The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
Yep, Soar valley is easy to spot, couple of uphill bits past Bradgate Park and from Newtown Linford to the A50 :okay:

1659887725309.png

13 rider

Guru
@Willd . Markfield lane up to the A50 is a long drag after a steep start . If you went up Warren hill to the rear of Bradgate Park before dropping into Newtown Linford ,that's a horrible climb which to be honest I normally do an extra 2 miles to avoid it

Willd

Veteran
@Willd . Markfield lane up to the A50 is a long drag after a steep start . If you went up Warren hill to the rear of Bradgate Park before dropping into Newtown Linford ,that's a horrible climb which to be honest I normally do an extra 2 miles to avoid it

Yes, it was up Warren Hill :okay: Had a couple of gears in reserve, but it was getting rather warm, even though I set out at 6am. Did smile though as I passed someone coming up the other side ^_^

KingswayRider

Über Member
Dropped the car off at the dealership this morning & figured it was a perfect opportunity for a play out on my bike...
Set off into the rising heat, starting with some Wandrer map filling & then heading out into the Cotswolds. Met with more of a breeze than expected, which did make it feel cooler, but clearly it was very hot & the build-up of salt on my shorts was rather obvious.
Hit a wall short of Snowshill, but figured I had a bit of water still & would take on refreshments at Toddington. By the time I got there I was cramping a little, so bought a bottle of coke, two 750ml bottles of Lucozade sport & a bottle of water. Drank all the coke & half the water almost immediately. Used the remaining (cold) water to wet clothing & then started on the Lucozade before setting off again.
First couple of miles went ok, then started to cramp. Totally hit the wall on the A435 towards Bishops Cleeve, with cramp at both front & back of legs...making it impossible to stretch out the cramp. Had some friendly passers-by check I was ok, but there was nothing they could do to help (one kind gent did offer to help me stretch out cramps, so had to explain cramping in two directions).
Eventually set off again, but cramp quickly set in again (including calf muscles) & I had to admit defeat & call the wife, who rushed out of work to come & pick me up. Annoyed at not hitting the 100k intended, especially with all the climbing work done, but there was no way I could continue & no shade to shelter in & hope to continue.
Frustrating as I'm normally fine in the heat & missed out on both the 100k & some extra sections on Wandrer.
Legs are still pretty sore, so might have a little loosen up spin tomorrow & then try to add another 100k on Sunday.

Anyway, 53.4 miles with 892m ascent added to my annual total.

KingswayRider

Über Member
A challenging weekend...for all the wrong reasons. New bearings fitted in my Roval rear hub (DT Swiss 240) on Friday. Didn't have the hub re-assembled, as easy enough to do myself...or it should be. Built up no problem, but wouldn't freewheel. Strip, build, test & repeat endlessly. Gave up Friday night, googled & started again Saturday am (when I'd planned to be riding).
Still no go, so fitted a spare rear wheel (with the properties of a brick) to do the Sunday ride. Got up to find Garmin hadn't turned off as it should have, but was stuck in a lock type screen. Force shutdown & restart to find it at 32%, so have to put on charge & wait - lost an hour of ride time. Set off, but with my Garmin stuck in auto rotate on the pages...so a 2 second view of each page in a constant scroll. Re-starting made no difference. 75 miles done & managed to sort Garmin post ride - changed auto scroll setting back & forth a few times & it finally cleared.
I also managed to sort my wheel on Sunday afternoon - drifted non-side bearing out slightly, drive side seated a little further, axle now spinning smoothly & when re-assembled freewheeling nicely.
Monday morning began with a very early start to do some Wandrer heatmap filling, so drove down to Lydney ready to start a hilly route - plan was 1000m+ ascent in under 40 miles. Parked up & set off just after 6.20am. Just a couple of miles in & my chain snapped, luckily as I was heading uphill, it meant I could freewheel much of the way back to the car. Drive home, fit the new chain I'd got ready to change prior to hitting 75% wear marker. Head back out for a local spin to test, taking in a couple of climbs around Westrip & getting home for 10.30am as promised to the wife.
I do have some positives, in addition to having fixed the various issues.
I have tonight completed my personal 5x5 challenge - 5 consecutive months of 500+ miles (no cycle commuting), recording 560, 633, 508, 645 & 502 miles. Despite a woeful total in February (due to Covid), I'm also ahead of target to hit 5000 miles for the year - lots of 5's to complete before I hit the big 50.

steverob

Guru
September ride done, but had a bit of an adventure. Had planned to do a ride that was substantially over 100km, but it didn't quite turn out that way.

