The London Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm off down to London on Sunday morning, along with a few others, to see my No 1 daughter, Lizzi, as she runs/ jogs/staggers past us on her very first Marathon. She entered independently and was fortunate enough to get a place this time.

Our banner will be waving and we'll be cheering her (if we actually manage to see her through the throngs of runners and crowds, that is!!) If not, we'll meet her at the end.

She's running in support of Endometriosis, a disease from which she suffers, and has raised the staggering (no pun intended) of £650 so far.

All I want to do is big up my l'il girl because I'm so bloomin' proud of her!!!

Go Lizzi!!!!

^_^

I'm not touting for donations, but can send a link to her sponsorship page if anyone wishes. Just PM me.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Our banner will be waving and we'll be cheering her (if we actually manage to see her through the throngs of runners and crowds, that is!!) If not, we'll meet her at the end.

Good luck to her (and to you in spotting her).

In my experience, both of running the Marathon and spectating when the wife's been doing it, if you know roughly what your daughter's split times will be you can use the Tube to pop up and see her at several points along the route.

One good place to watch is the Isle of Dogs, where there are fewer spectators and the runners have thinned out a bit too. You can even walk through the foot tunnel to/from Greenwich and try to spot her at the Cutty Sark (6 mile point), though it's usually heaving there.

She'll get a lot of publicity if she 'runs' the course like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_IP03IGPYG8NAqSkSkv5JRKYYT8_rd1vhiLgq-uE0YYdf_Mg3.jpg

All the very best to her: running it, whatever the time is, it is a hell of an achievement.

I just looked at the mens time. Thats running at an average of 13mph . I Know some cyclists who that would be a struggle for. good luck to your daughter
Marathon is approx 42km. 2 hours ish means they are running each 100m in just over 17s. It's mind boggling

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Good luck to her (and to you in spotting her).

In my experience, both of running the Marathon and spectating when the wife's been doing it, if you know roughly what your daughter's split times will be you can use the Tube to pop up and see her at several points along the route.

One good place to watch is the Isle of Dogs, where there are fewer spectators and the runners have thinned out a bit too. You can even walk through the foot tunnel to/from Greenwich and try to spot her at the Cutty Sark (6 mile point), though it's usually heaving there.
We have a cunning plan... Plus advice from my sister, a Marathon widow. Thanks for the info.

I just looked at the mens time. Thats running at an average of 13mph . I Know some cyclists who that would be a struggle for. good luck to your daughter
Cheers

She'll get a lot of publicity if she 'runs' the course like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_IP03IGPYG8NAqSkSkv5JRKYYT8_rd1vhiLgq-uE0YYdf_Mg3.jpg

All the very best to her: running it, whatever the time is, it is a hell of an achievement.
The time is not a bother. She just wants to get there!! Thanks

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Dont watch at the busy points, find somewhere quieter and you should have no problem spotting her. If you can pre agree the spot even better.
Also remember it could take her up to 30 mins just to cross the start line, so take this into account if you are looking out for her.
It is easy to use the DLR to get from greenwich to docklands, and then get back into central london for the finish, but it will be busy as everyone else will be doing it too.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Good luck to your daughter. I did a half marathon last year and had everyone asking if I was going for the full one next. I would like to do one but I think the demanding training would push out all my other pastimes such as cycling and hillwalking.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm sure Lizzi has had all the advice and encouragement she can handle by now. Next comes the effort and the chance to feel a sense of achievement that will last her for years (or one year if she goes again next year). And, if you're anything like me, she'll have driven you to tears of pride. Go Lizzi, go!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@PeteXXX good luck to your daughter. You should post a link to her just giving page, when MrsP did the London Marathon a few years ago many of the good people of this forum were very generous.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement folks, it's very kind of you. We have a meeting place planned and a Plan A and Plan B to meet her at the end I am tracking her via Google+ 'locations', and her fella has an iPhone so he can use the Marathon App and her runner number to track her (Fruit based only this year, but Android should be ready for the 2017 run)

I did put in the OP that I wasn't touting for money,(just bigging up my l'il girl) but to send a PM for the link, If people want me to post the link, I will happily do so.

Top Bottom