The M1 Motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
You are Troy Tempest AICMFP!

My brothers wife is called Marina ...

DRM

Guru
it's very hard to judge, for example i've driven from Wakefield to Leicester, set off at about 6 am been at our Leicester depot for around 8 am, other times it;s been 10 am when i've got there, there are also sections of 50 mph roadworks near junction 36/37 & the section around the M18/M1 interchange is a very busy place, all i can say is allow plenty of time, York is terrible for parking if your going to the city centre, use the park & ride.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I ended up going yesterday and back home today mainly because Sunday is going to be heavy rain . I'm glad i did as the M1 Northbound was closed for a crash at J22 today :sad:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've found it's getting increasingly difficult to judge what traffic will be like on the M1 as it's that busy that the slightest thing can bring it to a halt.
The section north of Northampton can be stop start (and had a shockingly poor road surface last time I used it), as can the section around East Midlands Airport and the one around Sheffield.
Be aware of the many variable speed limit signs, which sometimes seem to be set at 50mph for no apparent reason - I once enjoyed a 30-odd mile stretch of 50mph on a near deserted motorway as they were testing the signs. Really. :dry:

If you choose to drive up the A1, there are still long sections that are still just dual carriageway where truck drivers like to overtake each other while doing 0.5mph more that the truck in lane 1. The section north of the M18 (Doncaster), all the way up to the 'new' motorway section north of the M62 is notably bad for crawling along for no apparent reason.

My honest advice is to use the train if you can :okay:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've found it's getting increasingly difficult to judge what traffic will be like on the M1 as it's that busy that the slightest thing can bring it to a halt.
The section north of Northampton can be stop start (and had a shockingly poor road surface last time I used it), as can the section around East Midlands Airport and the one around Sheffield.
Be aware of the many variable speed limit signs, which sometimes seem to be set at 50mph for no apparent reason - I once enjoyed a 30-odd mile stretch of 50mph on a near deserted motorway as they were testing the signs. Really. :dry:

If you choose to drive up the A1, there are still long sections that are still just dual carriageway where truck drivers like to overtake each other while doing 0.5mph more that the truck in lane 1. The section north of the M18 (Doncaster), all the way up to the 'new' motorway section north of the M62 is notably bad for crawling along for no apparent reason.

My honest advice is to use the train if you can :okay:
Would have been nice but i needed to get a mobility scooter up there for my mum and also my tools and wood to build a few ramps for her . ( not ramps for doing jumps on :laugh: )

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I don't know how practical it is from your place,(I know you've already been) but I come anti clockwise round the M25 from Kent and always head up the M11 and cut across to the A1M. It gets you off the M25 before a particularly busy stretch to the M1 and is a much better experience as there are far fewer towns en route compared with going up the M1/A1M.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I don't know how practical it is from your place,(I know you've already been) but I come anti clockwise round the M25 from Kent and always head up the M11 and cut across to the A1M. It gets you off the M25 before a particularly busy stretch to the M1 and is a much better experience as there are far fewer towns en route compared with going up the M1/A1M.
I think my uncle that lives local to me takes the M40 - M1 . I think its all to do with the time of day , on the way back i noticed i was about to hit the north circular at about 430 / 5 pm so decided the M25 would be better .

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I ended up going yesterday and back home today mainly because Sunday is going to be heavy rain . I'm glad i did as the M1 Northbound was closed for a crash at J22 today :sad:

I had to avoid that on the way to Derby Velodrome. Luckily I still made it to my session and also saw some people taking Dodgeball very seriously in the British Championships.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
It's usually OK outwith morning and evening rush hours but it only needs an accident or a lorry fire to bring it to a halt for miles. Spent two and a half hours stationary a mile or two after J15 on the southbound mid afternoon/mid week in June last year. Accident near Newport Pagnell.

The managed/smart motorway segments are a great improvement though. The new section from J16 to 18 runs smoothly after years of it being stop start concertina braking that led me to adopt the A5/A426 as a preferred route to M1/J20 or M6/J1

Depending on where in London you start from A1, M11/A1 or M40/A43/M1 are all possibles if bound for York with relatively little difference in time/miles. Check traffic on Google or Traffic England before you leave or if you have a satnav that updates for traffic follow that.

Top Bottom