The M1 Motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Any regular users of the M1 have an idea of when its best to travel ? During the week , weekends ? Night driving is out as i tend to start nodding off when it gets dark :eek:

Milzy

Guru
Usually after 7pm it’s dead

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Any regular users of the M1 have an idea of when its best to travel ? During the week , weekends ? Night driving is out as i tend to start nodding off when it gets dark :eek:

Since your info says you are in London, I assume you are talking of North bound?

When returning from visiting my son (Windsor), I normally aim to reach M1 (J6) after 10:00am and be off it (at Leeds) by 15:00, Tuesday - Thursday.

If going North, from my brother's (east of London), I avoid M1 and use M11/A1.

M1 Sunday afternoon, Monday and Friday, I avoid if possible.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Heading north from London to York and then back . My work is pretty flexible so i could swap the weekends for two days during the week i guess .

winjim

Smash the cistern
I’m sure you won’t exceed the speed limit, but the variable speed signs on the new ‘Managed’ motorway conceal cameras that work.
It’s like a disco some nights...
They're not concealed very well if you know the pattern. They're in the same place on the gantries in the opposite direction so they're easy to spot. If you're speeding, just make sure you have your gaze fixed firmly on the oncoming carriageway and you should be fine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Heading north from London to York and then back . My work is pretty flexible so i could swap the weekends for two days during the week i guess .

You could do worse than use the A1/A1(M)/A1 then enter York via the A64.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 5120177, member: 259"]Good thing about the A1 is you can get to some decent places to eat along the way, rather than crappy motorway service stations.[/QUOTE]
National Trust properties make great middle class service stations. There's always one a short drive away, you can get a cream tea, use a clean toilet and there's somewhere for the kids to run around and play for a bit.

subaqua

What’s the point
It’s pot luck . Avoid M11 A14 to A1M route as there’s significant works at Cambridge .

I try and travel after 10am in week heading north as misses massive traffic .

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom