The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Right, that's sorted, rides posted in the other thread and this one for chit-chat, got it^_^

What with Audaxes, Norwich 100, Dunwich Dynamo and some DIY routes, my year is actually all mapped out. Just gotta do 'em!:wacko:

Seen as I did the Jan ride might as well, Does mileage on the Turbo count, I did did the Argus bay classic on the Tacx last sunday?

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Staying at the Sis/Bro in-laws in Bromley this weekend, so I'd worked out a nice route down to Royal Tunbridge Wells.

Not knowing the area and coming from (flat) Norfolk, I didn't realise how flickin' hillly it was when I checked the route profile and there was 1000m of climbing:cry:

Set off at 06:15 as the sis/bro in-law were doing the Brighton half marathon and were up and ready, it was a bit chilly with ice on cars.

That meant what with the roads looking a bit slippy, and me not knowing the terrain, most descents were taken brakes on and 5mph!! I even had to walk DOWN Hogtrough Hill as it was so steep I couldn't slow enough without locking up!
And any descents where I picked up a bit of speed I just got so freezing cold :sad:

Going down Toy's Hill (slowly) I thought FFS, I got to go back up this! In Norfolk, any hill blip usually has a nice flat approach, but by the time I'd actually got to the bottom of Toy's Hill, the approach had already got me puffing and I had to bail and resort to 24" gear for the last 100m. I also walked up Hogtrough Hill too, which was just as hard as cycling!!

I did an extra 5km to nullify any walking I did, most of this extra km was due to me reading my route sheet in reverse for the return journey, which didn't go according to plan, so I got to see Hever Castle:dry:

But at least on the return I could make use of the sun warmed descents to make up a bit of time, I was desperate to at least do it at Audax speed and had 3/4 of an hour spare at the end:hyper:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to ride the Mini-Northwest Passage on Saturday but was put off by grim weather and organised a forum ride at short notice for Sunday which we did in lovely sunny conditions! (116 km or 72 miles).

see above:rolleyes:

Steve H

Large Member
I'm definitely in for this challenge. I got one in during January with the Yorkshire Christmas Pudding audax ride. I'm going to miss February though following my crash and time out. I'm back on again now, but not going to get my next one in until March, so I'll start again then.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm definitely in for this challenge. I got one in during January with the Yorkshire Christmas Pudding audax ride. I'm going to miss February though following my crash and time out. I'm back on again now, but not going to get my next one in until March, so I'll start again then.
If you are desperate, we could rustle up something for the weekend sir! Potsy missed last weekend's ride so perhaps he would be up a longish ride? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

eh! we asked you and you blew me off!!
I didn't say that I didn't want to ride with you and Paul - I said that I didn't fancy the route you will be doing around Whitworth, Rochdale etc!

My exact words were ...
ColinJ said:
Sorry, but I don't like any of the route from Lane Bottom through Burnley and Whitworth to Littleborough! It is too built-up and the roads are too busy. I'm never going to change my mind about riding places like that. I know they don't bother you or a lot of other riders who commute by bike, but I would probably give up cycling if I had to ride places like that all the time. The cars whizzing past me on Rossendale Road on Sunday were doing my head in! (I hate the section between Padiham and Cliviger Gorge but there isn't an alternative that doesn't involve big hills!)
Perhaps the next time we ride out to the Ribble Valley, I'll suggest riding out over the hills, so we just have put up with the A646 on the way back.

never noticed the traffic when we were out at all
You'd probably have a nervous breakdown if you were on my commute then
The A62 into Manchester at 8.00 in the morning is like a racetrack
I'm glad it's interspersed with cycle lanes for a bout half the time

having just been laid off again i wont miss that ride in the mornings!!

Top Bottom