The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingswayRider

Über Member
I'm not going to disagree with you that January is the hardest month - there's been at least two occasions where I have fully intended to join this challenge (and maybe even stated in this thread that I was "in") and then due to poor weather, lack of fitness or just plain laziness, I haven't even logged that first ride! It's one of the reasons that this year I got my January ride done on New Year's Day - I saw an opportunity to get a ride in early and that then meant I had almost two months before I had to do my next one.

I'm not too bothered about the cold unless it's icy - that is a condition where I draw the line, as I've gone down on the road in icy conditions too many times before. It was okay when I was younger and could just bounce straight back up, but those days are long gone! I do feel you on the Di2 shifters in thick gloves thing though - I don't have electronic shifting on my bike, but have borrowed someone else's before in wintery conditions and feeling the difference between up and down was quite difficult with all that padding.

My main issue with the first and last months of the year is the lack of daylight - unlike yourself I'm not in the habit of getting up early as I like my weekend lie-ins far too much. Plus I have a terrible procrastination habit, which means I can quite easily find myself at a point in the day when it gets to less than four hours before sunset and I realise that I've missed my opportunity to ride (at that point I'll probably still go out for a 50km ride though).

It sound like you need a banker route - something fast & flowing that you can smash out when you've left it late & need a sub 4 hour 100k. For me that would be a run out towards Thornbury & if I'm focused on getting on with it rather than just plodding along, then the 100k can be squeezed down to 3.5hrs. Of course, I'm more focused on Wandrer map filling on my pre-rides & that often involves dead ends & cul-de-sacs, which destroys average speeds. I tend to push on for the extra mileage too - that Eddington number of 75 is still there to be chased down.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It sound like you need a banker route - something fast & flowing that you can smash out when you've left it late & need a sub 4 hour 100k. For me that would be a run out towards Thornbury & if I'm focused on getting on with it rather than just plodding along, then the 100k can be squeezed down to 3.5hrs. Of course, I'm more focused on Wandrer map filling on my pre-rides & that often involves dead ends & cul-de-sacs, which destroys average speeds. I tend to push on for the extra mileage too - that Eddington number of 75 is still there to be chased down.

:laugh: I need one of those routes. It'd need to be a downhill all the way for me to get close to those kind of times. Or maybe some kind of moving roadway.

steverob

Guru
I do have my "fast flat 50km" route that I roll out from time to time, which I mainly came up with for those days when I was working from home and thought I might be able to squeeze in a decent length ride between the end of work and the sun setting. Think the fastest I've ever done it was about 1:53, but it's usually more like a tad over the 2 hour mark - I vary between doing it clockwise and anti in order to keep it fresh.

It's possible that I'd be able to look at ways I can extend it to give me a 100km route, but I very quickly run out of flat terrain heading any further in that direction (or would have to use much busier roads) so I need to do some research.

Also it'd certainly be more than four and a half hours needed to do even the easiest 100km route - my fastest ever metric centuries (that weren't closed road sportives) are about 4:10-4:15 and all of those were from 2015-16 when I was a lot fitter and lighter! My fastest ride of that length in the last twelve months would have been just slightly over 4:30 and that benefited from having a tailwind most of the way (caught a train to Banbury and cycled back home).

Last edited:

KingswayRider

Über Member
I do have my "fast flat 50km" route that I roll out from time to time, which I mainly came up with for those days when I was working from home and thought I might be able to squeeze in a decent length ride between the end of work and the sun setting. Think the fastest I've ever done it was about 1:53, but it's usually more like a tad over the 2 hour mark - I vary between doing it clockwise and anti in order to keep it fresh.

It's possible that I'd be able to look at ways I can extend it to give me a 100km route, but I very quickly run out of flat terrain heading any further in that direction (or would have to use much busier roads) so I need to do some research.

Also it'd certainly be more than four and a half hours needed to do even the easiest 100km route - my fastest ever metric centuries (that weren't closed road sportives) are about 4:10-4:15 and all of those were from 2015-16 when I was a lot fitter and lighter! My fastest ride of that length in the last twelve months would have been just slightly over 4:30 and that benefited from having a tailwind most of the way (caught a train to Banbury and cycled back home).

Here's a little 50km spin out from the end of August.
https://www.strava.com/activities/7727188091/segments/2999768792671096684

Head down to start (Strava 5 mile section from Elmore to Saul averaged 20.9mph), a bit of heatmap filling (note all the little bumps around Frampton), then a steady ride home. Pretty flat route & riding solo. Very lucky to have such an easy spin out on the doorstep & plenty of options to extend - @Donger knows these lanes well, but takes a more "leisurely" approach.
I've focused more on distance than speed this year, being well on track for meeting targets (5 consecutive months of 500+ miles done), with the 5000 looking easily achievable & actually now chasing 5200 (to achieve an average of 100 miles a week for the year). Lots of 5's to my targets...before the big five zero hits. 300+ miles short of monthly average in February...Covid 1 - me 0
Someone said it is all downhill after 50, so relishing the thought of downhill only routes...
Warmley tomorrow (Ticking Tortoise), so should have a 100 mile ride to add to the list.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another year completed (with my 40th 100k of the year) - just the three years so far for me.

Well done buddy. Smashing it.

steverob

Guru
Well we have four finishers of the challenge already; well done @Willd, @Sea of vapours, @Sbudge and @KingswayRider.

I have no idea when I'm going to get a chance to do mine - I haven't even done my 50km ride for the month yet (sorry @13 rider!). If I can get one of the challenges completed on Christmas Eve, then maybe the other one will fall on the 28th or 29th depending upon the weather.

Every year I say I'm not going to leave finishing off my challenges to the last minute and every year I make a liar of myself. I was the last to complete the Half Century challenge in 2020 and 2021, so at least I've got consistency on my side!

KingswayRider

Über Member
I'm glad I got mine in early. A weekend away & then a weekend lost to icy conditions has meant I haven't been able to add to my tally. Aiming to squeeze in a short ride Saturday (only 40 miles, but over 1000m ascent) & xmas at the inlaws, so aiming to take bike & get out a few early mornings, but no chance of a 100k unless I cycle home on the 28th.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Well we have four finishers of the challenge already; well done @Willd, @Sea of vapours, @Sbudge and @KingswayRider.

I have no idea when I'm going to get a chance to do mine - I haven't even done my 50km ride for the month yet (sorry @13 rider!). If I can get one of the challenges completed on Christmas Eve, then maybe the other one will fall on the 28th or 29th depending upon the weather.

Every year I say I'm not going to leave finishing off my challenges to the last minute and every year I make a liar of myself. I was the last to complete the Half Century challenge in 2020 and 2021, so at least I've got consistency on my side!

First to start & last to finish...so long as you drag yourself over the line it's all good.

Top Bottom