'The Man Who Cycled The Americas' Mark Beaumont

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I watched it last night although I was falling asleep so I think I will watch it again with one of my children - I remember seeing quite a few bears and was surprised by how isolated the bits of the route they showed was.

jay clock

Massive member
Excellent stuff. Cycle touring goes mainstream = good times! He has a knack for talking to the camera like he was being interviewed (unless of course he was being tailed by an RV?).

My only moan is the constant talking up of the danger. When he has supposedly hit the wall and dehydrated he still has time to video himself beetling along at high speed and when he does get water takes his time to get the shot set up guzzling it.

But all in all very watchable

S_t_e_v_e

Veteran
Great show! 'bout time we had some cycling stuff on TV.

I'd have liked to have seen a bit more 'in depth' stuff... like preparation - equipment.
3 months cycling squashed into 1 hour tv but I suppose he's limited by his batteries...

Wish I was there.... (following in an RV :o)

Paulwakefield

Money Saving Berk
An absolutly top quality program, very much looking forward to next week.
Although I've been following his twitter and BBC blog since almost the beginning.
Will be seeing him live at Wakefield Theatre Royal in April too.

Just watching something like this, makes me wish I had done more adventures when I was younger!!!

jags

Guru
yeah would liked to have seen more on his gear and whats in his panniers.
but a great cyclists he sure get's around lucky sod.

Penfold

Paulwakefield said:
I think the handlebars are Koga's butterfly handlebars, could be wrong though, don't know whether i'd be able to get used to them ! :laugh:

They are Koga's bars, I got the same on my Signature...They only come with two options via their website....Foam or Leather covering. Perhaps he had some other cover fitted.
They are very comfy bars to ride with by the way :laugh:

rualexander

Legendary Member
I enjoyed watching the programme, brought back memories of when I rode from New Mexico to Alaska in 1992 through much the same terrain but in the opposite direction.
He also has a radio series started today on Radio Scotland which can be listened again on iplayer : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rl1t5
The first episode focused on his climb of Denali, and goes into more depth than was on the tv prog.

Paulwakefield

Money Saving Berk
rualexander said:
I enjoyed watching the programme, brought back memories of when I rode from New Mexico to Alaska in 1992 through much the same terrain but in the opposite direction.
He also has a radio series started today on Radio Scotland which can be listened again on iplayer : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rl1t5
The first episode focused on his climb of Denali, and goes into more depth than was on the tv prog.

Just had a listen, very good.
Have a look at his blog: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/cyclingtheamericas/2010/03/
There's some extra videos to complement last nights tv programme. The first one in particular is good and shows Mark setting up for a nights camping. Kinda shows you how dangerous it can be.

rualexander

Legendary Member
HJ said:
Umm, there are at least two threads in the Cafe about this...
Er, I only look at the Touring & Expedition section on this site, no harm in having a thread about a tour/expedition in a Touring & Expedition forum.

Top Bottom