The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Well with yesterday's 74 miler, I've now set a new personal record for the amount of 100km+ rides I've done in a calendar year (15) and I've still got another four months to go!

Okay, to be fair it wasn't that hard a goal to beat - my first ever 100km ride wasn't until 2015 (despite having considered myself as a "keen cyclist" since before the turn of the millennium, I'd just never done any really long distances) and my previous record of 14 was set just last year on my first attempt at the metric century challenge, which was then unfortunately curtailed by injury. But you've got to start somewhere, right?

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Well with yesterday's 74 miler, I've now set a new personal record for the amount of 100km+ rides I've done in a calendar year (15) and I've still got another four months to go!

Okay, to be fair it wasn't that hard a goal to beat - my first ever 100km ride wasn't until 2015 (despite having considered myself as a "keen cyclist" since before the turn of the millennium, I'd just never done any really long distances) and my previous record of 14 was set just last year on my first attempt at the metric century challenge, which was then unfortunately curtailed by injury. But you've got to start somewhere, right?

Well done @steverob , that`s a great personal milestone :thumbsup:

Keep the run going :bicycle:

gbs

Guru
Sorry been a bit remiss in keeping track of things, not to mention getting my own rides in. Most of the starters are up to date, just @cosmicbike , @Katherine , @Cranky Knee Girl and @gbs to post August qualifying rides, unless I've missed something...

I am just about to post my single century data for August. Surprisingly monthly distance will exceed 1200kms - DV

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And that makes a full house. Stick at it everyone, I think September may be the last of the nicer daylight rides...
I usually ride the Season of Mists 100-and-a-bit km mega-hilly (2,500+ m of climbing, some very steep! :eek:) audax event which takes place on the first or second Sunday of October. Over the past 12 years I would say there have been 6 editions in lovely conditions, but some of the other 6 were truly horrible and the main reason why I used the word 'usually' rather than 'always'! :okay:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I did it, even though I was out in Feb I need the motivation.. I'm in danger of making excuses so fashioned a double loop with variants not straying that far from home so I could have something to eat at home. I made sure it wasn't an unethically flat (106km and 1120m) one and had 4 different stiff climbs (2 on each loop). Forgotten how horrible Goblin Coombe is that runs up to the end of the runway at Bristol Airport, had a Thompson flight pass close! Masses roadworks, some for Bristol stage of Tour of Britain and some that are nothing to do with that but forced all the angry drivers onto Caswell Lane. Had a bit of a run in with a van driver, I am very courteous, but neither of us had stopped at quite a distance apart as is the norm, but as he was local, and a knob, and in a car it was all my fault for not waiting for him, his reasoning for running at me and not slowing and pulling over slightly so I could roll past with far less inconvenience than if I'd been in a tin box. He has to put up with the inconvenience for 3 days. Goodness, I'm a local trying to use the roads I have paid taxes for as well. Was very good and just refused to back down but remained calm and didn't let him win. 5 mins I won't get back. Did that stretch twice and only he was a problem. Waves, smiles, thank yous etc from me and other drivers, dog walkers and horse riders.

Met a van on a bend on the very narrow Goblin Coombe, I sort of leant into the grass bank to squeeze past and lost my chain, annoying on the steepest bit.

Quite a bit of sunshine I wasn't expecting, glad I have broken my barrier of riding longer rides on my own, it's been a while and if I don't I will not ride much as local clubs are just not working for me. Either too fast, too slow or the sort that don't declare what sort of route/ride is happening. I need a route on my Garmin so I know if I get dropped, lost I will be able to find my way!

At last! I have finally got my act together and trundled all the way to Great Dun Feel and, naturally, up it. In the interest of avoiding an annoying, out-and-back type route, and also to do my one and only double century for the year, I thought it would be a good idea to go out there the flattish way and come back over Tan Hill and Fleak Moss, the very-much-not-remotely-flat way. Great route and, once the morning chill had gone, a really nice day. It was pretty chilly up Great Dun Fell, or coming down it anyway, but that's hardly unreasonable really.

Great Dun Fel doesn't do altitude profiles much good though. Generally, the latter half of this would look properly spiky, essentially since it's relentlessly hilly from Brough onwards, where I started rolling up Tan Hill. Attach the big pointy thing in the first half, however, and the rest looks .... well, like undulations really. Amusing though.
gdf.JPG

Fiona R

At last! I have finally got my act together and trundled all the way to Great Dun Feel and, naturally, up it. In the interest of avoiding an annoying, out-and-back type route, and also to do my one and only double century for the year, I thought it would be a good idea to go out there the flattish way and come back over Tan Hill and Fleak Moss, the very-much-not-remotely-flat way. Great route and, once the morning chill had gone, a really nice day. It was pretty chilly up Great Dun Fell, or coming down it anyway, but that's hardly unreasonable really.

Great Dun Fel doesn't do altitude profiles much good though. Generally, the latter half of this would look properly spiky, essentially since it's relentlessly hilly from Brough onwards, where I started rolling up Tan Hill. Attach the big pointy thing in the first half, however, and the rest looks .... well, like undulations really. Amusing though.
View attachment 427628
One almighty huge Chapeau!

Every time I'm up in Penrith I sort of feel like I should do it, but somehow never have. If I'd been you I think I may have done the hillier bit first. The day we did Bealach na baa from Applecross, the hardest part of the day was afterwards was the undulations from Strathcarron to Plockton. Elevation maps are deceiving with a great spiky bit!

Rest day and a doughnut tomorrow?

I did consider the other direction but then I'd have had 80km of 'rolling terrain' to get home from the top, which sounds like an awfully long way. In contrast, the way I did it, I had a series of increasingly difficult hills in what I think is much nicer landscape, so it actually felt shorter. That said, Fleak Moss is easily the hardest thing on the route and it being at 150km in was 'challenging'!

Great Dun Fell is well worth doing though; definitely you 'should' next time you're nearby.

I seriously doubt I'll be doing any pedalling tomorrow and food will certainly feature heavily in the day too.

Fiona R

I did consider the other direction but then I'd have had 80km of 'rolling terrain' to get home from the top, which sounds like an awfully long way. In contrast, the way I did it, I had a series of increasingly difficult hills in what I think is much nicer landscape, so it actually felt shorter. That said, Fleak Moss is easily the hardest thing on the route and it being at 150km in was 'challenging'!

Great Dun Fell is well worth doing though; definitely you 'should' next time you're nearby.

I seriously doubt I'll be doing any pedalling tomorrow and food will certainly feature heavily in the day too.
Not much point, I can't cycle those gradients so would end up walking it. The ride south of Appleby is nice in Eden Vale.

Find yourself a hot tub to wallow in tomorrow!

I have been thinking about a route taking in Great Dun Fell
How about a forum ride starting at, for example, Kirkby Stephen? Appleby's even closer of course, but that's arguably too close as the 'up Great Dun Fell' bit starts less than 5km from Appleby station. It's about 20km from Kirkby Stephen station to the lowest point before the climb, so roughly a 60km round trip. Throw in a bit of gratuitous avoidance of the same roads out and back and it would be 70-80km.

Top Bottom