The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Three months in...got my 100k completed today. 81 miles, with an early start to knock in a few miles, then back to meet up for the club ride. Club ride was a very steady plod, although I was able to press on heading home. My recent lack of mileage was evident & I was glad to get home. Hopefully I can get back to regular 100k's & bring the fitness back up.

steverob

Guru
Coming up on the last weekend to get a March ride in and we've still got a few yet to post - including myself!

Trouble is I'm recovering from an Achilles injury (god knows how I did that). Considering that this time last week I could barely walk without being in pain, I'm certainly doing a whole load better - have done a few gentle Zwift rides and managed to get in to the office in London today - but I'm not sure I'm capable of doing a 100km ride yet.

I have Monday off, so have three possible days to get it done, but I'm not going to push it if I don't feel it is wise.

13 rider

Guru
Coming up on the last weekend to get a March ride in and we've still got a few yet to post - including myself!

Trouble is I'm recovering from an Achilles injury (god knows how I did that). Considering that this time last week I could barely walk without being in pain, I'm certainly doing a whole load better - have done a few gentle Zwift rides and managed to get in to the office in London today - but I'm not sure I'm capable of doing a 100km ride yet.

I have Monday off, so have three possible days to get it done, but I'm not going to push it if I don't feel it is wise.
Be sensible don't do further damage to the tendon my pushing just to get a challenge ride in. Only you know your body so listen to it if it's says stop then stop . An injury now and a summer of riding could be off .

steverob

Guru
The thing is, while I'm riding I don't feel any problems in that area of my leg at all - possibly because my ankle and calf are relatively stable while pedalling. Once I get off the bike and start walking is the time I'm most likely to aggravate the injury!

My main issue is that having only done two outdoor rides in the past 30 days (totalling less than 65 miles), that I'm not sure I'm fit enough to do 100km anyway even without any injuries.

Seeing the physio tomorrow anyway, so we'll see what she says.

13 rider

Guru
The thing is, while I'm riding I don't feel any problems in that area of my leg at all - possibly because my ankle and calf are relatively stable while pedalling. Once I get off the bike and start walking is the time I'm most likely to aggravate the injury!

My main issue is that having only done two outdoor rides in the past 30 days (totalling less than 65 miles), that I'm not sure I'm fit enough to do 100km anyway even without any injuries.

Seeing the physio tomorrow anyway, so we'll see what she says.
If your not going to injury yourself riding you will be fit enough to ride 100km you will still have the base fitness . Just ride within yourself and accept you will be slower than normal possible cafe stop halfwayish and you will get it done . Good luck and enjoy the sunshine

steverob

Guru
Took @13 rider's advice and plotted as un-strenuous a route as possible out to the edge of Oxford and back, with a bail out point (railway station) at halfway just in case and a place for a long break and something to eat scheduled at the 40 mile mark.

Then I took it as easy as possible for the ride - did start to feel a little tired at about 50 miles, but that was due to lack of fitness; my injured leg actually felt okay. The gorgeous weather certainly did help proceedings and also being able to cycle on a weekday rather than a weekend meant there wasn't much traffic until the schools came out, by which time I was already well on the way home.

Here's hoping for a slightly easier month in April. On holiday (abroad hopefully) for a large chunk of May, which means that might also be a challenge to fit in a ride, but will cross that bridge, etc...

13 rider

Guru
Took @13 rider's advice and plotted as un-strenuous a route as possible out to the edge of Oxford and back, with a bail out point (railway station) at halfway just in case and a place for a long break and something to eat scheduled at the 40 mile mark.

Then I took it as easy as possible for the ride - did start to feel a little tired at about 50 miles, but that was due to lack of fitness; my injured leg actually felt okay. The gorgeous weather certainly did help proceedings and also being able to cycle on a weekday rather than a weekend meant there wasn't much traffic until the schools came out, by which time I was already well on the way home.

Here's hoping for a slightly easier month in April. On holiday (abroad hopefully) for a large chunk of May, which means that might also be a challenge to fit in a ride, but will cross that bridge, etc...
You took my advice !! And it worked !!!!! There's a first time for everything

