The Logan's Run thread (and other 70's SciFi....)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon the viking
!968 is surely close enough to the 70s

A worthy film.... but sorry cut off dates is 01/01/70 to 31/12/1979 and as O.P...... Its my ball :tongue:

Of course the "in joke" (allegedly) was "ORAC"

orac.jpg

Supposedly named after the Pseudo Scientific Orgone Accumulator

Also popular with Hawkwind

OP
OP
simon the viking
With regard to Blake's 7 .... Why do the doors in the first couple of episodes (when Blake is still on earth) make a 'Star Trek' SSSSHHHHHH sliding door noise, when they are on hinges and opened manually using a handle.... Just asking:whistle:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I don't think I ever watched an episode of Sapphire & Steel. I just remembered the intro. They had a funny definition of element. Sapphire and steel aren't elements. Neither are jet or diamond, which would both be carbon if they were anything. I don't think this was a hard science SF series.

Also, they can't use the transuranic elements, presumably because they are radioactive, but radium is available? It makes no sense.

Last edited:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Great memory trip and worth repeating the names, Jenny Agutter, Logans Run, Walkabout and American Werewolf in London.........helps my ageing mind visualise

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When was the Tripods? Must google :smile:
a couple of years ago for me... starts out well, gets worse. :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
UFO used to enthrall me, particually when they managed to recover or capture an alien who IIRC used to have liquid oxygen circulating in their space suits / helmets. The scenes as they removed the helmets and the alien would splutter and gasp were well thought out and very effective. I can't remember if the alien always dies at this point.
Have I got this right ?...or am I mixing my scenes and series up.

Drago

Legendary Member
Day of the triffods was in the 70's as well i think. Another classic. :laugh:

1950s for the dreadful Howard Keel film, early Eighties for the John Duttine TV series. Cracking book though.

So many classics from the seventies. Close Encounters, Star Wars, Silent Running. Silent Running, as aforementioned, is a brilliant film bit also very interesting. As we know, the sets for the living quarters, control room, and giant storage hold were filmed on the decommissioned USS Valley Forge, which was scrapped shortly after the film. Also of interest is Douglas Trumbull, who had worked on the visual effects for 2001 and used his experience to film the spaceship and planet scenes for the film

Then there was Dark Star. Not my cup of dried leaves in hot water, but a classic nevertheless.

The Man Who Fell To Earth. Weird.

Westworld. Brilliant, an early predictor of the computer virus.

Alien. Stunning sci fi horror that defined a sub genre.

A Clockwork Orange, set in alternative near future. Marmite, though I love it myself.

THX1138, Future world, Solaris, The Black Hole, Star Trek, The Andromeda Strain...

Capricorn One, which started the mania for Apollo conspiracy theories.

And my favourite Charlton Heston fillum of all time, the Omega Man. The last normal bloke left alive in a world of zombie like creatures, and he is masterful at portraying a tortured soul driven to near madness by loneliness and danger.

What a decade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon the viking

Sorry 1980's.... with John Duttine as Bill Masen... and Howard from Howards way as Coker..... one of my favourite books and the tv was pretty close adaptation both fabulous but as much as I'd like to let it in...... Sorry

Top Bottom