The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
never noticed the traffic when we were out at all
You'd probably have a nervous breakdown if you were on my commute then
The A62 into Manchester at 8.00 in the morning is like a racetrack
I'm glad it's interspersed with cycle lanes for a bout half the time

having just been laid off again i wont miss that ride in the mornings!!
Going up that hill to the Manchester Road lights, I had a car race past me every few seconds. I couldn't believe how much traffic there was for a Sunday afternoon!

Actually - I'm showing my age ... How long is it since Sunday was a proper 'day of rest'? My parents were not that religious but I remember my dad telling me off for being too noisy on a Sunday. These days, Sunday is almost just another Saturday!

I definitely would not fancy a main A-road into Manchester in the morning rush! The roads here are bad enough.

I noticed the extra traffic going up through Cragg Vale at 15:30 today, presumably made up of parents on the school run and workers who finish early on Fridays.

eltelio

A few of us have taken up the Metric Century A Month challenge again in 2012 and since the original discussion thread seems to have disappeared, I have started this one to take its place.

I propose that the rules of the challenge should be relaxed slightly. It should still involve riding at least one metric century a month for a year, but I think it is unnecessarily restrictive to have to start in January. Why should someone reading this thread now and thinking that they like the idea of the challenge, have to wait 11 months to start? So, my suggestion is - post which month you started in and do another 11 consecutive months from then. Obviously, the 'points competition' must run Jan - Dec or it wouldn't make any sense!

Anyway - I did my first challenge ride in January. I found the ride a bit of a slog, but I had a bunch of forum members to keep me company and spur me on. I'm signed up with some of them to do the Mini-Northwest Passage audax a week on Saturday. That's about 120 km so if all goes according to plan, that will be February taken care of too.

How are the rest of you doing? And does anyone else fancy taking up the challenge now?
Thanks for the inspiration on this one Colin. I've been doing the challenge since January and now find I'm actually a ride ahead of myself. Though I'll not be resting on my laurels just yet. I've come to the conclusion that this is the sort of thing I'm going to have to do just to get me out of the front door. Setting myself challenges like this, that is.. All local rides up to now, usually with at least someone else but getting others interested is a problem in my neck of the woods! Most of the rides will be on MTB as well. Got a ride planned for next month in Northumberland which I'm really looking forward to. Thought I might have got in at least one ride in the Dales by now but it was'nt meant to be. Best of luck with your end of it anyway

eltelio

Looking at some of the other threads and ride registers I have realised that I dont stand a snowballs chance in the challenge stakes so I've decided to make it purely personal. As long as its getting me out there:surrender::biggrin:..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks for the inspiration on this one Colin. I've been doing the challenge since January and now find I'm actually a ride ahead of myself. Though I'll not be resting on my laurels just yet. I've come to the conclusion that this is the sort of thing I'm going to have to do just to get me out of the front door. Setting myself challenges like this, that is.. All local rides up to now, usually with at least someone else but getting others interested is a problem in my neck of the woods! Most of the rides will be on MTB as well. Got a ride planned for next month in Northumberland which I'm really looking forward to. Thought I might have got in at least one ride in the Dales by now but it was'nt meant to be. Best of luck with your end of it anyway
Blimey - 100 km offroad rides are a whole different ball game! The longest I have done were about 45 miles (72 km) and they almost killed me. Mind you, they were fairly serious MTB rides in rugged Calderdale and the surrounding area. I think offroad miles are equal to 2-4 average road miles depending on exactly what kind of offroad we are talking about.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Just tried to edit my list, don't seem to be able to:sad:

Am I being a div or is summut up?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I got the March metric century ride (102 km) in on Sunday with Alun, Steve H and potsy. I'm still fat and unfit, but the rides are slowly getting easier. If I did some other riding between metric centuries, it would help ... :whistle:

Does that mean my college run of 80 old English miles is above and beyond the call ???
We just call it 'showing off'! :thumbsup:

How often do you do that?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I got the March metric century ride (102 km) in on Sunday with Alun, Steve H and potsy. I'm still fat and unfit, but the rides are slowly getting easier. If I did some other riding between metric centuries, it would help ... :whistle:

We just call it 'showing off'! :thumbsup:

How often do you do that?
Ha,Ha I started last week properly on the fixie just one day,but this week i plan to do two rides to college on the slicked MTB because i have to carry all my outdoor kit !
Weather and daylight makes it more fun now unlike the few times i did it in January when i just suffered with cold,wet and wind.
Are we still up for the 1st April run ? Hope to meet up at Whalley again

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ha,Ha I started last week properly on the fixie just one day,but this week i plan to do two rides to college on the slicked MTB because i have to carry all my outdoor kit !
Weather and daylight makes it more fun now unlike the few times i did it in January when i just suffered with cold,wet and wind.
Well done sir! I'd find it hard to work up the enthusiasm for commutes that long. When I worked in Burnley, I only did the 30 mile round trip in the summer when the weather was good!
Are we still up for the 1st April run ? Hope to meet up at Whalley again
Oh yes!

That reminds me - I want to get my Cannondale back on the road for that ride since there are no leg-breaking climbs and lots of flat roads where its higher gearing would be fine. I need to either fix my old back wheel, take the rear Aksium off my Basso and replace the 9-speed cassette with the Cannondale's 10-speed, or buy a new wheel. I must get on that job ASAP.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well done sir! I'd find it hard to work up the enthusiasm for commutes that long. When I worked in Burnley, I only did the 30 mile round trip in the summer when the weather was good!

Oh yes!

That reminds me - I want to get my Cannondale back on the road for that ride since there are no leg-breaking climbs and lots of flat roads where its higher gearing would be fine. I need to either fix my old back wheel, take the rear Aksium off my Basso and replace the 9-speed cassette with the Cannondale's 10-speed, or buy a new wheel. I must get on that job ASAP.

Just a few jobs to sort then !
I will proberly be on the fixed again seeing as it's a flattish run.
The college run is mainly country lanes and i can divert and get Tatton park in aswell....less traffic is good for me !

Simon Cash

Well i am not sure what i am doing by thinking that this sounds like a good idea. Winter in Tassie, not quite the sort of weather to really inspire but at least no snow on the road sides.
Will bring my riding partner on board and let you know.
I am assuming that you will accept century riders from overseas?? (at least we do not need to worry about it being metric lol)

Top Bottom