The magic of a Big Apple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
I have now fitted 50mm Big Apple tyres to the front wheels of both my 'bents and have been impressed. I first changed the Stratus XP from a 26" wheel with a 28mm Durano tyre to a 20" one with a BA, and now my Paseo from a suspended fork to a fixed fork with a BA. I'm not saying it's as good as a Meks suspension fork but it's good enough that I can relax instead of watching the road surface like a hawk as was the case with a 40mm Racer on the same fixed fork. I find 40-45 psi is about right. The reason for the fork change was to lower the seat height. It's also saved around 600g. Yes a sturdy CroMo fork is 600g lighter than a carbon Meks.

I like BA's simply from the fact the rubber on the tread is roughly twice the depth compared to other tyres I've tried.
I can wreck a back tyre by climbing uphill in the wet on my tadpole trike due to not enough weight on it causing it to slip/spin.
So a 50-406 BA is the only tyre I've tried that lasts a +4,000 mile tour.

I first discovered the benefits of BA's years ago while using them on small wheel folders. They transformed the ride - pity they are not compatable with a Brompton. They even run well at 35 psi and have very good rolling resistance.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I run big apples on the Quetzal, with a suspended back end. Seeing as a lot of stokers get their first 'bent experience aboard, it makes sense to keep it super plush back there. :smile:

Top Bottom