The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Unlike @ColinJ I did not use my brain and banked on the forecast of a bit windy and showers being correct yesterday (Sat). Did the Raglan 200km audax. Felt like 400, it was wet, it was windy (sheltered from an overhead thunderstorm in a barn with perplexed cows), was nearly sliced through the railings both ways over the bridge and dragged myself up 2500m all except walking some of the horrible 16% Usk climb. Only just made it in audax time, full lights needed to not fall in canal on way back to the station in Bath. Had a great time with a very loyal ride buddy, far better than Ride London 2 years ago today. That's my 200km ride done for this year!

Edited on Monday: Quite happy to do another 200 now, but not every month :wacko:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unlike @ColinJ I did not use my brain and banked on the forecast of a bit windy and showers being correct yesterday. Did the Raglan 200km audax. Felt like 400, it was wet, it was windy (sheltered from an overhead thunderstorm in a barn with perplexed cows, was nearly sliced through the railings both ways over the bridge and dragged myself up 2500m all except walking some of the horrible 16% Usk climb. Only just made it in audax time, full lights needed to not fall in canal on way back to the station in Bath. Had a great time with a very loyal ride buddy, far better than Ride London 2 years ago today. That's my 200km ride done for this year!
Oh, dear ... :whistle:

Mind you - well done anyway! :okay:

Like many others I ventured out into the wind this weekend. I did the same gravel route (more or less) as a couple of weeks ago but in reverse. 105km with at least 35km of gravel/trail riding, not too hilly (1300m of climbing) and generally a very beautiful ride. However poor planning had the second half into the wind. At one point I had to pedal to get *down* a long 6% hill and a straight 11% ascent turned into a bit of a monster.

Unlike @ColinJ I did not use my brain and banked on the forecast of a bit windy and showers being correct yesterday (Sat). Did the Raglan 200km audax. Felt like 400, it was wet, it was windy (sheltered from an overhead thunderstorm in a barn with perplexed cows), was nearly sliced through the railings both ways over the bridge and dragged myself up 2500m all except walking some of the horrible 16% Usk climb. Only just made it in audax time, full lights needed to not fall in canal on way back to the station in Bath. Had a great time with a very loyal ride buddy, far better than Ride London 2 years ago today. That's my 200km ride done for this year!

Edited on Monday: Quite happy to do another 200 now, but not every month :wacko:
Strewth, bravo, sounds like a bit of a monster ride. I know I *should* do a 200km this year but I've yet to convince myself. ^_^

Shame July isn't a thirty day month since then I'd have done August's ride ...

That was a very fine day out, trundling over the Dales and then Pennines. Somewhat hard, and I didn't like the very dark skies over the high Pennine passes, though the rain did hold off entirely, as forecast, so I can't really complain - the forecast had not said 'the sky will not go very dark and very threatening for several hours'. That ride ticks off the last few Pennine pass roads which I'd not done; a necessity since the friend I stay with in the NE is moving to Kendal shortly so the northern Pennines is now going to be distinctly inaccessible for day trips :-\

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
That's August's on the board. Not the ride I wanted to do, but hopefully an opportunity will come up again this month.
24 hours ago I had planned on doing on a lumpy ride involving Bolton, Bury, Edgeworth and Darwin, with a journey back on new to me roads. A telephone call late yesterday afternoon blew that plan away.
"I'll be leaving at 8 ish and back sometime in the afternoon," had to be changed to "I'll make sure I am back for 10."
So instead of the joys of the moors, it had to be a utilitarian ride, along what for the most part, is just bleak suburbia. :sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had the chance to do an imperial century ride with Littgull tomorrow but it would mean an early start and a bit too much urban riding for me. It is amazing how he manages to find (largely) pleasant ways through big towns and cities but for that kind of distance I'd rather be riding somewhere quiet and scenic.

We are aiming to do an imperial century next Saturday. I'm sure that one will be a rural route, though we haven't decided on it yet.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
August done today with a club ride to Cafe Ventoux. 100 miles at 18 mph with 5200ft elevation, not my usual fare :surrender:.... Hard at times with some sharp climbs around the cafe, but it really was a cracker :bicycle:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1751503350

Lilliburlero far left
3OFKSfr1dM5W6qltZAhC_I01t1YvO98k4hPbwfyBGgg-2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom