The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tongskie01

A 50/34 front setup with something like 28/12 at the back should be able to deal with most things once you've practiced and got fit enough. I would try not to buy a bike to make something easier that will get easier the more you do it cos then you'll just end up with a bike that is too low geared for you.

low gears in my opinion is necessary if youre doing hilly rides. i rather sit and spin up long hills with my low gear to preserve my legs. my top gear is 73 gear inches. i spin out at about 30 mph but that's when im sprinting. 19-23 mph more likely is comfortable speed for me.

Simon Cash

i ride a compact 50/34 but have changed rear cassette from a 11-23 to a 12-23 to give me a straight run from 12 thru 19. i find the small step ups to work much better when hill climbing as it gives small changes in cadence. it is also much better out on the flats, especially if riding into a headwind. you can easily purchase a new cassette to make hill work easier but martint is correct, do some work on the bike and you will soon get fitter. the hills will still hurt but it is only because you are riding them harder!!

potsy

Rambler
Getting back on topic, did 3 100km+ rides in April, 1st-101 miler, 15th SITD audax, 22nd 82 mile Jodrell ride, and will hopefully have May's done on Sunday up in the hills :thumbsup:

tongskie01

mine is just 14-28t at the back. triple 42/34/22 in front. reasonable pace for me on the flats is about 19-20 mph. downhill i just freewheel. i found out that as i go fitter im not using the smallest ring on my climbs instead its the middle ring im using. but then on short climbs ill just use the biggest ring. maybe u got the point. im over geared. i think its the weight of the rider that makes hill climbing hard.

billy1561

BB wrecker
mine is just 14-28t at the back. triple 42/34/22 in front. reasonable pace for me on the flats is about 19-20 mph. downhill i just freewheel. i found out that as i go fitter im not using the smallest ring on my climbs instead its the middle ring im using. but then on short climbs ill just use the biggest ring. maybe u got the point. im over geared. i think its the weight of the rider that makes hill climbing hard.
That would be my assumption too ^_^

billy1561

BB wrecker
Now i know i am at the other side of the world but even down here 160km equals 100miles. A bloody good effort in anyones language lol :smile:
It's kinda funny as i felt better the longer it went on as i generally do.

Top Bottom