First part of the ride was really good - despite mainly riding in to the wind I felt I was making really good progress and got to about 40 miles and legs still felt really fresh. Had explored a bit more of Buckingham and then headed to Milton Keynes to cross off some more areas there, as there are large chunks where I have no coverage on my map. Stopped for what was supposed to be a quick McD's, however they managed to lose my order somehow, but eventually got my food 20 minutes later and I got underway again.

However disaster then struck when the chain came off while changing gears but somehow it managed to get itself wedged between the small chainring and the bike frame and it was NOT budging. I tried every trick I could at the side of the road for about quarter of an hour, but nothing was working (in fact I have a feeling I made it worse). I figured the only solution would be to remove the pedals and cranks to free up the chain, but I didn't have the tool on me to to that, so I went on the web to search for a nearby bike shop.

Trouble was I was in a relative LBS desert - that side of MK was all industrial estates and while the Google Maps app showed lots of little red pins, none of them were anywhere near me. The closest option was a Halfords in Bletchley, which was going to be a three and a bit mile walk (although in the direction I'd roughly been heading anyway at least). Feeling I had no other choice, I started to walk.

Got there just under an hour later and could not have had better service. They freed up the chain in five minutes, then put everything back in place again and did not even charge me for labour - all they asked was that I fill out the online survey and mention their names in it (which I already have done).

Got on the road again and picked up my planned route very quickly, but the part walked obviously did not count, plus I'd missed out on one meandering bit of the route which would have been an extra eight miles, so figured I might well be short for the 100km. Worked out on the fly that if I headed directly home I'd hit about 59-60 miles (compared to my original plans of nearly 70), so started plotting added detours to make up some missing miles. Eventually made it home at 62.43, so did just enough.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
October done and my longest ride of the year, although not intentionally.

Following a post elsewhere on the forum about whether it was possible to cycle around the Heathrow perimeter roads (yes it is, plus a large proportion of them have cycle paths anyway) I decided that a trip down that way was long overdue. Planned on bookending the ride with two train rides so that I could take a more meandering route back to cross off some areas in South Bucks I hadn't done before and still come in under 65 miles.

My planned route from Little Chalfont down to Heathrow was fairly successful - managed to stay off the main roads and pick my way through country lanes, suburban housing estates and some very well concealed bike paths. The only difficult bit to navigate was around Uxbridge which is horrible for traffic even when driving! Completed a lap of the airport, some on the A4 and A30 bike paths, other bits on the perimeter road itself, with numerous stops to take photos of planes taking off and landing over my head (I was certainly not the only one doing this!).

Stopping at my halfway distance (already well on the way home) I checked the train times and found that for some reason, the service I had hoped to take was hourly today instead of its usual half-hour schedule which potentially threw a spanner in the works. Worked out that if I kept to the same pace I would make it with about 10 minutes to spare - the route home was slightly uphill with one notable climb, but at the same time I had a tailwind so I was optimistic. That optimism turned out to be massively misplaced!

As I approached the climb, my legs made it very clear to the rest of my body that they weren't interested in pushing and I started to get slower and slower. Combine that with a long single track lane where every car in the world seemed to want to pass me and the passing places were always on my side of the road, plus a number of temporary traffic lights that always went red as I approached, it soon became very clear I was not going to make my train. Ended up getting to the station about 6 minutes late and had a decision to make - wait it out almost 50 minutes in a small village where all the shops were already shut, or cycle home a further 12 miles on knackered legs, which would take me almost an hour as well (though I'd head straight home and not have to go via the station at least).

Decided to take the plunge and turn it into a 74 mile ride - which halfway home seemed like the worst possible idea as I was really struggling, but I think at the end of the day it probably was about 15 minutes quicker and was my longest ride since last August, so I'll call it a wash!

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
I know we still have two weeks left in October, but it looks like all six of us have successfully made it through the month (Simon hasn't posted yet, but he typically waits till the end of the month and I know he's already done his ride cause I've seen it on Strava), which means we enter the final two months of the year. For anyone who watches NFL RedZone (probably just me) I would be tempted to call this the "Witching Hour".

