The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am no longer heading off to Chester/Wales on Saturday and I have my family coming some time later in the day so I am toying with the idea of getting up really early, doing a metric century in the morning, and getting back before the sun gets too fierce.

I'll be pleased with myself if I do it, but I'll probably end up putting my alarm on snooze and going back to sleep! :laugh:
Well, my family came a day early so we took the dog for a walk instead!

It was very windy up here that day so walking was probably better than bike riding anyway.

GuyBoden

Guru
My 100km ride was diverted today, because Delamere Road was closed due to the filming of a high speed car chase for a TV film, these film people are very inconsiderate, have they not heard of the famous Cycle Chat 100km a month Challenge. :tongue:

Elysian_Roads

Another ride south, with the aim of seeing if I can reach the coast at some point. More organized than last time, and definitely had a better choice of roads.

Took the Triban, after I fitted it with the Topeak Tourguide handle bar bag to hold the directions and allow me to dispense with the tool bottle so I could carry more water.

Set off at 6:30 to try and avoid the heat as much as possible. Managed to get over the 80 miles (in fact I think at over 82 miles it was my longest ride to date). Happy with that, but with food and drink stops, and a spell in Decathlon in Farnborough, ended up being out in a just a bit too warm temperatures for my liking...

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
July`s ride done today. Set out at 05:11 to meet up with 2 mates and make the most of the cooler conditions for 40+ miles, before meeting up with another mate and 3 others from a recently formed club. A very pleasant 15 miles was had with the new club riders to the cafe, before the rest of us set off for some extra miles.

Its always great to meet new riders and I`ll get out with them again I`m sure, great bunch of people.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1688795412

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I did the 25 mile lap of the Cycling TT J2/9 course as part of my 100km ride today, it was mostly A roads, very unpleasant riding, but fast.
Why?!!! :laugh:

I got 127 km in yesterday doing the annual Yorkshire Dales forum ride on a stunning route planned by @Sea of vapours. He took us on a few roads that I hadn't ridden before. I had wrongly assumed that they would get a fair amount of traffic on them but in fact they were very quiet (even before the England game took a lot of traffic off the roads).

It wasn't just a beautiful route, it was an extremely tough one too, and I say that as someone who does a lot of riding up steep Yorkshire hills! There was an awful lot of 20% climbing and quite a few 25% ramps as well. The fact that this was all taking place at Bake o'clock didn't help either! :okay:

I think it is all part of an experiment by Mike to see exactly how far he can push me before I actually expire on a ride! :smile:

I ran out of steam with about 20% of the ride to go, so that was hard work. I'll have to get fitter for next year's edition ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh no: rumbled. I'm just trying to ensure that all that cpr training doesn't go to waste ...
They are trying to defeat your dastardly plan ...

Defibrillator in Nateby.jpg

Someone should have pointed out that we need it at the summit of the climb though, not at the village at the bottom! :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh, and a bonus ... I just noticed that I had somehow forgotten to post an imperial century ride that I did with @Littgull a couple of weeks ago, so that has now been added to my tally.

They are trying to defeat your dastardly plan ...

View attachment 418444

Someone should have pointed out that we need it at the summit of the climb though, not at the village at the bottom! :okay:

They have one of those in a converted telephone box at the bottom of Britwell Hill, seems to be a trend here, it would seem to be much better placed at the top (or even half way up!).

Warm 100km this weekend, rode in the afternoon during the England game. On the plus side the roads were pretty much deserted, on the minus side it averaged 28 degrees (hitting 31 in places). I took two bottles and a Camelbak and still needed a top up! Also, I don't know if it's just me but I find it really hard to eat much on a ride when it's that warm.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Warm 100km this weekend, rode in the afternoon during the England game. On the plus side the roads were pretty much deserted, on the minus side it averaged 28 degrees (hitting 31 in places). I took two bottles and a Camelbak and still needed a top up! Also, I don't know if it's just me but I find it really hard to eat much on a ride when it's that warm.
It's not just you. I couldn't face eating much on my latest imperial century and suffered for it later in the ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It's not just you. I couldn't face eating much on my latest imperial century and suffered for it later in the ride.
I didn't eat or drink enough on Saturday. I lost my appetite and my drinks were way too warm. By contrast, the cold Coke that @Sea of vapours bought me at the Tan Hill Inn was great!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm still in. 100.2km today in the hot sunshine .... not my favourite conditions, but I guess variety is the thing with this particular challenge. I stuck a few miles onto either end of a longish club ride today. Mostly pretty flat except for one big climb up from Nailsworth to Coaley Peak via Horsley and Nympsfield. A nice surprise club picnic at Coaley Peak viewpoint, with rolls, cakes, strawberries and jugs of Pimms was a pleasant turn of events, and stoked me up nicely for the last 30 miles.

Top Bottom