The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good effort Colin
Well, I'd suffered like a dog in the wind all day so I thought the least I could do was to make up the distance when I got off the hill into the shelter of the town centre. I got some funny looks though from people sitting in their front garden as I did 15 laps of a short circuit. It was a rectangular circuit and ever so slightly uphill on one of the long sides so I rode up that side as fast as I could and recovered down the opposite side.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Well, I'd suffered like a dog in the wind all day so I thought the least I could do was to make up the distance when I got off the hill into the shelter of the town centre. I got some funny looks though from people sitting in their front garden as I did 15 laps of a short circuit. It was a rectangular circuit and ever so slightly uphill on one of the long sides so I rode up that side as fast as I could and recovered down the opposite side.
Ha Ha i've done similar many a time to make up a milestone. Great effort, as i said mate.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My August ride is under severe threat because I am laid low with a major chest infection. I have not ridden my bike for 3 weeks and am currently struggling to even walk a mile.

If I can get back on my bike in the next couple of weeks, I'll try and do 20 and 40 mile rides in the last few days of August and if I manage them then I will attempt the metric century at the end of the month.

I'm sorry to hear you are not well, Colin.

I enjoy your forum rides immensely and the company. The rides are always so well planned and thought out with great scenery.

Best wishes for a speedy return to good health.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm sorry to hear you are not well, Colin.

I enjoy your forum rides immensely and the company. The rides are always so well planned and thought out with great scenery.

Best wishes for a speedy return to good health.
Thanks. As reported elsewhere - my 'major chest infection' turned out to be something *a lot* more serious - pulmonary embolism! (For those who don't know - that's blood clots blocking up major vessels in the lungs, a potentially life-threatening problem.)

I felt that something was wrong when I started my July metric century forum ride to Otley. As we left Hebden Bridge, we were straight onto the climb of the Keighley Road and I was trying to talk to other riders. I found that I didn't have enough breath to ride and talk at the same time. This was way too early in the climb for it to be happening. I thought that I was just having a bad day.

4 days later, I did a 19 mile loop over the Cragg Vale climb. My breathing had got significantly worse in that time. I tried again 3 days after that and it was as though I had never ridden a bike before. As soon as I started to go uphill I was fighting to get my breath, as if I had just sprinted up one of those nightmare 20+% mountain top finishes they have been doing in this year's Vuelta. In fact, I had just started on a mere 3% gradient!

So that's my cycling done for 2012. I won't be fit enough to start the metric-a-month challenge again until about March or April 2013. I'll try and do 12 consecutive months from then.

All being well, I will come back a lot fitter than I have been over the past few years that I have been riding with other CycleChatters. I was fit in 2006 but already losing that fitness by 2007 when I joined CC. Very few of the 100-odd CCers that I have ridden with have ever seen me slim and fit except in my avatar photo! I've already lost a lot of weight, and it will start dropping off me once I can start doing hilly rides and walks again.

For those of you currently doing the metric-a-month - good luck with October, November and December! (September should be okay with the current spell of fine weather.)

david k

Hi
A few of us have taken up the Metric Century A Month challenge again in 2012 and since the original discussion thread seems to have disappeared, I have started this one to take its place.

I propose that the rules of the challenge should be relaxed slightly. It should still involve riding at least one metric century a month for a year, but I think it is unnecessarily restrictive to have to start in January. Why should someone reading this thread now and thinking that they like the idea of the challenge, have to wait 11 months to start? So, my suggestion is - post which month you started in and do another 11 consecutive months from then. Obviously, the 'points competition' must run Jan - Dec or it wouldn't make any sense!

Anyway - I did my first challenge ride in January. I found the ride a bit of a slog, but I had a bunch of forum members to keep me company and spur me on. I'm signed up with some of them to do the Mini-Northwest Passage audax a week on Saturday. That's about 120 km so if all goes according to plan, that will be February taken care of too.

How are the rest of you doing? And does anyone else fancy taking up the challenge now?
how do i join Colin?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

how do i join Colin?
There's nothing formal, just update the details of your rides in one post in the ride thread choosing the same style as one of the other posts. After a while, you will no longer be able to edit your own post, so use the 'Report' link below the post to ask a mod to edit it for you and give them the extra ride report to add to the end of the existing post. Good luck!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's nothing formal, just update the details of your rides in one post in the ride thread choosing the same style as one of the other posts. After a while, you will no longer be able to edit your own post, so use the 'Report' link below the post to ask a mod to edit it for you and give them the extra ride report to add to the end of the existing post. Good luck!

Don't worry about reporting it. Just copy and past your previous list with the addition and post. I will then delete the previous list.
We get enough reports clogging up the mods board as it is :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Don't worry about reporting it. Just copy and past your previous list with the addition and post. I will then delete the previous list.
We get enough reports clogging up the mods board as it is :thumbsup:
I'm not being funny, but how do you know when to do it if people don't use reports to tell you? If you have to keep checking to see if anything needs deleting, isn't that more time-consuming than just responding to a report? :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not being funny, but how do you know when to do it if people don't use reports to tell you? If you have to keep checking to see if anything needs deleting, isn't that more time-consuming than just responding to a report? :whistle:

I just check. Seeing as I add a ride most weeks.

Top Bottom