The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Done another 80 miler today with a full day at college in between.....do i get Haribo's now ???.......oh and for extra browny points it was on a MTB with full panniers ! :eek:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am assuming that you will accept century riders from overseas?? (at least we do not need to worry about it being metric lol)
The more, the merrier, Simon!
Done another 80 miler today with a full day at college in between.....do i get Haribo's now ???.......oh and for extra browny points it was on a MTB with full panniers ! :eek:
Well I walked a few hundred yards to the local market and came back with a rucksack and three carrier bags full of shopping, so there!

(Okay, I admit it, it's not quite the same as doing 80 miles on a MTB with full panniers ... :whistle:)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
The more, the merrier, Simon!

Well I walked a few hundred yards to the local market and came back with a rucksack and three carrier bags full of shopping, so there!

(Okay, I admit it, it's not quite the same as doing 80 miles on a MTB with full panniers ... :whistle:)

I must admit to being a tad sore this morning ! The saddle is next to be changed on the MTB.....not a good long distance seat !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That reminds me - I want to get my Cannondale back on the road for that ride since there are no leg-breaking climbs and lots of flat roads where its higher gearing would be fine. I need to either fix my old back wheel, take the rear Aksium off my Basso and replace the 9-speed cassette with the Cannondale's 10-speed, or buy a new wheel. I must get on that job ASAP.
I decided to buy a pair of Campagnolo Khamsins for the bargain price of about £100 from Parker International. I think they will roughly be equivalent in quality and performance to the Aksiums - i.e. medium weight, solid, reliable training wheels. I'm still about 16 stone, so a bit heavy for my old Protons. Chunkier wheels are probably a better choice for now. I can sort the Protons out at my leisure and switch to them in the summer when my weight should be a lot lower than it is now.
I'm signed up with some of them to do the Mini-Northwest Passage audax a week on Saturday.
That's a quote from an earlier post of mine but I'm not sure why you posted it! :whistle:

potsy

Rambler
Does this even count as an 80 mile ride??? I mean 40 miles with a full days lazing about studying before riding home?
Sounds like 2 40 mile rides to me :whistle:

Did my March 100k on the forum ride with cj, that's 2 out of 3 months, maybe I can do an extra 1 in April and class that as February's? :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Does this even count as an 80 mile ride??? I mean 40 miles with a full days lazing about studying before riding home?
Sounds like 2 40 mile rides to me :whistle:
We were discussing a similar question on the last forum ride. Why is an audax '600' considered a 600 km ride when you probably stop off somewhere and have a kip in the middle? If the answer is that you aren't kipping at home then I've done lots of 750 mile rides in Spain, they just happened to be limited to 50-80 miles on any given day! :thumbsup:

Simon Cash

For my two cents worth i think rides should be considered what you do in a single sitting (so to speak).
Had a day off today, summer is fast running out here so took advantage whilst i could. Managed a 100k ride, first in quite a while so feeling a little heavy in the legs now :smile:. This site was quite good for inspiration, even with a headwind from about 60km through to 80km :sad: That is March done so now to sort out one for April!!
If anyone is interested the following web site (http://www.rosebay.tased.edu.au/camera.htm) shows Mt Wellington. The first part of the ride is across the foothills so some very speccy views!! Some fairly decent uphills too!!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Did another 80 yesterday but took my time coming home and included i nice ride through Tatton......i love summer !!! Fixie need a new chain though,it's not a happy bunny !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've got so lazy that I'm barely doing any rides at all between the metric centuries! I have new wheels and tyres for my best bike which I will be using on our imperial century forum ride on Sunday, the sun is shining, but I can't even be bothered to finish putting the bike back together and test ride it!

Come back cycling mojo - all is forgiven! :sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I did my imperial century forum ride on 1st April which ended up being nearer 103 miles (165 km) due to one navigational error when tired.

I also did the Spring Into The Dales audax on Sunday, 15th April - 113 km (70 miles). (PS I developed a severe pain in my upper right leg late in the ride.)

Both of them on my Cannondale which has higher gearing than my Basso, so I had to try a lot harder on steep climbs.

PS

Also did Fossyant's Jodrell Bank forum ride on the 22nd - 116 km (72 miles) on the Cannondale. More very severe leg pain.

And Ajay's North Lancs./South Cumbria forum ride on the 29th - 135 km (84 miles), on my Basso. A few twinges in my leg, but not the pain this time.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I did my imperial century forum ride on 1st April which ended up being nearer 103 miles (165 km) due to one navigational error when tired.

I also did the Spring Into The Dales audax on Sunday, 15th April - 113 km (70 miles).

Both of them on my Cannondale which has higher gearing than my Basso, so I had to try a lot harder on steep climbs.

Do you think riding a higher geared bike forces you to go faster or just tires you out more on hills?

I am still undecided,I have quite low gearing on my Scott roadbike triple 30 tooth granny chainwheel and 28 tooth largest cog on the cassette means I can drop down into the lowest gear and spin up virtually all hills still seated.

By standing up and grinding I can get up most hills on the middle chainring (39 tooth) but arrive knackered at the top so take it easy for a bit getting breath back which probably wipes out the time gained from grinding up the hill.

Top Bottom