Are these the hardest two months? Certainly with the light closing in and the weather getting more variable it can mean slightly fewer opportunities to ride. Or does the fact that you're now close to the finishing line act as an extra spur to get it done, so it's actually the first two months that are the most difficult? Having only been in this situation once before (2018), I'm not sure I'm best placed to answer!

Although I did come close one other year; missed two months in the middle due to injury, but I decided to complete all the other months anyway just to prove to myself that I could (and those remain the only two times I've ever done a 100km ride in December - so far).

Last edited:

KingswayRider

Über Member
I know we still have two weeks left in October, but it looks like all six of us have successfully made it through the month (Simon hasn't posted yet, but he typically waits till the end of the month and I know he's already done his ride cause I've seen it on Strava), which means we enter the final two months of the year. For anyone who watches NFL RedZone (probably just me) I would be tempted to call this the "Witching Hour".

Are these the hardest two months? Certainly with the light closing in and the weather getting more variable it can mean slightly fewer opportunities to ride. Or does the fact that you're now close to the finishing line act as an extra spur to get it done, so it's actually the first two months that are the most difficult? Having only been in this situation once before (2018), I'm not sure I'm best placed to answer!

Although I did come close one other year; missed two months in the middle due to injury, but I decided to complete all the other months anyway just to prove to myself that I could (and those remain the only two times I've ever done a 100km ride in December - so far).

I find January & February the hardest. Setting off on a morning in sub zero temperatures, particularly when I struggle with cold hands & feet, is a challenge. Frozen fingers are both painful & make shifting & braking difficult. I'm already looking at new glove options for the winter.
I have some gripgrab merino liners & have both Gore gloves & some DHB waterproof gloves, plus some very thin DHB windproof gloves that I use as an outer layer to protect the thermal layer from the immediate cold. It ends up very bulky & makes shifting difficult - particularly on Di2 where the two shifters are very clos together, so feeling the difference between up/down & actually engaging just one switch is tricky. I'm looking at layering systems currently, hoping for better feel & warmth.
I'm also considering adjusting how I use the shifters - current set up is syncro shift, so only use RH unit & it auto shifts the front as I shift up & down the cassette. I'm considering amending to make both left shifters work as a downshift & both right as an upshift, or setting just the rear switch on each side to work up/down.
If you want an early start, then think about using urban area's if possible to start your mileage, then head further out as dawn starts to break. I do enjoy a sunrise. Otherwise it is simply deciding that you're going to hit a particular mileage & just getting your head down & getting it done.
Hopefully we can have some decent weekends without wind & rain, so that everyone can complete their challenges.
I've attached a picture taken at the weekend, from the side of May Hill looking back towards Taynton/Tibberton. Views like this make early starts worthwhile (picture doesn't do justice to the morning, soft sunlight enhancing autumnal colours & banks of mist hanging to add to the atmosphere).

Attachments

• IMG_20221016_075045677.jpg
    IMG_20221016_075045677.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3

steverob

Guru
I'm not going to disagree with you that January is the hardest month - there's been at least two occasions where I have fully intended to join this challenge (and maybe even stated in this thread that I was "in") and then due to poor weather, lack of fitness or just plain laziness, I haven't even logged that first ride! It's one of the reasons that this year I got my January ride done on New Year's Day - I saw an opportunity to get a ride in early and that then meant I had almost two months before I had to do my next one.

I'm not too bothered about the cold unless it's icy - that is a condition where I draw the line, as I've gone down on the road in icy conditions too many times before. It was okay when I was younger and could just bounce straight back up, but those days are long gone! I do feel you on the Di2 shifters in thick gloves thing though - I don't have electronic shifting on my bike, but have borrowed someone else's before in wintery conditions and feeling the difference between up and down was quite difficult with all that padding.

My main issue with the first and last months of the year is the lack of daylight - unlike yourself I'm not in the habit of getting up early as I like my weekend lie-ins far too much. Plus I have a terrible procrastination habit, which means I can quite easily find myself at a point in the day when it gets to less than four hours before sunset and I realise that I've missed my opportunity to ride (at that point I'll probably still go out for a 50km ride though).

Top Bottom