The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Glorious weather yesterday for a ride, pretty much perfect. Light winds, sunshine but only low 20s so not too hot. Took the opportunity to ride down to the Thames and back. Just a lovely ride.
Ditto except I went to Wales and rode down the Wye, so went from being "Lanterne Rouge" in August to "Miss Goodie Two Shoes not scraping the barrel on the 30th Sept" it was such a pleasant experience compared to my last outing to Wales at the end of July! Bit lumpy round Tintern way.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about a forum ride starting at, for example, Kirkby Stephen? Appleby's even closer of course, but that's arguably too close as the 'up Great Dun Fell' bit starts less than 5km from Appleby station. It's about 20km from Kirkby Stephen station to the lowest point before the climb, so roughly a 60km round trip. Throw in a bit of gratuitous avoidance of the same roads out and back and it would be 70-80km.
The logistics might be a bit tricky for those of us living further away, but it is definitely worth thinking about. Maybe next year ...?

A rather obscure metric Eddington thing to report. Not worth its own thread.

As we know the metric E number is the highest number E where you have ridden at least E km on E days. I recently passed my metric Eddington 100, according to Ride With GPS. Meaning I'd recorded 100 x 100 km rides. It's actually more than that, because there were plenty of pre RWGPS rides, and I sometimes split long rides into several shorter ones. The way I'm doing it the shorter distances count. But I'm not worrying about any of that.

Anyway .... what about climbing?

If I define the metric Eddington climbing number as the highest number E where you have climbed at least 10 x E metres on E days, then I've just passed 100. I've done - according to RWGPS - 100 rides of 1,000 or more metres climbing.

Congratulations! Going to take me about another year to get to that km mark. On the climbing front I see that Veloviewer uses the formula 'm x20'. So I'm on a (Veloviewer) climbing Eddington of 1100m (55 rides)

Congratulations both.

Eddington number increase is painful beyond a certain point. In my case that certain point was the metric 100. Having passed it sometime well over a year ago I'm now still 'only' on 103, though just four rides to reach 104. As to the Veloviewer climbing one (i.e. 20x) I'm on 1,840, which is 94 days. At least that one doesn't drop off a cliff the way the distance one does and a healthy 2,000 is achievable in a mere 30 days. Hmmm.... that's actually rather a lot too, come to think of it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I hadn't been looking at my metric Eddington number. I just checked and it is officially currently 105. I should get it to the low 110s over the next couple of years (15 needed for 110) because there are several rides that I do regularly that are that long.

I will get it higher than that as a side effect of going for my imperial 100 (54 still needed).

I have no idea how much climbing I have done over the years, but I do know that I average pretty close to 20 m per km ridden round here (or about 100 ft per mile). I suppose that I could 'guesstimate' a figure from that ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've got a scenic route planned for my September outing. It probably won't happen this week, so I may leave it until Thu/Fri next week. That would give me a week in reserve just in case.

It's a 'slightly undulating'*** (:whistle:) route to a cafe stop near Otley, one last stiff climb after that (Otley East Chevin), and then an easy run down to Bradford Interchange for a train home.

*** The profile:

Tod Lothersdale Langbar Otley Bradford elevation profile.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was just checking to see if I had already done my September metric century, but the ride that I was thinking of was in fact only 81 km (50 miles). What I did discover though was that I had forgotten to post a 105 km ride that I had done through Rivington at the end of August with @Littgull so I have just corrected that oversight.

There are some great circular routes for me taking in Rivington*** but I have been put off doing them by some busy roads on the way back. Littgull has been showing me some great cycleways in that area, however, and it is possible to avoid most of those roads by using them. Our route did take us over about 1 km of 'proper' bridleway - the kind of thing that you need a mountain bike and a lot of fitness and skill to ride; slabs of rock, drop-offs, ruts and so on. We walked that section but I have since found some quiet roads which bypass it and we will use those next time. There is a plan to extend the cycleway to beyond the problem area and I will check that out as soon as it opens.

I had always planned to limit myself to a metric century so we took the cycleway right to Accrington railway station and my train came in a couple of minutes later. Littgull was determined to get an imperial century in, so he rode all the way home to Littleborough. I got a text from him at about 21:45 saying that he had done it! Chapeau to him, but I was chuffed that I'd got home, showered, and was eating pizza less than 45 minutes after my ride finished!

