The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Very interesting reading here! He was such a dapper chap and an inspiration for future well known 'fashion' designers, Hugo Boss being one of them!

15d6a283c4bf38b928b7ed4f9c5850d77afea940-1340x1340.jpg


His then contemporary but now seen as quite art deco attire is so missed now in such a scruffy slob era!🧐

How the Duke of Windsor became a style icon | Gentleman's Journal https://share.google/FZsU1u1OwYO7u6maM
 
Last edited:

sungod

Über Member
I’m not sure but these might boots Sungod wears however if I’m mistaken I can only apologise.
But I watched a YouTube review of shoes on USA site who graded shoes from A to E and I think these came out at D- I think due to price and construction.
I might be wrong because it was at least 20 hours ago since I watched said video.😳

yep, i've worn them 30+ years, quality of the mainline shoes is no better/worse than churches etc. - which i also had in my visiting gov/city/security days and the dress code was 'anonymous city type'

all the churches went to the charity shop ages ago, the jw collection grows

jw tend to thinner soles, which obviously means faster wear if worn a lot, but i got over 15 years out of my flashman's spirit*** ones, they also do some with thicker soles

the pointy ones have metal bits (i.e. like blakeys) to protect the toes, jw will supply spares so you can just swap them as the metal wears down

it's a proper northampton shoe company manufacturing in uk, italy and spain, good for them, life's too short for boring shoes

i'm getting some bespoke ones made at the next jw hellfire club meet :smile:

***the soles of flashman's spririt shoes were inscribed with these splendid words...

lord flashman saith for rioting and drunkenness i rise again​
​
you shall fulfil the lusts of the flesh​
​
the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, immodesty, luxury, witchcraft, drunkenness and revelling​
​
my flesh is meat indeed​
 

Shortfall

Über Member
But it's ok for oldie rock stars and oldie ex rock stars to wear them?🤔😉

People can wear what they want Accy and someone who's got enough attitude to wear those boots is probably the sort of person who can carry them off. But there also some people who would wear them because they desperately care what other people think and they end up looking a bit sad. Think David Brent in his Cuban heels and "Sergio Georgini" jacket.
 

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Difference as in better, or not as good as Solovair?🤔

Not as good, leather is way thinner and the construction around the heel is poorer as well, but for what I paid for them it doesn't matter.

Next boots I get new (poss Chelsea style) will be Solovairs.

No I think they were crap compared to Solovair.

TBF they are perfectly wearable but just not in the same league as the Solovairs and I deffo won't be buying any brand new.
 

Webbo2

Veteran
Good to see the ageism based clothing chat is alive and well.

Adidas x Paul Smith brothel creepers which I've worn into near extinction and a pair of stone washed Levi 501s which will likely out exist me.

View attachment 823338

Mrs W and my good self were in our local bike shop this and one of the staff complemented us for being very well dressed for bike shopping. Mrs W informed him we just been round the local museum and again he said well your both very smart even for that.
I was wearing a Moleskin suit and brogues, I’ m sure if I’d been wearing my climbing dirtbag outfit of Patagonia fleece, t shirt, shorts and Scarpa approach shoes. He wouldn’t have noticed my clothes.
 

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Another find today.

Barbour Steve McQueen Merchant jacket for £30, sold as seen and no returns but really just got a few scuffs and marks on it and no rips so just looks worn in.

IMG_7540.jpeg


IMG_7541.jpeg


IMG_7542.jpeg


Fit is more medium than large.

BH also got a barely worn pair of Keen walking trainers for £20 (still current and go for £100 new).
 

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Good to see the ageism based clothing chat is alive and well.

Adidas x Paul Smith brothel creepers which I've worn into near extinction and a pair of stone washed Levi 501s which will likely out exist me.

View attachment 823338

Horses for courses though, have plenty of Vans and Okasuna trainers as well as some Gleneagles and Cheeney shoes plus Solovairs and DM's.

Also hoodies( Hope,Howies etc) as well as RRL and Iron Heart Japanese denim, Paul Smith, Scottish wool scarves ,vintage stuff (Levis,US wool work shirts) ,NFL Raiders stuff etc.

It might be an age thing but do feel I'm appreciating quality clothes a lot more.

Best of all is a lot of it has come from charity shops for relative peanuts and means I can within reason spend more on new items.

Still waiting for a Ricksons jacket to turn up though ^_^.
 

stephec

Squire
Location
Bolton
Another find today.

Barbour Steve McQueen Merchant jacket for £30, sold as seen and no returns but really just got a few scuffs and marks on it and no rips so just looks worn in.

View attachment 823348

View attachment 823349

View attachment 823350

Fit is more medium than large.

BH also got a barely worn pair of Keen walking trainers for £20 (still current and go for £100 new).

That is a bargain.
 

Hover Fly

He, him, his
Location
阿爾弗斯頓
Our local Age Concern had a few dead stock (or hoarded) M&S shirts in today, still in wrappers, including a few in Viyella-alike wool and cotton mix, a horrible reminder of just how bad mid-range clothing quality has gotten over the last twenty to thirty years. One was labelled £9, Viyella now would be £80, for lesser quality, 60% wool then as against 20% wool now.
 

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
People can wear what they want Accy and someone who's got enough attitude to wear those boots is probably the sort of person who can carry them off. But there also some people who would wear them because they desperately care what other people think and they end up looking a bit sad. Think David Brent in his Cuban heels and "Sergio Georgini" jacket.

Who's David Brent and what did his 'Sergio Georgini' jacket look like?🤔🧐
 
Top Bottom