KingswayRider

Über Member
I'd planned to add another 100k to the list on Sunday 27th March. My plan was some hilly heatmap filling around Stroud, before returning to meet the club ride at 9am. The route was very direct out & back, with all the hilly meandering done once I hit Stroud...or that was the plan.
I'd done just short of 50 miles on the Saturday & punctured, slicing quite a hole in a brand new tubeless tyre. Banged in a tube, 10 miles home, no problem. Pressure was reset to correct level on getting home & I figured I'd leave the tube in until after my Sunday ride, then inspect & sort repair.
So, Sunday morning off I go, at what was pretty much 1st light (clocks had gone forward overnight) & get a few miles down the road, only to puncture just outside Standish. Pull up by the church, find nothing in the tyre, fit another tube & set off again, accepting I've lost a bit of time, so will have to crack on or lose some of the mileage I wanted. Intentionally take the main road from Stonehouse to Stroud rather than go through Ebley, as it is more direct & there are far less traffic lights to deal with. Making a nice 18mph average as I approach the end of the bypass...when I'm met with the sound of hissing from my rapidly deflating rear tyre. There was nothing for it but to set off home (not wanting to wake the wife so early, especially with an hour less in bed anyway). I was making a steady 4mph walking pace on the way home (in road shoes & cleats), but realised my foot was starting to blister...so figured I'd jog a little to ease it. Walked/jogged all of the way back (7.75 miles) & on taking off my shoes & socks, realised just what a mess I'd made. I had ripped all of the skin off the blister, so had a patch of flesh that was about 2 inches across by an inch high, with a clearly visible depression where I'd abraded my heel so badly. To cap it off, I'd also bruised my heel & hurt all the ligaments/tendons around my heel & ankle. Missed the club ride too (I'd been pressing on trying to be back in time to swap bikes & shoes).
Not to be beaten, I chucked the second bike in the car on the Tuesday evening & despite some discomfort (well padded around heel, but still hurt), I did what I had intended to do, given that I was on the edge of Stroud on Sunday morning anyway, by riding the rest of the route.
I inspected the tyre too, finding nothing other than quite a large cut. All I can think of as the cause of the punctures is the actual carcass of the tyre - I suspect that it has rubbed on the tube & caused a puncture. Another new tyre fitted, to replace the already new tyre (cycled less than 60 miles on it).
I skipped Saturday morning, but managed to be out on Sunday. Although I didn't top the 100k by much, I did hit what I needed & have April's 100k in the bag nice & early in the month. Hopefully I can add a few more 100's before the month is out.
Foot is healing, but it is going to be some time before it is fully repaired. Looking forward to being able to walk normally - have adopted a means of walking that minimises any rubbing on my heel. Lessons learnt - don't walk or run any distance in cycle shoes & phone the wife... whatever the time (she might be grumpy at first, but it's easier than being asked why I didn't phone her initially).

KingswayRider

Über Member
No 100k last week...up early, set off from the house & when I went to shift a gear, absolutely nothing. Tried up & down, tried the left shifter unit instead of the right, still nothing. It transpires that Di2 works better when you charge the battery.
Home after 2 miles, plug in the USB cable & sit & wait. Got out in time for the club ride & managed some detours & then chase back onto the group a few times, so squeezed in a 50.
Out this morning with a plan for about 45 to 50. Got caught up in heatmap filling & ended up with a 100k. All I did was ride to Cheltenham & back, but much meandering along the way meant plenty of distance. Moved Quedgeley to 99.3% complete on Wandrer, Gloucester to over 76% (of 360 miles) & added to Hucclecote, Brockworth, Badgeworth, Up Hatherley, Leckhampton, Cheltenham, Staverton & Churchdown along the way. Hopefully another 100k tomorrow.

steverob

Guru
April's century finally done. Could have completed it on pretty much any of the previous weekends, but was struggling a little with motivation - once I'm out on my bike I feel great, but I just seem to be finding excuses for delaying my rides, which means that by the time I eventually get out, I've only left myself enough time to do a shorter distance.

Very windy today which made the choice of what to wear a little more difficult - definitely warm enough for shorts and short sleeve jersey, but at any point I was riding in the shade or not sheltered from the wind for more than a few minutes, I felt cold enough to put on the wind jacket I had stuffed in my pocket - didn't have anything for my legs though! Had a headwind for the middle third of the ride, but luckily that was a fairly flat section so while I struggled a bit, it wasn't completely terrible.

Did a couple of new bits of road - visited Waterperry Gardens; it's a fee to get into the ornamental gardens themselves, but the cafe and shop are open to all; however they were both absolutely packed, so I turned around after getting a few photos. Cut through the grounds of Oxford Brookes University to save myself a mile or so (and avoid a very busy main road) and also traversed a new bridge which goes over a railway line that hasn't actually been built yet. Because of said line, there are a lot of closed roads and diversions in that area, so it got a bit complicated to find an open route that wasn't going to take me massively out of my way; found one, but it did mean tackling one extra climb into the wind unfortunately!

steverob

Guru
Similar plan here - get May's ride out of the way as I'm on holiday for a few weeks, using that to cross off VeloViewer tiles and also complete some Wandrer challenges at the same time.

Ride was slightly longer than expected due to some more HS2 related road closures - probably added 5-6 miles to my route, but I then cut out some loops on my way home that I had originally planned to use, meaning it ended up being only 3 miles over the original plan. Longest ride of the year so far regardless.

Top Bottom