*** Where the Commonwealth Games road races were held in 2002. I went to watch the women's race and stood at the bottom of the steep descent of Sheep House Lane. The dry stone wall across the road on the 90 degree LH bend was protected by straw bales and I had a feeling that they would be needed. Sure enough, Welsh rider Nicole (over-)Cooke(-d it and) slammed into the bales on the final lap of the circuit. I thought that her chances were scuppered but she had other ideas, remounted, chased back on and won the sprint for the gold medal! :bravo:

Yes, that was one of many day rides we have enjoyed during the long dry summer. Even walking the stoney short 1km bit of Bridleway between Stubbins (nr Ramsbottom) and Accrington that @ColinJ mentioned above was enjoyable as the 'undiscovered' riverside scenery leading up to it was exquisitely scenic in parts!

It's really good fun sounding out stretches of good surfaced off road routes and building them into a ride. The Tfgm (Transport for Greater Manchester) website produce a good set of cycle route maps covering all the individual Council areas within Greater Manchester. The off road stretches that are good (non technical) surfaces are depicted in green and the rougher (often quite muddy) and more technical off road stretches are shown in brown. The free hard copies of the maps can be requested via their website by completing the brief form. Both Colin and I agree that we are no longer of an age where we fancy tackling technical, very rocky or tree root strewn off road tracks. We are too fretful about the risk of injured knees and other body parts and the extended time it takes to heal when you get older.

The good thing about this very dry summer is that even the parts that are shown in brown on the maps have been very easily rideable on a non mtb whilst with sustained 'normal' rainfall levels riding an mtb would be the only viable option. The Rochdale Canal is a good route out to these various 'green' routes. The other really good thing is that these cycling maps highlight quiet suburban and urban roads in yellow which enable the cyclist to get to the off road stretches without using busy roads. It's possible to complete quite a substantial ride by linking all these up using the Rochdale Canal and 'yellow' quiet roads to access the off road stretches. Examples of off road/quiet country lanes that can be linked together in this way are : Tandle Hill/Thornham Lane (Oldham Council Area), Chadwick Lane Castleton/Queens Park, Heywood (Rochdale Council), Elbut Lane/Castle Hill Road, Birtle (Bury Council), Kirklees Trail, Greenmount/Bury (Bury Council), Sustrans NCN Route 92 Rochdale/Whitworth/Bacup (Rochdale and Rossendale Council) and NCN Route 6 Edenfield/Accrington including the Hyndburn Greenway. Linking all these together makes for quite a varied and scenically pleasant day out with the majority of it being on good surfaced off road tracks.

Last edited:
I finally got round to the September qualifying century. The weather's been uninviting so far this month in the Dales but, whislt not exactly sunny and warm with gentle breezes, Monday looked benign, and indeed it was benign up to a point, that being the point at which I turned southward into the escalating wind in order to go down the side of Ullswater and over the Kirkstone Pass.

I've been meaning to do two things which are a bit of a way from home for a while. The first of those was to cycle along the minor roads which are between the two, at that point separated, carriageways of the M6 for about 3km, between J38 and J39, Tebay and Shap. That all worked out nicely and I thought it somewhat surreal, rolling along in the middle of a motorway. Cutting across from Shap to Pooley Bridge, at the top of Ullswater, was rather good too, with some very nice lanes and good views of the northern Lakeland fells.

The second 'thing to do' was roll along the side of Ullswater and over the Kirkstone Pass, which is a rather fine road with a good surface and pretty manageable traffic by Lakes standards. I knew I'd chosen a day with a headwind but it proved to be a rather silly one with very strong gusts. All fine though, other than that it was also raining quite heavily all the way along, with extra water thrown up off the lake to add to the rain. The pass itelf featured rain so strong and wind-propelled that it was verging on painful on my legs and face - very much not in the forecast. On the upside, it was warm-ish water. The descent was also made more 'entertaining' by sheets of flowing water across the road and very limited visibility.

Still, September and two 'to do list' things ticked off, so a pretty good day in the end :-)

Top Bottom