thing", the Westworld & Fargo tv series, among others. There's also the fact that society moves on - as an example, there are new things for a story like "Robocop" to say now that the corporate control the original imagined is closer/here (dependent upon whom you ask) and in the context of drone warfare in "low level" conflicts. (A shame that the remake didn't lean harder in that direction).

This. There are loads of good ones out there, once you get past the endless re-cycling of Spiderman.

That's probably more for the film thread than this one though.

Top Bottom